PDA

View Full Version : I'm taking the Rescue course this weekend!

frankc420
10-18-2007, 17:09
So I've been waiting for this weekend for quite some time! Myself and 2 of my local dive buddies are taking Rescue class!

The instructor that we chose teaches for PADI and is also the head of the dive team for The Department of Homeland Security. He's already told us he's tougher than most instructors and he will for sure surprise us when we least expect it, just like a diver could if they suddenly were distressed.

Hopefully I come out of this course with MUCH more knowledge than my previous courses... which I'm sure I will.

Wish me luck! :smiley20:

RoadRacer1978
10-18-2007, 17:16
Sounds like a good course and a good instructor. Always good to be pushed and have to earn that cert.

Defman
10-18-2007, 17:34
Two things to expect & watch out for...

1. Mask strip.
2. Passive panic turning active.

Have a good time, my rescue class was the most fun out of all of them. My instructors (Greg Gebhardt, ScubaSteve & Woody) were top notch, and the guy who taught them happened to be there that weekend and helped out.

sudnit5
10-18-2007, 18:25
Have fun in the class, I am hoping to take the Rescue class soon as well.

chace_nicole
10-18-2007, 18:31
1st-Wow, head of the dive team for Homeland Security...pretty cool.
2nd-Good Luck, sure you will do great!
3rd-Let us know how it goes

ohiofireman
10-18-2007, 19:33
Hey do me a favor and shoot me an e-mail on here when you finish the course. I should be starting mine in about a week’s time or so. I am a little nervous and have no idea what to expect. Good luck and have fun!

:smiley20:

Athena2c
10-18-2007, 19:49
Have fun! My Rescue instructor snuck up on us a couple of times and messed with us...fond memories..
At least my husband and I learned we can carry each other out of the surf
:smiley20:

cgvmer
10-18-2007, 20:30
I have a question about the Rescue diver course. Is this taught essentially as a lifeguard course for divers?

I ask this as I recently renewed my Lifeguard cert, CPR and sat in on a WSI class (I didn't want to pay the fee and didn't need the card so the instructor let me take it unofficially) and was wondering how much more is taught for rescue diver.

Defman
10-18-2007, 21:20
I have a question about the Rescue diver course. Is this taught essentially as a lifeguard course for divers?

I ask this as I recently renewed my Lifeguard cert, CPR and sat in on a WSI class (I didn't want to pay the fee and didn't need the card so the instructor let me take it unofficially) and was wondering how much more is taught for rescue diver.

I'm not an instructor, but I play one on TV.... I'm sure some (maybe much) will be the same, but diving is going to add some stuff. You didn't mention oxygen provider, we had to do that for our class. Also a little more on the signs of DCS and first aid for that. You might try posting to the Scuba Traning area...

Chocoholic
10-20-2007, 13:16
My instructor just jumped out of the boat as it was running out to the reef (totally unexpected) and we had to "save" him by swimming out to him with what floatation we could find. He said that the boat had died so we had to swim to him.... it kept us on our toes, then he started with the panic attack stuff but I couldn't use the go under the water technique because I was snorkeling in a wetsuit with bouyancy. Good class, and good luck with it.

Advokat
10-20-2007, 15:47
Good luck with your course. When I did mine some time ago it was, but the only negative thing was that the other guy who was doing it with me was very weak and had no stamina- he was always tired and didn't move that fast at all...in real life I can see him being able to help someone

frankc420
10-20-2007, 17:46
Ok so day one of my rescue class is over, I'm wore out and ready to hit the hay, but of course my family (wife & kid) have other things in mind, like playing in the living room and going to get some dinner outside of the house.

So today we ran through several scenarios, each one building on top of the next:

1) Unconscious diver well over 100 yards out, face down, but still breathing with reg in their mouth. We were to tow them in, in one of the ways described in our material. This one was the easiest, but it was not easy.

2) Unconscious diver again, well over 100 yards out, face down, this time they were not breathing, I had to tow them in. About 30 yards from shore I was to remove the divers gear and mine, while giving rescue breaths every 5 seconds. (Do you know how hard it is to tow someone, remove gear for them, myself, keep their head above water at all times, and yell "BREATHE"?) The victim was wearing a Diverite transpac, it was a PITA to get off his arms, but I got him out and to shore w/o a problem. (we didn't have to pull them out of the water on this one)

3) Again, unconscious diver, over 100 yards out (I'm sure you guessed that), we were to turn them over (they were face down again), check the airway (of course they weren't breathing), do rescue breaths every 5 seconds while towing and removing gear, at the end we were to tow them onto shore.

4) Same as 3, but we had assistance from people on shore (other divers in the class of course) to help pull them onto shore. Only on this one the person helping me pull them on shore stepped on my fin and I ended up falling backwards onto the concrete... wasn't pleasant.

I'm not sure what he has in store for us tomorrow, but he says it's going to be much more physical, as in him harassing us all day I'm sure. We have more scenarios to run through as well.

I may not have described all of the above correctly (I may have left out some steps), but please bare with me, I'm tired!

Defman
10-20-2007, 21:04
So today we ran through several scenarios, each one building on top of the next:

1) Unconscious diver well over 100 yards out, face down, but still breathing with reg in their mouth. We were to tow them in, in one of the ways described in our material. This one was the easiest, but it was not easy.

2) Unconscious diver again, well over 100 yards out, face down, this time they were not breathing, I had to tow them in. About 30 yards from shore I was to remove the divers gear and mine, while giving rescue breaths every 5 seconds. (Do you know how hard it is to tow someone, remove gear for them, myself, keep their head above water at all times, and yell "BREATHE"?) The victim was wearing a Diverite transpac, it was a PITA to get off his arms, but I got him out and to shore w/o a problem. (we didn't have to pull them out of the water on this one)

3) Again, unconscious diver, over 100 yards out (I'm sure you guessed that), we were to turn them over (they were face down again), check the airway (of course they weren't breathing), do rescue breaths every 5 seconds while towing and removing gear, at the end we were to tow them onto shore.

4) Same as 3, but we had assistance from people on shore (other divers in the class of course) to help pull them onto shore. Only on this one the person helping me pull them on shore stepped on my fin and I ended up falling backwards onto the concrete... wasn't pleasant.

I'm not sure what he has in store for us tomorrow, but he says it's going to be much more physical, as in him harassing us all day I'm sure. We have more scenarios to run through as well.

I may not have described all of the above correctly (I may have left out some steps), but please bare with me, I'm tired!

You didn't mention it, but it sounds like all of the rescues have been on the surface, Day 2 will have them underwater... I would imagine that panics will also get covered. And searches.

tone
10-21-2007, 01:27
good luck

cgvmer
10-23-2007, 09:32
In these scenarios 1 and 3 (you state you remove yours in 2) are you in full gear? or are you using snorkel/fins/mask only?

diverdan
10-23-2007, 10:29
Hope you have fun with it. Keep us informed on how it went. I'm sure there's going to be some tough things to overcome. The challenge is what it's all about.

redneckdiver52
10-23-2007, 10:58
Good luck.

I know this was one of my favorite courses I have taken yet.

chefchris
10-23-2007, 13:37
The victim was wearing a Diverite transpac, it was a PITA to get off his arms

:smiley16:

Oh yeah, that was me. Sorry I don't wear my gear ghetto style.

At least you didn't forget about me and let me sink with no regulator in my mouth like Keith did. :smiley36:

beenerachi
10-23-2007, 13:43
this definitely sounds like a course that you gotta be in shape for! I'm eventually going to sign up for it - I finished my CPR/First Aid last night as the prereqs..and found out that CPR compressions are now 30 instead of the 15. After practicing several times yesterday, my arms are pretty sore. (I better hit the gym before actually taking the course for all the rescue scenarios!)

frankc420
10-24-2007, 21:58
In these scenarios 1 and 3 (you state you remove yours in 2) are you in full gear? or are you using snorkel/fins/mask only?

Full gear.. :smiley20:

frankc420
10-24-2007, 22:02
this definitely sounds like a course that you gotta be in shape for! I'm eventually going to sign up for it - I finished my CPR/First Aid last night as the prereqs..and found out that CPR compressions are now 30 instead of the 15. After practicing several times yesterday, my arms are pretty sore. (I better hit the gym before actually taking the course for all the rescue scenarios!)

Our instructor is an EMT also and he says that in real life you really need 2 people working on someone, one person continuously doing compressions and the other doing rescue breaths, this way the blood is continuously flowing with each compression.

It's funny how EVERYONE throws this in too, "If your not cracking ribs your not doing it right!"

frankc420
10-24-2007, 22:13
Day 2 started out great!

We started the day with UW rescues. Our first thing to do was to recognize a stressed diver, then get their attention and try to calm them. Our victim was instructed to be very resistant and I'm sure this is how it would be in a real event.

At first the victim wouldn't pay attention to me, then as I was trying to put my hands on him to try and sooth him and assure him everything was ok, he signaled that he was OOA. I immediately donated and went to my bunged backup regulator that I always have around my neck. Since I already had a hold of his chest strap I signaled that we were going up and gradually made our way to the top.

There was another UW scenario but honestly at this point I cannot remember exactly what we did... I'm sure it will come to me after I hit the POST button!

The 3rd scenario of the day was a panic diver on the surface, this was quite fun, as I went 3rd. The victim on this was a Sheriff that had gone through a public safety diver course so he had already done majority of these things, so he knew exactly how a panic'd diver would act. As a panic'd diver he immediately swam on top of the rescuer, so we proceeded to swim underwater behind the victim. This was by far one of the funnest things we did all weekend. I was able to be the victim for the Sheriff, I made sure to beat him up pretty good =)

The last thing I remember doing for the day, which I'm sure there was a lot between then and this, but I remember searching a 75 yard x 150 yard section for a piece of metal attached to a lift bag. We used search patterns, this was a PITA. I honestly hope to GOD I never have to do this IRL.

The visibility the whole weekend was from 0" to 6', but while doing the search and recovery we had 0" to 6". Many times it would go pitch black =\

divnhank
10-25-2007, 10:51
Sounds like it all went well, and challenged you to become a better diver. Get some more dives in and go for your DiveMaster!

frankc420
10-25-2007, 19:46
Sounds like it all went well, and challenged you to become a better diver. Get some more dives in and go for your DiveMaster!

I've already talked to him about that... :smiley20: