PDA

View Full Version : can I add a crotch strap?

Vegas
10-19-2007, 13:37
I am not sure if I should post this in Women's issues, or here - but here seemed to make more sense.... so here goes..

I've been wanting to ask if there is a way to add a crotch strap to a regular (vest style) BC?

I have the "Oceanic Isla Womens BC" - and I do love it. For a woman with some curves, it fits like a dream - adjustable in all the places I need it to be, all the little features I like, and VERY comfortable.

My only complaint is that once in a while (usually when donning in the water when I can't get gravity to help get it down in place) the cumberbun will tend to ride up on me a bit as I dive.

Any time I find myself on a dive tugging it down by the D-rings I wonder if it's possible to add a crotch strap. -- So I'm asking!

Thanks!

mitsuguy
10-19-2007, 14:58
some way some how, sure...

I'm not familiar with that bc, but, I am sure there is a way to add one... get some webbing, figure out where you could attach it in the back and the front, insert a quick release clip that is adjustable and you are done...

tricky thing - in the back, to find an attachment and not sew through something that would leak air...

i'm sure its doable... just need a little ingenuity...

Zenagirl
10-19-2007, 15:05
That "little riding up" is exactly why I sold my first BC and got a new one. To me that's a basic fit issue and means a BC doesn't fit me well. Clearly I have very little tolerance for a less than perfect fit. ;)

MSilvia
10-19-2007, 15:30
Of course there's a way, but you may have to make modifications to your gear that are not recommended by the manufacturer. (insert spooky noises here) Basicly, you need two attachment points on the BC, one in the middle of the front, and one in the middle of the back lower edge. You'll have to add them if they don't already exist. It looks like there's a quick release in the middle of the cummerbund... you might be able to use that as the front attachment point.

A 1" webbing crotch strap will probably be easiest to work with, so put on your DIY hat and run down to the local fabric/craft store for several feet of that and some heavy duty upholstery thread and needles. Once you have your supplies, fold over then end of the webbing so you have a loop a little bit bigger than you need to fit your cummerbund quick release buckle through. Using the heavy duty thread, sew the webbing to make the loop permanent. This is a good time for overkill, as you want the stitching to be nice and strong. I recommend stitching a square, and then stitching an "X" through it.

Okay, now you have a length of webbing with a loop in one end. undo the quick release, slip the loop on, and buckle it back up. The front connection is done!

Now you just have to find a way to attach it in the back. I don't know what the back looks like, but you can always sew on or otherwise attach a D-ring that you can fit the webbing through. Just be careful when doing so that you don't puncture the air bladder in the BC.

Good luck!

Splitlip
10-19-2007, 21:29
Of course there's a way, but you may have to make modifications to your gear that are not recommended by the manufacturer. (insert spooky noises here) Basicly, you need two attachment points on the BC, one in the middle of the front, and one in the middle of the back lower edge. You'll have to add them if they don't already exist. It looks like there's a quick release in the middle of the cummerbund... you might be able to use that as the front attachment point.

A 1" webbing crotch strap will probably be easiest to work with, so put on your DIY hat and run down to the local fabric/craft store for several feet of that and some heavy duty upholstery thread and needles. Once you have your supplies, fold over then end of the webbing so you have a loop a little bit bigger than you need to fit your cummerbund quick release buckle through. Using the heavy duty thread, sew the webbing to make the loop permanent. This is a good time for overkill, as you want the stitching to be nice and strong. I recommend stitching a square, and then stitching an "X" through it.

Okay, now you have a length of webbing with a loop in one end. undo the quick release, slip the loop on, and buckle it back up. The front connection is done!

Now you just have to find a way to attach it in the back. I don't know what the back looks like, but you can always sew on or otherwise attach a D-ring that you can fit the webbing through. Just be careful when doing so that you don't puncture the air bladder in the BC.

Good luck!

Here you go.
http://www.diversdirect.com/imagescache/ItemLrgPic4A18687.jpg (http://www.diversdirect.com/items/Innovative-Pin-Mount-with-Ring_ID18687#)

Innovative Pin Mount with Ring at Divers Direct - Scuba gear & equipment online dive catalog! (http://www.diversdirect.com/items/Innovative-Pin-Mount-with-Ring_ID18687)

The split ring would work fine for you. It should also accept a small d-ring.

I sused one to carry a DiveRite reel.

Vegas
10-24-2007, 14:37
I just wanted to say Thanks! for the help and info!
I'll give an update when I take a weekend to sit down and see what I can do. :)

MSilvia
10-24-2007, 15:01
Good luck! I can't wait to see what you come up with.

mitsuguy
10-24-2007, 15:17
I just wanted to say Thanks! for the help and info!
I'll give an update when I take a weekend to sit down and see what I can do. :)

amy - I'll be more than happy to take a look at what you have this friday - maybe we can come up with some ideas :)