PDA

View Full Version : Second stage swivel

Venio
07-17-2007, 16:56
I have Mares XTR and was wandering if that (http://www.diverite.com/catalog/regulators/accessories/rg1315) swivel can increase the comfort of diving or is it just another gadget that solves no problem? I have to admit that the I felt the hose pulling my reg couple of times and found that annoying. However, could it be just me not positioning well my tank/reg?

Thanks!

WaterRat
07-17-2007, 18:28
Additional failure point that's not worth the risk. If your reg is pulling try different hose routing or different length hoses.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Ron</DIV>

cummings66
07-17-2007, 19:41
I'd agree that it's yet another potential failure point, but on the other hand they do work. My gear will never (there goes that word again, I'll be proven wrong the next coure I take I'm sure) have one of those on it.
<DIV></DIV>

somewhereinla
07-18-2007, 21:01
I have never heard of a swivel failed, actually the top reg. companies like Apeks, aqualung and Atomic which cater to tech diver as well, are pushing the swivel for 2nd stage. Please let us know what you sources are for your comment.

texdiveguy
07-18-2007, 21:13
Those swivels are perfectly safe to use....all scuba gear has failure points....I never have read or heard of an actual failure of a swivel. They are great for relieving jaw strain if you are like me and prowen to this as an issue.
If you have one,,,use it...you will like it!

ScubaToys Larry
07-18-2007, 21:25
Well... actually... you'll hear about a failure now...
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>There was a recall on a whole series of those distributed by one company. Here is the official document Recall (http://www.scubatoys.com/CPSC-Recall.pdf)</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>And I found that the weight of those is more of a problem than the hose. It makes the reg turn sideways in your mouth.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>If suffering from hose pull, my favorite solution is the boil and bite SeaCure Mouthpiece (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=SCI). But that is one guys opinion.</DIV>

texdiveguy
07-18-2007, 21:34
Well... actually... you'll hear about a failure now...
<div></div>
<div>There was a recall on a whole series of those distributed by one company. Here is the official document Recall (http://www.scubatoys.com/CPSC-Recall.pdf)</div>
<div></div>
<div>And I found that the weight of those is more of a problem than the hose. It makes the reg turn sideways in your mouth.</div>
<div></div>
<div>If suffering from hose pull, my favorite solution is the boil and bite SeaCure Mouthpiece (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=SCI). But that is one guys opinion.</div>

From the recall notice:
"Incidents/Injuries: The firm has received one report where the swivel separated during a dive and caused the diver to
ascend using the buddy breathing technique. No injury was reported."

Yep have already read that recall........everything manf. today has some level of failure. There is a solution for the said screw coming loose at the swivel. I have used the SeaCure mouthpiece with some succ. in the past..and for some it may be a solution...persl. a long bite Dive Rite mouthpiece and swivel are a better one....and I never found the swivels to be heavy either. IMO

CompuDude
07-19-2007, 04:03
Or go to a long hose, where the superior routing makes a swivel completely unnecessary.

the gooch
07-22-2007, 18:44
FWIW my wife has the swivel on her Aeris reg and had me remove it because it pulled out her hair. Don't know if this would be an issue with you or not.

the gooch
07-22-2007, 18:45
---woops nevermind. I was talking about the swivel on her 1st stage NOT second----

Black-Gorrilla
07-22-2007, 20:44
isnt the atomic swivel different though?
i only held an atomic with swivel for a few minuts and looked at it... but i trough it was diff.
kind of like a ball and cup thing??

texdiveguy
07-22-2007, 21:46
Or go to a long hose, where the superior routing makes a swivel completely unnecessary.

Not true.....I use a swivel on my 7ft. hose.....course I suffer with TMJ/jaw pain... smileys/smiley19.gif

texdiveguy
07-22-2007, 21:47

Not ness. true.....I use a swivel on my 7ft. hose.....course I suffer with TMJ/jaw pain... smileys/smiley19.gif

comet24
07-23-2007, 08:06
I use one one my Mares reg. They are well made. I got about 60 dive on it in the past 6 months with no problem.

Black-Gorrilla
07-23-2007, 17:35
isnt there a ball/socket one? cause this one looks like it just moves at certain angles, not full mobility?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

Black-Gorrilla
07-23-2007, 19:16
thats what i was asking in an earlier post.
<DIV>i have looked around but was not able to find that type... any ideas? </DIV>
<DIV>does atomic sell them by them selves??</DIV>
<DIV>thanks</DIV>

ScubaToys Larry
07-23-2007, 20:12
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Larry:</DIV>
<DIV>You talked meinto an atomicswivel 6 or 8 months ago. Good or me.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>The atomic ones are a much better design. That design is also used by Tusa in their swivel regs. I've never heard of a problem with those kind. And yea, it's kind of a ball and socket type end. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>And they are built onto the hose, so you must buy the whole hose.</DIV>

Black-Gorrilla
07-23-2007, 22:02
im sura that hose will cost me a leg or something important like that.

mobeeno
04-20-2008, 15:01
Additional failure point that's not worth the risk. If your reg is pulling try different hose routing or different length hoses.

Ditto