PDA

View Full Version : Back inflate equalization question

dallasdivergirl
10-17-2007, 11:21
On my recent trip to Bonaire I was noticing that my back inflate (Brigade) was holding most of the air on one side or the other so when I was looking at the coral from the horizontal position I would be one side higher than then other. The dive shop did not have 1 lb weights (which I will carry with me from now on) so I had to put one 2 lb weight in one of the back weight pockets. That did not really seem to affect which side the air went on. I would go vertical and get the air at the top and try to get the air more equal per side but that did not seem to help much.

Any ideas? Tips? Tricks?

ScubaToys Larry
10-17-2007, 12:21
The first thought would be how much weight are you carrying? When I'm diving - especially warm - even at depth, I have virtually no air in the bc at all... If you need much in there - might be carrying a bit too much lead.

If I'm diving with a heavy suit, and have to add air to compensate for the compression, I find that just tilting up slightly, all air runs to the top, then I can flatten out again and everything ends up in the right spot.

dallasdivergirl
10-17-2007, 12:50
The first thought would be how much weight are you carrying? When I'm diving - especially warm - even at depth, I have virtually no air in the bc at all... If you need much in there - might be carrying a bit too much lead.

If I'm diving with a heavy suit, and have to add air to compensate for the compression, I find that just tilting up slightly, all air runs to the top, then I can flatten out again and everything ends up in the right spot.

I was only carrying 6 lbs of lead. I really could not get any lighter especially with them only having 2 lb weights & larger. I need some in each pocket and some in the back so I don't have floaty feet. This did not affect my diving or diving experience, I just kept messing with it.

I did try the upright & it did seem to help some. I try not to have too much air in there but I had more than I wanted in there.

bperrybap
10-17-2007, 13:43
I dive the Brigade as well.
I haven't had any rotational buoyancy/balance issues
that couldn't be resolved by re-balancing the air.
Although I have noticed that if there is water in the wing/bladder
that the air doesn't always balance out properly.

The trick to balancing out the air is not only tipping up
but then how you tip back down.
The angle/rotation you are at when you tip down is the
rotational angle the BC will tend to hold you in.
It also helps not to tip back down super quickly.

So if you tip back down with your right shoulder lower
than your left, the BC will tend to hold you in that
position because more air went into the left side of
the bladder.

Also make sure you aren't carrying a really heavy
flashlight in one pocket. That can through off your balance.

I've also had problems with dive shops having unmarked
different brands of weights and accidentally ending up with
more weight on 1 side than the other. Even off by 1 pound
is noticeable for me.

--- bill