PDA

View Full Version : Galapagos over my head?

Geekybiker
10-17-2007, 17:56
Well me and the fiance are starting to plan our honeymoon. We're both interested in the Galapagos islands. However I have heard it referred to as an advanced dive destination. I dont want to book something over our heads. I have about 50 dives now, mostly in the Caribbean. Though I trained in coff's harbor in Australia with considerably rougher conditions. She's only been in the carribean with about 20 dives logged and we'll both have at least 10 more by the time we leave.

Thoughts on this? People been there and can comment on the conditions?

edit- of course I mispell the title... doh.

Illini_Fan
10-17-2007, 18:07
Never been there -- but I've read the the same articles. I did find someone that had been to both the Galapagos and the Great Barrier Reef which would allow me to make a comparison -- since I've been to the latter. I have 60+ dives and my AOW card (for what that is worth).

I decided that Galapagos will be a 2009 trip for me as I wanted to get another 60-80 dives under my belt including some in rougher conditions that you find in "blue water" destinations. Thus I'm planning on at least one trip to the Flower Gardens in the Gulf of Mexico. Also, the simple fact of another year of diving will hopefully add to my experience level.

The decision to postpone for a year is hard to quantify -- it just sounded like a trip I should have more experience for than I currently have.

dimitrimj
10-20-2007, 23:41
Be careful about booking trips to the Galapagos. We were supposed to go early Nov. and they cancelled all dive boats except Aggressor and Peter Hughes, but now it seems like they are back on again. The horrific thing about all of this, besides not getting to go now, is that they have opened up shark finning to the fisherman! How sad. I won't be supporting Ecuador at all!