PDA

View Full Version : 1mm Wetsuit?

Travelnsj
10-17-2007, 23:51
Just got back from Wakatobi....water was supposed to be 82 degrees...LOL...LOL.....it was 77 to 81. I dove a shorty with a 2mm vest froze my butt off. I put on my old Body Glove 3/2 today.....felt like a mummy.....No way will I dive in it. I have two more trips to Indonesia in the next 6 months....Although they say water is 82...I want to bring a bit more warmth in case I hit 79 degree waters.

So my question is who makes a 1mm that I can put my shorty over? I have looked at the Henderson Microprene...any suggestions?

comet24
10-18-2007, 04:56
I just picked up a Henderson Microprene for a live aboard trip coming up. Have to post a review in a few weeks.

deepdiver47
10-18-2007, 07:14
Look for a Mares Revolution. I have had one for years and like it.
It is also easy on the wallet at ~60. Just google it.

I had the same problem in Bali in July. It was 82 but a bit colder. I switched to my 3 mm full for late afternnon and night dives and was warm but also didn't like the reduction in freedom of movement.

Just got back from Wakatobi....water was supposed to be 82 degrees...LOL...LOL.....it was 77 to 81. I dove a shorty with a 2mm vest froze my butt off. I put on my old Body Glove 3/2 today.....felt like a mummy.....No way will I dive in it. I have two more trips to Indonesia in the next 6 months....Although they say water is 82...I want to bring a bit more warmth in case I hit 79 degree waters.

So my question is who makes a 1mm that I can put my shorty over? I have looked at the Henderson Microprene...any suggestions?

ParrotheadDiver
10-18-2007, 07:50
Akona makes a 1mm

http://www.akona.com/product.php?product_id=90

I use a .5mm under my 3mm farmer jane and I don't feel like a "mummy" but I know what you mean....it is hard for me to wear a full 3mm suit....

Travelnsj
10-18-2007, 09:56
That Akona looks great wonder how the Henderson compares to it.....So Larry or Joe....does Scuba Toys have the Akona (i cannot find it)?...I would rather spend my money here.

ParrotheadDiver
10-18-2007, 10:16
IMO Henderson would be the better of the two....ST also has a 1 mm by Neo Sport as well as an Oceanic .5mm that feels great on....

RocketMan
10-18-2007, 10:16
I like my Tilos 1MM VelvetLight (http://www.divesports.com/mall/tilos_ws_menJ1056velvet.asp) . I wear it under my 5mm Hyperstretch when I dive in 50F water. If the water is 75-80 F I wear it by itself.

Travelnsj
10-18-2007, 11:20
IMO Henderson would be the better of the two....ST also has a 1 mm by Neo Sport at well as an Oceanic .5mm that feels great on....

I looked at the Mens wetsuits on ST could not find a 1mm fullsuit anywhere? Could you give me the link?....Thanks

No Misses
10-18-2007, 11:49
Have you considered a farmer john? If the water is warm you can dive with just top or bottom half. If the water is cold, wear both pieces. I have done this on trips where I was not sure of water conditions. Before I got the farmer john I used a 3/2 full suit and carried a 3mil vest for extra warmth when needed or to wear by itself if the water is warm. JM2c

WaScubaDude
10-18-2007, 11:49

Bought a Bare .5 mm. will take it to Jamaica in November and let you all know if it is enough. Also have a 3mil shorty that can go over it. Did use the .5 mil under my fleece and drysuit, worked just fine.

MSilvia
10-18-2007, 11:55

I have a 1mm Henderson Microprene suit, but I'm afraid my opinion may not be much good to you, as I've used it in 65 degree water without feeling particularly cold. I usually dive dry, and consider 2 layers of 7mm to be acceptable, so I think my experience may not be of much use to someone who feels like a mummy in 3/2 and can freeze their butt off in water that's 10 degrees warmer than I ever see locally.

ParrotheadDiver
10-18-2007, 14:05
IMO Henderson would be the better of the two....ST also has a 1 mm by Neo Sport at well as an Oceanic .5mm that feels great on....

I looked at the Mens wetsuits on ST could not find a 1mm fullsuit anywhere? Could you give me the link?....Thanks

it is on the second page of wetsuits toward the bottom http://www.scubatoys.com/store/Scuba_Wetsuits_Mens.asp?PAGE=2

Defman
10-18-2007, 14:28
I'm happy with my Microprene full suit. I usually dive it or my 2.5 Parkway in CZM. Also have a 4/3 Neosport for the lower 70's stuff.

Zenagirl
10-18-2007, 14:59
I really like the Henderson microprene suit too. It's nice that it has foot loops so you can easily layer it under a thicker suit, but it definitely provides more warmth than a skin alone.

mike_s
10-18-2007, 16:43
I like my Tilos 1MM VelvetLight (http://www.divesports.com/mall/tilos_ws_menJ1056velvet.asp) . I wear it under my 5mm Hyperstretch when I dive in 50F water. If the water is 75-80 F I wear it by itself.

yeah.. .this is a great wetsuit for a 1mm. It's got a 'silver lining' that really sticks to your skin (to reduce water flow) and reflect heat. It's as warm as my 3mm (or feels that way).

Phil's got them on sale right now at that above link. click on the 'USED ITEMS' tab and see if he still has your size. (they aren't used, but that's the tab he put them under. i have no clue why).

nathanbarlow
10-19-2007, 06:13
Man if you all complain about the restrictiveness of a 3/2mm - how about the flexibiity (lack of) in a 7mm semidry?? Thats considered normal here for winter and a 5mm wetsuit would do for summer . . .

Foo2
10-19-2007, 13:52
I have a Henderson Trilam suit. It's really nice and keeps me warm. And plus it goes on pretty easily. You can find more about it on the Henderson (http://www.hendersonusa.com/product_trilam.html) site.

pnevai
10-26-2007, 19:24
Id love one of these 1.5 mil but cant fnd them anywhere

wisnu
11-02-2007, 05:51
I am happy with my Bare 1 mm thermal skin, easy donning and very light.

WaScubaDude
12-05-2007, 19:25
Dove my Bare 1 mil suit in Jamaica last two weeks. When I bought it I thought it was a .5 mil, but says 1 mil on the sleeve. Anyway, it worked really well. I stayed warm and did not experience the stings on the arm that two unsuited divers did. Figured out I needed to slosh a little conditioner on the inside of the legs and arms and it slid right on with no problem. Does anyone know of an environmentaly friendly slippery stuff?

Travelnsj
12-05-2007, 19:50
I got a 1mm Henderson Microprene and .05mm BodyGlove Isotherm...as I do not want to go to Lembeh and Raja and freeze my butt off like I did in Wakatobi.....got confirmation today....water is running about 84 degrees in both spots....LOL

chinacat46
12-06-2007, 06:07
I'll be in Lembeh in 2 days I'll let you know if really is that warm. It's been 84 almost every dive at Wakatobi. One or two dives it dipped to 82 but one or two dives it was 86(ahhhh)

Zenagirl
12-06-2007, 07:38
I got a 1mm Henderson Microprene and .05mm BodyGlove Isotherm...as I do not want to go to Lembeh and Raja and freeze my butt off like I did in Wakatobi.....got confirmation today....water is running about 84 degrees in both spots....LOL

You should have the perfect suits then! ;)

Travelnsj
12-06-2007, 09:43

Yeah...but the airlines are so strict on weight I do not want to carry them....So I am awaiting a first hand report from ChinaCat....and hopefully the resort is not telling me what I want to hear.....but he wears a 5mm in 86 degree water and his temp gauge my be malfunctioning:smiley5:

MSilvia
12-06-2007, 10:22
I switched to my 3 mm full for late afternnon and night dives and was warm but also didn't like the reduction in freedom of movement.
I've got a quick fix for the feeling that a 3mm reduces your freedom of movement. Try a 7mm farmer and jacket for a few dives. After that, a 3mm will feel like you're naked.

I have a Henderson Microprene too, and it's great aside from a tendency to "pill". I've used it for dives in the 60 to 85 degree range (I have trouble relating to the notion of "freezing ones butt off" in 77 degree water, as that's about 10 degrees warmer than I'm used to seeing at the peak of summer), and have been pretty happy with it.

Travelnsj
12-06-2007, 11:15
I've got a quick fix for the feeling that a 3mm reduces your freedom of movement. Try a 7mm farmer and jacket for a few dives. After that, a 3mm will feel like you're naked.

I have a Henderson Microprene too, and it's great aside from a tendency to "pill". I've used it for dives in the 60 to 85 degree range (I have trouble relating to the notion of "freezing ones butt off" in 77 degree water, as that's about 10 degrees warmer than I'm used to seeing at the peak of summer), and have been pretty happy with it.

LOL....that is the way a 1mm makes me feel....that is why I bought the .05mm.

WestTnDiver
12-06-2007, 12:28
Dove my Bare 1 mil suit in Jamaica last two weeks. When I bought it I thought it was a .5 mil, but says 1 mil on the sleeve. Anyway, it worked really well. I stayed warm and did not experience the stings on the arm that two unsuited divers did. Figured out I needed to slosh a little conditioner on the inside of the legs and arms and it slid right on with no problem. Does anyone know of an environmentaly friendly slippery stuff?

Try SuitJuice. It's made for triathletes and is biodegradable and environmentally safe. I bought it in Bonaire several years ago but found refills by Googling it.

chinacat46
12-06-2007, 16:17

Yeah...but the airlines are so strict on weight I do not want to carry them....So I am awaiting a first hand report from ChinaCat....and hopefully the resort is not telling me what I want to hear.....but he wears a 5mm in 86 degree water and his temp gauge my be malfunctioning:smiley5:

I did wear a 3 mm in Kimbe Bay when it was 86 but that was after 10 days of diving in 77-81 degree water in Australia and my core was already chilled. I didn't even have a 5 mm with me on that trip. Some of the dive guides here at Wakatobi were wearing 7 mm in 84 degree water but they dive so much I can almost understand why.