PDA

View Full Version : Dive knives and air travel.

LCFrigon
10-18-2007, 13:08
If a dive knife is in your checked baggage is it allowed on airplanes?

Bring the Payne
10-18-2007, 13:17
Yeah, as long as it is in your checked luggage. Obviously it's not allowed in your carry-on.

UCFKnightDiver
10-18-2007, 14:05
Yea just dont have it in your carry on or they make you throw it away, and dive knives in general are not particularly cheap!!!

reservecops
10-18-2007, 14:50
Yea just dont have it in your carry on or they make you throw it away, and dive knives in general are not particularly cheap!!!Except for THIS ONE:

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=ScubaMaxBCDdiveKnife

:smiley36:

terrillja
10-18-2007, 17:01
Yeah, I knew a guy who had a titanium knife in his pocket- we worked at a lumber hard, so he had it in his back pocket to cut the plastic ties. Since it was non ferro-conductive metal, it did not set off the metal detector. Once he was on the plane he realized that he had it, and put it in his laptop bag. When he went to fly home, he put his bag through the scanner, at which point they found the knife, called in the police, and he was searched and detained at gunpoint. He was arrested and charged with carrying a weapon into a secure area, which apparently is a felony.

FYI, this was at Miami International.

So to make a long story short, they might take your knife if you try to carry it on, or they may just arrest you. That could ruin your scuba trip.

When I travel, I put my knives in a pelican box with a note on the top that says it contains knives and to be careful. Haven't had any issues so far.

paintsnow
10-18-2007, 18:40
yeah, i always put a note on top of everything in the bag my knife is in to let the TSA know why i have a rather large titanium knife in my bag

picxie
10-18-2007, 19:57
I had a small knife in my BCD when I travelled recently. It was in my checked in gear so no issues.

Splitlip
10-18-2007, 20:22
Somebody tell me please why I can bring a 4" pair of scissors on a plane but not a Betty Crocker broken steak knife.

"because this is a BLADE sir". Bite me.

terrillja
10-18-2007, 20:26
I enjoy the fact that they were taking nail clippers for a while, yet Air France was giving you a serrated knife with your meal. Ironic or just plain stupid?

paintsnow
10-18-2007, 22:49
Somebody tell me please why I can bring a 4" pair of scissors on a plane but not a Betty Crocker broken steak knife.

"because this is a BLADE sir". Bite me.

i heard that TSA took a guys car key
it was a WV or Volvo style spring loaded flip-out
they deemed it a switchblade

total BULL

the key part of a switchblade being dangerous is the BLADE part
otherwise it would be called a switchkey and they would all be illegal

danielh03
10-19-2007, 01:38
Yea just dont have it in your carry on or they make you throw it away, and dive knives in general are not particularly cheap!!!

You can have the option of mailing it home now if you forget to check it... bummer to start your trip that way though.