PDA

View Full Version : What to do when wetsuit fit is just a little off?

Paco II
07-09-2007, 23:58
So I recently purchased a Pinnacle Merino Elastiprene 7mm fullsuit. Love it. Rediculously comfortable. Warm. Only issue is that it is a little big in the chest. Just a little. Rest of it fits perfectly. It is a size M, so there really isn't another size that would fit better.

So here's my question: Can my wetsuit be 'taken in' a little without damaging it? I know there are places that will tailor wetsuits, but I worry about the integrity of the suit being compromised.

Comments?

ParrotheadDiver
07-10-2007, 06:21
I have heard that they can be altered and at one time I had a name of a place....but cannot think of it right now....I have a problem with them being too big in the arms I have now started using a .5mm underneath it and that helps a lot....only other choice is having a custom suit made and that can get expensive especially if it shrinks like my tend to dohttp://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif

Dive-aholic
07-10-2007, 07:28
If it's only a little too big, then I wouldn't worry about it too much. You're not likely to find an off the rack suit that will fit you perfectly. The only way to get a perfectly fitting suit is to have it custom made. None of the wet suits I own fit perfectly, but they all do the job they're supposed to do. ParrotheadDiver suggest a .5mm and that should definitely help, especially with putting it on and taking it off. I wear a skin under my 7mm just so the 7mm slides on and off easier.

ParrotheadDiver
07-10-2007, 09:01
Yep I use a skin sometimes too instead of the .5mmhttp://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley20.gif

TxHockeyGuy
07-10-2007, 12:16
My 7mm doesn't fit me quite right either, but it does fit nice and snug at all the seals so it keeps me quite warm. If that's the case I wouldn't worry about it. As far as getting it tailored to you, I think that would probably cost as much as if not more than a new suit. If you do go the new suit route try different manufacturers, bare suits fit me very well but others do not.

fishballer
07-10-2007, 12:56
my xcel wetsuit has the same problem, but water doesn't seep in, so i don't notice it underwater.

i just wear a rashguard and fleece top under it to "fill" it out.

just like how the girls pad with tissues, i suppose.

Paco II
07-10-2007, 12:57
Thanks for the tips all!

Can someone recommend a good .5mm or even a 1mm shirt to wear underneath?

I know pinnacle has a 3mm shirt, but not sure if that will be too much.

medic001918
07-10-2007, 13:00
Just don't forget that the more neoprene you have on, the more weight you need to carry. Don't let that part slip the equation before you dive again, otherwise you might not have enough weight with you to get the job done.

Shane

fishballer
07-10-2007, 13:31
scuba pro has a hybrid rashguard that might work for you.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>the one i use is a fleece of some sort. friend bought it for me in califoria. can't seem to find it online. i'll look at the brand at home and let you know.</DIV>

scubadiver
07-10-2007, 20:37
[QUOTE=Paco II]So I recently purchased a Pinnacle Merino Elastiprene 7mm fullsuit. Love it. Rediculously comfortable. Warm. Only issue is that it is a little big in the chest. Just a little.

I would suggest doing some pushups! smileys/smiley36.gif

Sorry, I couldn't help it!

fishballer
07-16-2007, 12:07
http://www.mysterioso.com/

i use their m tech fleece thingy. it's pretty warm and comfy.

frankc420
07-16-2007, 14:05
As suggested above, push ups would make it fit better. Do 3 sets of 10-15 for 2 weeks straight, then try on your suit, I'm sure it'll fit after that! :)

ScubaBoy
10-14-2007, 19:09
If the suit keeps you warm that's what's important. The idea of a wetsuit is to keep the water against you and let your body heat warm up the water. If the water can flow easily around your body, like if you didn't have a wetsuit, you will be cold. I the suit is too big it will let the water move around too much under the suit and you will be cold.

So, if the suit is keeping you warm the fit should be good. I've never seen a size chart that matched me perfectly, so you have to go with the "best" fit available which will often be a compromise. If the chest fits perfectly, yet the blood is cut off to your arms and legs that's not good.

RoadRacer1978
10-14-2007, 19:37
I agree with others if the suit is doing the job of keeping the water flow to a minimal and it is keeping you warm it should work pretty good. If the water is cool you will know if it is doing its job. When I look down too far and let that little bit of water trickle down my back I definately know it.