PDA

View Full Version : Posting replys or not

tremtech
10-18-2007, 20:14
After logging in and following a post about Cudas I was typing a lengthy reply after about 15 minutes of typing and finishing my reply, I clicked on preview post ,the board kicked me out to the log in page and after logging in successfuly it kept kicking back to the vbullitin log in page, after several attempts it dumped my reply completely, not fun.
Please fix this, thanks
tremtech

NitroWill
10-18-2007, 20:18
That isn't a problem with the forums rather something wrong with your browser. Sounds like it isn't remembering any cookie/password information. Probably would not hurt to double check settings and reset the browser..

Also, it can help if you post your browser information..

WV Diver
10-18-2007, 20:22
I don't pretend to know the details but I think Will has the right idea. I don't think it is the board. Larry would know, I 'm sure he will check in here eventually.

RoadRacer1978
10-18-2007, 20:42
Since others are not having any problems I would venture to say Will is probably either right or close to it.

Daved
10-18-2007, 21:05
I have also suffered the same problem. Are you using Firefox?--

Defman
10-18-2007, 21:11
I had a similar problem, but I think a moderator killed the thread while I was typing my post... it was a thread about dog's biting people and had gotten a little heated.... After logging out & back in I couldn't find the thread anymore at all...

Capt Hook
10-19-2007, 00:53
Not to be mean, but what did you have to say that took 15 min. to type?
Brevity is a virtue!

tremtech
10-19-2007, 07:39
Yes Hook I am a two finger typer on a tablet pc (most of the time), and even though I am an ex Navy Electronics technician I type slowly . I just wanted the Scubatoys crew to know that they are having random authentication issues . My system is running windows Xp Pro and so is my desk top system . this issue has happened to me before on both systems recently . and as i tried to post this reply earlier it asked me to relog in and it dumped my first attempt

tremtech
10-19-2007, 07:52
Will note that I was already logged in to the board, and after trying to Go advanced I was asked to log in again,I did(successfully) and after the system advised me that I was logged in it kicked me back to the vbulletin stating I had to log in. Even if my firewall/cookie system was blocking cookies, manually typing in my Username and password into the authentication server and receiving a confirmation statement that i was logged in would rule out my settings as an issue. also note that at the time of this posting i am logged in so if I am logged in why should i have to re log in to Go Advanced

Formerly 45yroldNewbie
10-19-2007, 08:57
even though I am an ex Navy Electronics technician I type slowly .

Typing on a pc is not the same as staring at a radar screen huh? j/k

:smilie39::smilie39::smilie39::smilie39::smilie39: :smilie39:

reservecops
10-19-2007, 09:07
Here's a suggestion, and it goes for ANYTHING you're typing that 'could' get lost if the forums (any forums, not just this one) go down:

After you are done, but BEFORE you hit 'Preview' or 'Submit', COPY WHAT YOU WROTE TO THE CLIPBOARD. The quickest way to do this is to simply click into the text editing area so that the cursor is SOMEWHERE in there, then press CONTROL-A (to select ALL text), then CONTROL-C (copies selected text to the clipboard).

That way, if the places takes a dive, all you have to do is find the thread again, start the message editor again (or use the 'Quick Reply' at the bottom of the thread) to PASTE (using CONTROL-V) the entire message that you just spent 15 minutes typing.

The WWW uses the HTTP protocol. It is what's referred to as 'stateless'. That means, as soon as the page is loaded (like the editing screen), the server closes the connection and you are not connected to the site (e.g., these forums). When you type, it's all LOCAL (on your computer), not the server. When you click SUBMIT or PREVIEW, your computer attempts to establish a NEW connection to the server, pass your credentials and payload, and reload the screen. Then it closes THAT connection. You never 'stay' connected, which means the next time you click (or submit something) and the server is down, you don't know it until THAT time.

That's the way ALL "browsing" works on the world-wide-web.

No Misses
10-19-2007, 09:48
reservecops, thank you, for putting that into layman's terms. A little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing ;-)

DZorn00
10-19-2007, 12:48
I have also suffered the same problem. Are you using Firefox?--
NO not FIREFOX, that would never kick you out of anything, (yeah right) :smiley21:

It is not very forum or blog or website friendly for that matter. Good luck with Firefox, i dumped it a long time ago. They still have some growing to do.