PDA

View Full Version : Seasickness

Foo2
07-17-2007, 12:26
Hey everybody!
I'm leaving for my cruise tomorrow and I had planned on using those seasickness patches you put behind your ear and was wondering if any of you have had negative experiences wearing those while diving. I already know about ginger and all that good stuff, but I've never done anything but the patch in the past. Any suggestions are welcomed!

Foo2

jacewindu
07-17-2007, 12:52
though that would work, i'm sure the patch will do fine. I usually don't have problems, so I don't take anything, but everyone i've seen with the patch seems just dandy on the boat.

TxHockeyGuy
07-17-2007, 14:41
If you're worried about getting sick on the cruise ship, don't worry about it. Those ships are incredibly stable. We were in 12' seas and there was nothing but a very slow gentle sway to the ship. For the trip on the dive boat I wouldn't know. I'm not susceptible to sea sickness at all. I've been on boats where even the captain was sick and I was fine.

Joew
07-17-2007, 15:06
Foo2, I'm assuming you're refering to Scopoderm patches. I'd be weary of using these, or any other drug, before diving. If I were you, I would call DAN before your trip and see what they think. They should be able to give you a list of motionsickness medications that are ok for diving. Other than that, here are some general tips: Stay hydrated, get a good night's sleep, don't drink too much alcohol the night before, and stay to the lee side of the boat.

Foo2
07-17-2007, 15:08
I have been on two cruises before and wore the patch. My last cruise I tried to take my patch off a couple of days in and I started feeling some nausea after about 6 hours. My main concern is the dive boat and the fact that it is medication and I'll be diving with it. Have any of you done any dives with them on?
<DIV>Foo2</DIV>

tx.lakerat
07-17-2007, 15:10
Don't eat the TOT'S!!

TxHockeyGuy
07-17-2007, 15:11
I have been on two cruises before and wore the patch. My last cruise I tried to take my patch off a couple of days in and I started feeling some nausea after about 6 hours. My main concern is the dive boat and the fact that it is medication and I'll be diving with it. Have any of you done any dives with them on?
<div>Foo2</div>

Found this on the DAN site if you haven't read it.

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=57 (http://www.divers&#097;lertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=57)

Foo2
07-17-2007, 15:43
Good article David! Thanks! I feel better about it now.
<DIV>Foo2</DIV>

the gooch
07-17-2007, 17:29
If you are going to use the patch while diving you will want to clean the area it is going to be applied to with alcohol really well. Let dry, and then attach. If you do not get it on really well to begin with you will lose it on a dive. I have also noticed that if you are going to use the patch, continue to use it. If you decide to take it off while still out you will more than likely get sick as you have noted.

Queen
07-17-2007, 19:13
I get wicked dry mouth with the patch but it still works better than anything else. I took some orange slices in a baggie in my BC pocket and sucked on 'em while I was at the surface waiting to re board the boat.

Zenagirl
07-18-2007, 07:43
The DAN article is great isn't it? If it makes you feel any better, I just got back from a 2 week liveaboard trip where I wore a patch everyday and did 4-5 dives a day. No problems. http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley1.gif

texgal@heart
07-18-2007, 10:06
I am extremely prone to seasickness on smaller boats. In fact I wasn't when I was younger and went boating on choppy lakes. I was on a cruise ship (no probs), went diving in St Maarten and had lots of seasickness issues, went diving in Nassau with the patch and had no problems. I 2nd or 3rd whoever said make sure you clean the area with alcohol before putting on. I went diving with my local dive boat and had a patch fall off sometime during my 1st of 2 dives. Definitely had an uneasy time on the boat after that. I have tried the oral meds but have found nothing that works as well as the patch. Just had my doc call in another prescription, so I can enjoy my dives next week.

mwhities
07-18-2007, 11:07
You must have been on a small boat... I've been on Carnival's Conquest and Norwegian's Sun and I've never had a problem with sea sickness. Unless you consider all the beer I drank. ;) (although, I didn't get to sick and throw up. :P)

Michael

fire diver
07-18-2007, 11:17
If you're worried about getting sick on the cruise ship, don't worry about it. Those ships are incredibly stable. We were in 12' seas and there was nothing but a very slow gentle sway to the ship. For the trip on the dive boat I wouldn't know. I'm not susceptible to sea sickness at all. I've been on boats where even the captain was sick and I was fine.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I guess you've never been through 30-40 foot sea on a cruise ship then. THAT was a wild ride. Funny how soo few people can adapt to a rolling ship. I had fun, but my wife....not so much. That was a bad day. It was so bad, the swimming pool emptied out into the buffet room. The top deck of passengers (cabins) got soaked. THis was on a Royal Caribbean 1000 ft ship.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>FD</DIV>

TxHockeyGuy
07-18-2007, 13:01
<div></div>
<div>I guess you've never been through 30-40 foot sea on a cruise ship then. THAT was a wild ride. Funny how soo few people can adapt to a rolling ship. I had fun, but my wife....not so much. That was a bad day. It was so bad, the swimming pool emptied out into the buffet room. The top deck of passengers (cabins) got soaked. THis was on a Royal Caribbean 1000 ft ship.</div>
<div></div>
<div>FD</div>

Nope, but I have been on a car ferry in 20-25 ft seas that had no stabilizers. I would think given modern cruise ships stabilizer systems that would be pretty similar. I certainly didn't enjoy the ride but I did not get sea sick. I'm surprised they hadn't emptied the swimming pools on your ship. On the Carnival Conquest they were emptied every evening and I would presume they could do the same on the Royal Caribbean liners. Certainly glad that didn't happen on my cruise, surely would have made it far less enjoyable. I did ask several of the crew what the roughest seas they had been in were and they told me it didn't get worse than 15' seas that they had ever seen (for our particular ship route). That's the same ship route that Foo2 will be taking so she shouldn't have to deal with any 30' waves, at least I hope she doesn't have to deal with any.

quarrydiver
08-12-2007, 12:10
We've done cruise ships and small boats. You never know how rough it'll be but if you use the patch you should be fine. We always see a couple people try to tough it out and they end up miserable. My wife uses the patch and i take bonine. they both work. just remember not to touch your eyes after touching the patch or you'll be out for a couple dives.

thor
08-13-2007, 14:08
Hey Foo2:

Always keep your eyes on the horizon, and avoid smoking too many stogies. Also avoid anything that those European divers are eating, no matter how tempting it may look or how persistent they are.

namabiru
08-13-2007, 19:49
I'm conflicted on what to get for myself, now. Someone told me the regular pills don't work, and I need to get some high octane meds (a patch). Yet when I read the DAN article, it seems that perhaps a patch may also give me some nasty heebie-jeebies. *shrug*.

(Or perhaps just take them all and hope something works... in that case, I'll take a trip and forget to leave the farm...)

thesmoothdome
08-13-2007, 19:54
Foo2, I'm assuming you're refering to Scopoderm patches. I'd be weary of using these, or any other drug, before diving. If I were you, I would call DAN before your trip and see what they think. They should be able to give you a list of motionsickness medications that are ok for diving. Other than that, here are some general tips: Stay hydrated, get a good night's sleep, don't drink too much alcohol the night before, and stay to the lee side of the boat.

I used the patches before they were pulled from the market in the mid 90s. Made 100s of dives on them without a problem. When I started diving again last year, I naturally got a prescription for them since they're back on the market. Spent a week on a boat last month, making 23 dives, and didn't have any trouble with them whatsoever. That said, I do have the unfortunate side effect of diallated pupils when I use the patch. I can't read when I have my contacts in. No trouble with my guages, just books and magazines. Regardless, I'll continue to use them and dive with them because it sure as hell beats being sick.

namabiru
08-13-2007, 20:33
How long do you find your eyes are dialated?

thesmoothdome
08-13-2007, 20:39
How long do you find your eyes are dialated?

The whole time I'm on the patch. It usually starts by the 2nd day I'm on the patch and then takes a day or two after I stop using it to go back to normal.

junzhang
09-24-2008, 00:26
just wanna ask, does "fishman's friend" work?

wxboy911
09-24-2008, 07:18
http://www.soothing-scents.com/boating.html

Anyone ever tried that? I don't think its on the same level as the patch but it might be worth looking into.

UCFKnightDiver
09-24-2008, 07:46
Something interesting, it has been suggested that if you take a suddafed (a real one) with a dramamine, the cns enhancing qualities of the suddafed may make you less tired as the dramamine does make you tired.

Suggested when asked if it could be true, by a doctor, and a pharmacist.

3rdEye
09-24-2008, 08:18
my experience has been dramamine does the job for me....Bonine didn't do dork. Now, I have these PSI bands, which allow you to dial in accupressure on your wrists, and unlike the cloth Sea Bands, they are plastic and waterproof. So, I'm probably going to give these a try in coz, and see what happens.

cyclone3565
09-24-2008, 08:50
I would not worry about the big boat either, it is more likely the little ones that might cause you a problem. Where are you going?

MDDIVER
09-24-2008, 10:24
There is non drowsy Dramamine. I have to take it sometimes while I am at work. Crazy since I spend 95% of my work week on a boat. However I find that if I drink plenty of water and make sure I have some bread like toast in the morning I tend to not have any problems.

monant
09-24-2008, 11:06
I once read that when you have motion sickness, at first you are afraid you are going to die. Some time passes and the sickness gets worse and you become afraid you will not die.

During my bouts of seasickness I would wager that I get sicker than anyone else on earth! My last live aboard was no different. The over the counter medication was of no use. After letting the Meclizine leave my system I placed a Tranzderm Scop patch behind my ear. Several hours later I was well and able to dive.

The reason I didn’t use the patch at first was because I tried it out a week earlier at home and didn’t like the side effects. My mouth was extremely dry, my eyes were dilated, and I just felt under the weather. However, those side effects were no comparison to the seasickness. I found that these side effects were not as prevalent on the boat as they were at home.