PDA

View Full Version : Mask for a fat face?

Defman
10-17-2007, 14:52
Masks I have used:
Tusa Spendive IV
Cressi Big Eyes
Mares X-vision
Atomic Frameless

Everything except the Tusa has leaked like a sieve, kinda considering buying several of the Tusas in case they stop making them!

Two problems working against me.. a fat face and a hairy upper lip. I shave my cheeks (the ones on my face) and under my nose to help. I have a Mares Abyss reg and do notice that I get a lot of water in due to bubble interference.

Clanggedin
10-17-2007, 15:03
Did you try the Atomic Frameless Mediums? They are designed for larger faces.

Defman
10-17-2007, 15:09
My understanding is that the "mediums" in all brands is for small faces, not fat ones. Although I have considered trying one out with the theory being that maybe it won't sit as low on my cheeks.

For example:
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=XVisionMid

danielh03
10-17-2007, 15:18
have you looked at this one? ST just posted this one in the past 2 days

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=TilosFramelessMask

Clanggedin
10-17-2007, 15:20
My brother has an Atomic Medium and his face is larger than mine. He tried a regular and went with the medium because of the better fit and it had more room.

Your example is for a Mid skirt not medium skirt.

tbuckalew
10-17-2007, 15:50
It's not just the hair (used to dive with a full beard myself before I shaved it all off) - but the SHAPE of your face. Almost no two faces are alike and that is why it is strongly recommended that you go to your LDS and try them on the old-fashioned way.

Wrap the strap around the front (or take it off) - hold it to your face and breath in through your nose. A good fitting mask will suck into your face with no leakage. Stop breathing through your nose for a minute to check the vacuum and jerk your head up and down, side to side a few times. If the mask comes off - bad fit, try another size, brand, or style.

It is important to try it for more than a few seconds as a slow leak will also allow water to pour in.

Aussie
10-18-2007, 09:48
I have a big head and therefore must have a big face. I have the Tusa M-14 and several other copies of the same mask and I love it. Its a big mask.

Aussie

Venio
10-18-2007, 10:02
Have you tried the Atomic Subframe (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=AtomicMasks). Buddy of mine who refers to his head as a "melon" likes it very much. It may work for ya.

diversteve
10-18-2007, 13:48
I agree with Aussie, I have a big face (pudgy cheeks) and the Tusa M-14 - Visualator - works for me. And has a really good downward field of view. I dropped it once and using my other mask to retrieve it reminded me of that.

Defman
10-18-2007, 13:58
Thanks, I'll check out the M-14. The M-23 also looked like a possible contender.

Obviously my best course of action is to hit some local shops to see what fits AND see if I can hit the water with them on. Since I don't have a LDS yet, this could be a good recon mission!!

Defman
10-21-2007, 11:22
Stopped at Tom's Dive & Swim yesterday and tried on a few masks while waiting on a refund for some stuff. I did notice that some of the smaller masks did seem to seal better. He didn't have an Atomic Mediums but they are on order, I'll stop back in a few weeks to try one out. I didn't come prepared to water test them, but Warren (really nice guy) told me when the pool is open for anyone's use.

chip
10-24-2007, 17:48
And, the fit test that tbuckalew described earlier IS a good test. I am a Fireman and wear the mask to often, but that is how we do an instant mask test.

giortire
10-25-2007, 18:15
I have the same problem you do, a fat face and facial hair. I am very frustarted as I have tried the tests in the shops, and even the tests in the pool. Even though everything worked there, I have got past 20 feet and found that every time I turn my head, the mask leaks???
It has become a real problem.
I have an old Aqualung Quartz 2 that does not leak, and I keep going back to it, even though it is getting old, and won't last much longer.
I was recently on a dive in Curacao and had to borrow a rental after my CressiSub Bigeyes started leaking horribly every time I moved my head. The rental was some off brand (and pink), but did not leak a bit.
Who knows? My search will continue.