PDA

View Full Version : Mares abyss 22

cheebaweebie
10-16-2007, 23:44
Bought mares abyss 22 6 months ago and have some comments / questions... when upright, the reg breathes different then when upside down. Compared to my old spare (Sherwood Oasis) the mares breathes a little more difficult at depth. Like the looks and the weight and design of the reg is nice but performance to me isn't outstanding. I pair the reg up with my Steel hp 120s and when diving some times and taking a breath, the sound it makes doesn't sound smooth. kindof choppy but it still breathes ok.
Wanted to see if anyone else has similar experiences with this reg ?

medic001918
10-16-2007, 23:52
I dive that same reg, and haven't experienced any issues with it. The breathing has been second to none, and always consistent. Maybe one of the settings needs to be adjusted? Bring it to your shop and have them give it a good once over. I know it's only six months old, but it doesn't mean an adjustment didn't come loose.

Shane

Bring the Payne
10-17-2007, 01:05
I have to agree with Medic. Ive been diving my abyss for a couple months and haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary. Maybe yours didn't get set up properly?

Aussie
10-18-2007, 03:28
The Mares Mr22 Abyss has to be one of the best breathing regs that I have ever used. I had my Technician tune it when I first had it and it breathed well at any depth. I am sorry I sold it.

Aussie

comet24
10-18-2007, 05:54
Never had any problem with my Abyss. Breaths great at any depth to rec levels and in any position.

dludwig
10-18-2007, 07:26
I love my Abyss. Had a MARES Rebel that gave me some problems on a deep cold water dive. Immediately bought an Abyss & have had nothing but good luck w/ it !!!

No Misses
10-18-2007, 11:25
I have been diving a Mares MR22 Abyss for ~4yrs. It is a great breathing reg. You may want to have it serviced. If you are mechanically minded you can adjust it yourself.

Note: This is your life support equipment. Do not attempt this if you are not confident that you understand how a regulator works.
1) Unscrew LP hose from 2nd Stage
2) Insert allen wrench into adjustment screw (inside hose port)
3) While depressing the purge button, turn the adjustment 1/16 to 1/8 turn counter clockwise.
4) Reassemble and test the reg. If it got harder to breath, you turned it the wrong way.

If this did not help, buy a $20 Intermediate Pressure gauge. I believe that the IP of the MR22 Abyss is 142-147 PSI (9.8-10.2 BAR).

I hope this helped.

jeffscuba1043
10-18-2007, 11:31
It is unlikely that you have a first stage problem. What you describe as being a difference in breathing when the regulator is "upside down" is caused by the difference in water pressure in relation to your lungs. When you are face down in the water the second stage is generally deeper than your lungs. When ylu are on your back looking up the second stage is shallower than your lungs thus there is more pressure on your lungs than is on the main diaphram of t he second stage. There is no getting around physics.

Advokat
10-19-2007, 04:13
When I'm up side down in the water, I find it extremely hard to breathe out of the Abyss and there is some salt water coming in with air when I'm up side down.

ScubaToys Larry
10-19-2007, 07:48
When I'm up side down in the water, I find it extremely hard to breathe out of the Abyss and there is some salt water coming in with air when I'm up side down.

As Jeffscuba1043 pointed out - you can't change physics. If the diaphragm is higher, there is less pressure so you need to supply that additional pressure by a stronger inhale.

And if at funny upside down type angles, the exhaust valve is not at the top instead of the bottom, and a little water might sneak in as it tries to close... It normally does anyway, just in an upright configuration, any water getting in stays down away from the mouth piece - but inf inverted - everything gets to your mouth.

So unfortunately, every conventionally styled reg in the world will give you the same result - so either don't invert, or get a side exhaust reg that does not care if it's up or down... like a poseidon odin jetstream (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=OdinJetstream).

cheebaweebie
10-19-2007, 16:53
Thanks for the info guys. I will get it checked out. I love the reg. Just want to make sure it is operating properly.