PDA

View Full Version : Gloves On or Off

Ajuva
07-17-2007, 17:06
How do you feel about the gloves off in certain areas to prevent touching the reef.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>This is now an issue when diving a lot of the Egyptian sites.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I see where they are coming from but wonder as to the benefits.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Ajuva</DIV>

mmakay
07-17-2007, 17:23
Well educated divers know what not to touch ... for their own protection and that of the reef.

Poorly educated divers do damage with fins, unsecured octos, tanks, elbows and every other thing they take down. I find it hard to believe that they could kill any more of the reef with gloves than they already do with sheer carelessness.

cummings66
07-17-2007, 18:17
I think it's a poor rule to force divers to do the right thing, but they brought it on due to poor self control.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Sad that the rest of us have to suffer though.</DIV>

tc_rain
07-17-2007, 21:08
I prefer to dive with gloves. I also know what can and cannot be touched. Cozumel prohibits gloves unless wreck diving.

FishFood
07-17-2007, 21:21
It's pretty hard to "shoo" the jelly fish away with no gloves on. Just a thought

ScubaToys Larry
07-17-2007, 21:21
Oxymoron's: Military Intelligence. Rap Music. Reef Gloves.

przeor
07-18-2007, 02:27
What would you need reef gloves for? Aside from touching things your don't need? Maybe holding an anchor line in current while on a safety stop? I can't think of much else? If it's warm enough I don't wear gloves, it gets in the way of manipulating my camera controls!

Joew
07-18-2007, 02:55
Whenever I see people putting on gloves I know its bad news. It seems they're under the impression that the do not touch rule is in effect to protect them, not the reef, and that gloves make touching ok. Don't even get me started on divers who wear dark gloves at night.

niko5
07-18-2007, 11:08
If I had a pair of gloves that were comphy I would wear them but I have yet to find a pair I can wear and still feel safe and able to operate my equipment with.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I have a reef aquarium at home and I would never intensionaly touch the corals or critters while diving becuase of my love for the reefs.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I do feel that gloves can be usefull though... as someone said holding onto anchor lines and such they could also be used to grab ahold of rocks in an emergancy situation.</DIV>

jacewindu
07-18-2007, 11:18
i see people ALL the time touching coral trying to steady themselves, even without gloves. However, in some areas, gloves make people feel invincible, and i can imagine that the coral pays a significant price for these poor divers.
That isn't to say that it is the fault of the gloves. Divers just need to be more aware of their position and buoyancy in the water

tc_rain
07-19-2007, 13:53
i see people ALL the time touching coral trying to steady themselves, even without gloves. However, in some areas, gloves make people feel invincible, and i can imagine that the coral pays a significant price for these poor divers.
That isn't to say that it is the fault of the gloves. Divers just need to be more aware of their position and buoyancy in the water

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>
I agree completely.While drift diving, sometimes it is nice to be able to stop and look at something. Grabbing the floor of the ocean (sand, not coral) with gloves instead of bare hands to stop the momentum would be nice.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /></DIV>

Joew
07-19-2007, 21:29
I wear gloves. Always have. 400 some odd dives worn them and never used them as an excuse or opportunity to touch a reef. I have always worn a full suit. It does not mean that I plan to crash into coral.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Most of the people I see who drag their fins across the reef because they are over weighted and out of trim are not wearing gloves. Big leap to make a generalization I know.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>And I have a real problem with free diving fins on idiot scuba divers. They really trash the reef. It is not to say that every diver I see put them on is an idiot.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>I gotta know, what is the deal with dark gloves at night?</div>
<div> </div>
<div> </div>

Didn't mean to put all glove wearers in the same camp, but I've seen a lot of them grope the reef, and there's really no reason to wear gloves out here for normal diving. As for the gloves at night, it's tough to see hand signals from a diver with jet black gloves at night. It's not bad if they have a lighter color on the palm, though.

thesmoothdome
07-19-2007, 21:56
Cold water: I'm all for them http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gif
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Warm water: I don't think they serve much of a purpose, but if people want them, they should wear them. I know in Belize, we were told to leave any gloves we had in the cabin. I guess they take their no glove policy pretty seriously because we were told we couldbe fined even having gloves in the little gear baskets below the tanks.

Joew
07-19-2007, 22:00
Even shining a light on dark gloves it can be tough to see signals, unless you're really close. I've got to admit, though, that I prefer a night diver with gloves than one who shine the light behind their hand when gving signals, straight into my eyes. smileys/smiley36.gif

Lucky(AR)
07-19-2007, 22:56
i wouldnt dive without gloves ...no what to touch and what not too is the safest way to go

marshallkarp
07-20-2007, 08:31
June 2006, my dive buddy and I held on to the down line to get down to a wreck and neither of us were wearing gloves. Back on the boat, his hand was burning, simply from going down the line. I decided then and there to wear the gloves, you never know.
<div style=": ; width: 28px; height: 28px; : 1000; display: n&#111;ne;"></div>chrome://piclens/c&#111;ntent/launch.png

comet24
07-20-2007, 11:57
I prefer to where gloves. The bigger problem isn't gloves or not it inexperienced divers and those that just don't care. Some will touch the reef without glove others will let there octo drag, some will just bounce off the reef, other forget about there fins and will start kicking the reef. Glove are not the problem but it's an easy rule to make.

tc_rain
07-20-2007, 12:52
Cold water: I'm all for them http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley36.gif
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Warm water: I don't think they serve much of a purpose, but if people want them, they should wear them. I know in Belize, we were told to leave any gloves we had in the cabin. I guess they take their no glove policy pretty seriously because we were told we couldbe fined even having gloves in the little gear baskets below the tanks.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Do they allow them if wreck diving?</DIV>

kevinj1
07-20-2007, 13:29
Oxymoron's: Military Intelligence. Rap Music. Reef Gloves.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>THATS HYSTERICAL...</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>

Ajuva
07-23-2007, 13:21
Like the Oxymorons, could also add "school funds"

WaterRat
07-23-2007, 13:59
I use gloves pretty much all the time. I respect the reef and only have them for anchor lines, etc... Mine are jet black but I signal with the light rather than hands at night.
<DIV></DIV>Ron