PDA

View Full Version : suunto d9

DGSPEAR
10-18-2007, 18:57
i'm looking at getting a suunto d9 wrist computer...does anyone have any experience with one of them. just looking to get some info before i buy it. thanks.

medic001918
10-18-2007, 19:18
I have a D9 and I like it so far. I didn't get it that long ago, so my experience with it isn't that deep. But, it's been a decent computer to date. I'm pleased with it. I like the ability to view the profile after the dive. I don't use the AI capability of mine though, I simply use an SPG with it.

People will say the computer is conservative. I haven't had any issues with being locked out of dives, but I guess it's possible when doing multiple dives over multiple days.

Shane

DGSPEAR
10-18-2007, 19:49
thanks for the input...is there a reason why you don't use the ai?

Aussie
10-18-2007, 20:11
I have owned my D9 for over two years now. I think I have logged 500+ dives on it. It has been sent back to Finland once and back to Aquanaut (Australian wholesaler) twice due to issues. These issues have been with software upgrades and failure to log dives and total unexplained resets.

Currently the computer I have has a brand new module. Which means same body with brand new computer inside.
No issues at the moment. Its a nice looking watch and the computer functions is eveything most divers need. The body this strong and survives abuse but the cystal glass face isnt bullet proof as I have a few scratches. The rubber/plastic band lasts about 18 months with heavy use and is a bit expensive to replace. The watch band pin needs to be better as it has come out a several occasions. The info is easy to read and NOT too small as many people say. If they say its too small I believe they have vision issues. It doesnt keep daily time as good as a "normal" watch and the time has to be reset every couple of months.

The transmitter is a complete waste of money and is more of a gimmick than a tool. I recieved the transmitter when I bought the D9 and use it but If I had the choice I wouldnt bother with it as its a lot of money for something you dont need. I would always dive with an analogue SPG as the transmitter needs to be matched to the watch everytime you use it. If you dont match it you dont get the cyclinder presure read out. This happens alot if your working in a hurry. I have seen a few people without an analogue spg and only a transmitter for their presure info. One guy had a brand new transmitter failed only after a few dives. Bought it overseas as he was on holidays and nothing could be done locally as it had no warranty. I did believe he bought a nice all brass SPG like the one I use. I would save the money by not getting the transmitter and put it towards a backup computer and a nice brass SPG. I dive with my D9 and a Suunto Vytec. The Vytec cost me $400 off ebay with a dozen dives on it. Before the Vytec I used an aladin pro. cheap, basic, has all the info it cost me $100. The price has dropped heaps since I bought mine and I believe the new models have had the issues sorted. As for the Titianium band I wouldnt bother.
The compass is easy to use and understand but has to be recalibrated every now and then. But i rarely use the compass. must be my good sense of direction. I havnt used the deepstop algorithm as most of my diving has been less than 30m and I want to have both my computers on the same algorithm. This will be tested out when I go to Vanuatu in November.

If you want a dive computer and a watch the Suunto D9 is great. Dont buy the transmitter. Want a good computer and size doesnt matter maybe the new Suunto Vytec DS. Got the money and want more then I would look at the VR2 or VR3

Aussie

Aussie
10-18-2007, 20:14
I also have my Algorithm set on 50% RMGB which makes the computer more aggressive. I am not sure how the 50% RMGB algorithm compares against pelagic algorithms.

I have never had an issue with conservatism.

Also have a look at the Suunto D6. It has a few less features than the D9 like AI and one less gas switching mix. It is cheaper also.

Aussie

DGSPEAR
10-18-2007, 20:49
thanks...i'll have to take a look at some of those other computers.

medic001918
10-18-2007, 20:55
The D9 does have the adjustable feature to control the conservatism (if that's a word). I should play with it at some point and see what the difference is.

I don't use the AI portion because I'm not a huge believer in the wireless links. I like the reliability of having a standard SPG. It's more habit than anything else for me. There's nothing wrong with the AI feature, just not something that was worth the extra money to me. Maybe someday if I got a deal on a transmitter, I'd get it and use it as well. But I wouldn't ever give up my SPG.

Shane

DGSPEAR
10-18-2007, 21:59
i would never completely get rid of my analog gauges...i am a bit old fashion in that way i guess.

liuk3
10-19-2007, 13:40
I am still not yet sold on having a wireless AI unit. I knew that even if I got the D9, I would still want to have a backup SPG. So, this is the reason I went with the D6. It's been a great computer and is literally about half the price of the D9. I have about 50 dives on my D6 and am loving it!

Advokat
10-25-2007, 06:35
I also have my Algorithm set on 50% RMGB which makes the computer more aggressive. I am not sure how the 50% RMGB algorithm compares against pelagic algorithms.

Also have a look at the Suunto D6. It has a few less features than the D9 like AI and one less gas switching mix. It is cheaper also.

Aussie

I've been playing with different settings of RGBM. I've set it to 50% and then played with the planner-it showed 18min at 30m. Than I've set it on 100% and it still showed 18min at 30m....

Aussie
10-25-2007, 08:21

Aussie

I've been playing with different settings of RGBM. I've set it to 50% and then played with the planner-it showed 18min at 30m. Than I've set it on 100% and it still showed 18min at 30m....

Are you just changing the RGBM and playing with the planner without diving it?

The difference in the Algorithm should show up on a actual dive. ie. You dive to 30m for 10min then multi level back to 10m then compare the NDL. The 50% RGMB would give you more time before deco when compared to the 100% RGMB.

I will try an give you some actual examples soon as I dive with a D9 and Vytec. Current i have both set at 50%. I will change one back to 100% and let you know.

Aussie

Aussie
10-26-2007, 17:50
I did a couple of shallow dives (Deepest was 18msw with averge of say of 12-14msw) yesterday and really didnt notice much difference between the two computers (one on 50% and the other on 100% RGMB). The difference sometimes for the NDL was 5 minutes.

Again this is an issue I bought up in some of my others posts. What are we exactly getting with each algorithm? No one knows exact the generalised "its conservative or aggressive" stance.

Aussie

kroorda
10-27-2007, 15:33
They are probably the most user Unfriendly computers you can buy. It has a ton of data available on a small screen, accessed by 4 buttons. Remembering where everything is, what it does, etc., is impossible unless you are 12 years old!

Advokat
10-28-2007, 00:26
went for a couple of dives today. On the first dive Mares Nemo Wide went into deco, when I was at 30m and the D9 still had 2min NDL, on repetitive dive after an hour to the same depth Mares went into deco first and the D9 followed after 1min. When I started going up, Mares gave me 5 ascent time and the D9 gave 12min ascent time. Both computers "called" 1min deep stop at 15m.

The d9 was set to 50% RGBM

Aussie
10-28-2007, 04:42
They are probably the most user Unfriendly computers you can buy. It has a ton of data available on a small screen, accessed by 4 buttons. Remembering where everything is, what it does, etc., is impossible unless you are 12 years old!

I find the D9 easy to work around once to know the layout. I find it quick and easy like most 12 year olds would.:smiley2:

Aussie

Paul Tarn
01-24-2010, 03:39
My wife bought a D9, it looks lovely. I would not recommend it and here's why;

The transmitter has never ever worked reliably - contrast that with our Uwatecs which once paired are absolutely brilliant - had them 5 years without any issues. The transmitter looses contact regularly, once on a 30m dive, grabs other peoples senders, so on a rib you get their pressure...
A dive computer needs to be good under water - in low light the small displays are useless
You have to send it away for a new battery - costly and what happens if it goes on holiday..They look good as a watch and that, in my humble oppinion is about all they're good for. I would recommend;
UWATEC Galileo sol

Clear easy to read display, even in low light
You can tweak what it displays - KISS ( deco etc will be there when needed)
Transmitter system is proven and bullet proof
You can change the battery yourself
Software upgrades online and free trimix capability on the way, 3 gases for deco optionsThat's if you want a great piece of kit for diving with AI. However, if you are serious about moving your diving forward in the future buy a VR3 - absolutely amazing bit of kit. I use my Uwatec on holiday and VR3 for tech diving (if you ever go closed circuit the VR3 acts as a 4th sensor.
Hope that helps

cbope
02-08-2010, 10:55

Aussie

I''m not 100% sure, but I believe the RGMB setting will have an effect only during repetitive dives after your first dive. If you are out of the water not diving and using the planner, there would not be any difference when planning your first dive. Subsequent repetitive dives however will be affected.

I say not 100% sure because I have set my D6 to 50% but have yet to dive with it on that setting. Damn winter... :smiley11:

Oh, and D6, great computer. :smiley20:

Travelnsj
02-08-2010, 18:38
I've had a D9 since they first came out..I think that was in 06. It was sent back to Finland once due to the recall/software problem they initially had. The only aggravation I really have with it is the pairing sometimes it will time out if you have some people that hold up the boat. One thing when they say replace the battery every 2 years Do it!...I learned my lesson.