PDA

View Full Version : I need a new log book: recommendations?

skidiver
10-19-2007, 14:07
So my log book is past full, and I need a new one. My old one (from my CMAS OW cert) does not have the ability to add new pages, so I'm looking for a new one and seeking your recommendations.

What is your favorite log book, and why?

FWIW, I dive with a computer (Oceanic Veo 180), but my computer is a Mac so I don't download dive data (someday perhaps I'll get a cable, boot it up in Windows and start, but not for now).

DevilDiver
10-19-2007, 14:12
I made my own with information I wanted to record. Normal stuff- time, depth, air, temps. Plus information on the boat, operation, fish life, coral, photogrsphy notes, ect.
You can take to an Office supply and have printed on water resistant paper.

loudgonzo
10-19-2007, 14:40
I still have my original, but check this site out, they seem to have a good assortment and I will check them out once I fill my existing one up.

Dive-Logs.com - Great dive logs for scuba divers that are quick and easy to use. (http://www.dive-logs.com/)

sudnit5
10-19-2007, 15:25
I made my own log book using Adobe InDesign. Has everything I need.

I would also recommend Dive-Logs.com - Great dive logs for scuba divers that are quick and easy to use. (http://www.dive-logs.com)

DevilDiver
10-19-2007, 16:37
I still have my original, but check this site out, they seem to have a good assortment and I will check them out once I fill my existing one up.

Dive-Logs.com - Great dive logs for scuba divers that are quick and easy to use. (http://www.dive-logs.com/)

Very cool link!! I had no idea this site was available!! Thanks.:smiley20:

fire diver
10-19-2007, 17:33
I also created my own on my home computer. But now I just print out the download from my dive computer.

FD

BuzzGA
10-19-2007, 19:26

Thanks for the link. My latest log is about to get full and was wondering what I was going to do

gibson1525
10-29-2007, 17:16
i like the idea of making your own for custimization capabilities. i personally buy the cheap ones from the dive shops. they have everything i want to record plus lots of room for comments on the dives, DM, operator, resort, etc. wherever i am when i run out of room is where i get my new log.

txmntman
10-30-2007, 16:41
I created my own:
on the Dive type and Comfort level you would just circle what applies. I print it out and copy it to a notebook I carry. It has worked well for me.

Dive Number ______ Date ______________

Time ______________

Location_______________________________________

Dive Buddy____________________________________

Air Mix __________

Max Depth ______ Time _______ Visibility ________

Type: Day Night Fresh Salt Shore Boat Drift

Recreational Training

Suit ________________________ Weight ______________

Comfort level: Cold Cool Perfect Warm HOT

Comments ________________________________________

auvie
11-01-2007, 10:25
So my log book is past full, and I need a new one. My old one (from my CMAS OW cert) does not have the ability to add new pages, so I'm looking for a new one and seeking your recommendations.

What is your favorite log book, and why?

FWIW, I dive with a computer (Oceanic Veo 180), but my computer is a Mac so I don't download dive data (someday perhaps I'll get a cable, boot it up in Windows and start, but not for now).

If you have an intel mac, using Parallels with dive software works very well. Parallels allows you to run windows in a window on your mac desktop, and also has a "coherence" feature which allows you to use individual windows programs on the mac desktop as if they were native... this works great for the Suunto Dive manager software I use.

CompuDude
11-01-2007, 12:23
I went with computer-based software and haven't looked back. You can download the software used by Uwatec computers for free, (Mac or PC) and just enter the info by hand rather than downloading, if you don't have a Uwatec computer.

skidiver
11-01-2007, 13:29
I went with computer-based software and haven't looked back. You can download the software used by Uwatec computers for free, (Mac or PC) and just enter the info by hand rather than downloading, if you don't have a Uwatec computer.
Hey, that looks pretty slick. I just downloaded JTrak, their Mac software. Maybe I'll give that a try (seems a little buggy so far, but I've only poked around a bit). Thanks, 'dude!

Not sure if I can print from JTrak, though (in case I want a hard copy as backup or if I take a dive trip w/out my laptop).

I like the idea of Parallel or other software that lets me run Windows w/out rebooting, but I'm trying to stay low cost here.

CompuDude
11-01-2007, 13:50
Hey, that looks pretty slick. I just downloaded JTrak, their Mac software. Maybe I'll give that a try (seems a little buggy so far, but I've only poked around a bit). Thanks, 'dude!

Not sure if I can print from JTrak, though (in case I want a hard copy as backup or if I take a dive trip w/out my laptop).

I like the idea of Parallel or other software that lets me run Windows w/out rebooting, but I'm trying to stay low cost here.

There are benefits beyond diving if you go with Parallels (http://www.parallels.com) at some point, of course, but that's your call, since it's definitely more expensive. Sad to say, there are a lot more options for Windows... SmartTrak (http://www.scubapro.com/#,en_US;contenthandler,17286,) (Uwatec's Windows software, also free) definitely can print, although it's not very versatile at formatting. DivingLog (http://www.divinglog.de) has the best logbook print options I've seen, but it's Windows-only.

If you don't like JTrak, you may also want to check out MacDiveLog (http://www.macdivelog.com/), which works with Suunto computers (or again, you can manually input info). It's $30, but works well, from what I've heard. Per their website, they expect to add support for Uwatec computers at some point, which is an interesting proposition.

comet24
11-01-2007, 15:02
I have been happy with Dive-Logs.com - Great dive logs for scuba divers that are quick and easy to use. (http://www.dive-logs.com) They have a design feature that lets you design you own by adding and removing parts you want or don't want.

rach
11-01-2007, 18:43
that's such a good site, and i had no idea about it--thanks for sharing!

shawnwill36
10-28-2008, 14:24
i made my own also, then 5 x 7 binder and keep my own logs, its cheap and i can keep the info i want instead of having alot of empty spots on a log book

Empacher
10-28-2008, 15:14
anyone know of software to download Aeris computer info to a Mac?

tndiverdude
11-11-2008, 12:59
I ahve used divelog.com for refill pages and love the sevice of custom desigining. I pair one side with details and teh other with eventual pictures.

gNats
11-11-2008, 13:21
Okay - drats. This is SUCH A NOOB QUESTION.

Using your log - how do you keep track of your table information for multiple dives? What am I missing?

You don't have the Surface Interval, Pressure Group, or RNT/ABT/TBT.

I also notice you don't have a log of your cumulative diving hours.

See, total noobie question. I am using the PADI log book still (okay, I do only have 12 dives, but this is MICHIGAN). I record my starting/ending pressure, weights, my dive table info (even on one dive) and my cumulative dive bottom time. I also use the comment section to describe what I saw or issues/good things I dealt with.

Just wondering why you deviated so much from the PADI log books.

I created my own:
on the Dive type and Comfort level you would just circle what applies. I print it out and copy it to a notebook I carry. It has worked well for me.

Dive Number ______ Date ______________

Time ______________

Location_______________________________________

Dive Buddy____________________________________

Air Mix __________

Max Depth ______ Time _______ Visibility ________

Type: Day Night Fresh Salt Shore Boat Drift

Recreational Training

Suit ________________________ Weight ______________

Comfort level: Cold Cool Perfect Warm HOT

Comments ________________________________________

3rdEye
11-11-2008, 13:40
I'd say go digital...no need to write stuff down these days :)

ScubaJ
11-11-2008, 15:25
I ended up purchasing a cool little PDF printable log page off eBay.
I like having a printed record and this one is pretty neat in that it lets you insert pictures in the top right (substituting the dive flag) as well as the bottom right.
Pretty neat to have a log with pictures from the actual dive.

SCUBA DIVING DIVE LOG BOOK LOGBOOK PRINT YOUR OWN PAGES - eBay (item 310097488100 end time Nov-13-08 12:00:00 PST) (http://cgi.ebay.com/SCUBA-DIVING-DIVE-LOG-BOOK-LOGBOOK-PRINT-YOUR-OWN-PAGES_W0QQitemZ310097488100QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item310097488100&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A4%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318)

fire diver
11-11-2008, 15:30
I didn't like the log book that came with my starter pack. After the first dozen dives I started looking around for different options. I ended up creating my own in a word document. After nitrox course, I changed the log page to include my EAN planning and Ox clock usage. Thats whats so nice about making your own, you can modify it as needed. Last year I changed it again to include deco gasses and stage stops when I started my adv nitrox and deco class.

I would send you the base form I started with, but it's not on this computer. It's not hard to make one, just figure out what you want to keep track of and make it up!

CompuDude
11-11-2008, 15:56

Using your log - how do you keep track of your table information for multiple dives? What am I missing?

See, total noobie question. I am using the PADI log book still (okay, I do only have 12 dives, but this is MICHIGAN). I record my starting/ending pressure, weights, my dive table info (even on one dive) and my cumulative dive bottom time. I also use the comment section to describe what I saw or issues/good things I dealt with.

1) Not everyone was certified by PADI. Not every agency uses the same system for tracking pressure groups, etc.

2) Once you move to a computer, you no longer use pressure groups. You can attempt to see how your dive would have played out with tables, for practice, but generally you will have far more bottom time with a computer than tables would have allowed, rendering them useless for tracking purposes.

3) If you are using your computer for tracking nitrogen loading, there's not much need to log surface interval time, either. If you want to know later for curiousity's sake, it's pretty simple to look at the start time from Dive A, how long it was (to determine end time), and then the start time of Dive B.

gNats
11-11-2008, 17:33
wow. I feel enlightened and like a bigger NOOB than ever. Thank you for explaining this information for me.

1) Not everyone was certified by PADI. Not every agency uses the same system for tracking pressure groups, etc.

2) Once you move to a computer, you no longer use pressure groups. You can attempt to see how your dive would have played out with tables, for practice, but generally you will have far more bottom time with a computer than tables would have allowed, rendering them useless for tracking purposes.

3) If you are using your computer for tracking nitrogen loading, there's not much need to log surface interval time, either. If you want to know later for curiousity's sake, it's pretty simple to look at the start time from Dive A, how long it was (to determine end time), and then the start time of Dive B.

CompuDude
11-11-2008, 18:50
wow. I feel enlightened and like a bigger NOOB than ever. Thank you for explaining this information for me.

Asking questions is how you learn the answers... keep asking questions and soon you won't feel like a noob anymore. :smiley20:

James1010
11-11-2008, 21:44
I found some good print offs on the net and I have them in a three ring binder in plastic sheets. ya I know call me a dork for doing it but I am proud of my accomplishments of diving. I know when I get to the point to where I have a couple thousand dives I might just stop logging but until then I will continue to use a dive book and a binder ha ha.

russp
11-12-2008, 16:24
This is the one I'm using, I like that you can add pages as needed.

Zipper Dive Log Book reviews and discounts, ScubaToys (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=ZipperDiveLog)

shawnwill36
11-13-2008, 23:11
i made my own with ms word and bought a 3x5 binder. if you want a copy of what my pages in my book are you can pm me and i will send it

sherrod
11-17-2008, 17:42
I use The Diver's Journal and I love it.

DiverMom
11-17-2008, 20:43
I made my own with information I wanted to record. Normal stuff- time, depth, air, temps. Plus information on the boat, operation, fish life, coral, photogrsphy notes, ect.

Love this! Thanks for the idea!

CompuDude
11-20-2008, 16:37

Love this! Thanks for the idea!

Or better yet, buy a ream of waterproof printer, and use your home laser printer instead of paying the high per-page price at the store. ;)

There are several companies that make good waterproof paper.

Fireplug
11-27-2008, 14:22
For no other reason than this is what my instructor offered, I have done all of my certs and specialties with PADI. That being said, once I got my 1st log book filled, I cut it apart, discarded all of the extraneous pages I didn't need, found a 3 ring binder for cheap at a dive shop going OOB. This binder is one with the zip up cover deal so I can keep my dive log pages, tables, slates, computer cheat sheets, cert. cards, dive equipment check lists, etc., all in one place. It has some pockets inside front cover for pens, etc. Day Runner calendar insert fits well as does a pack of sticky notes. Need to find a small calculator. I need to make copies of everything in case I loose something. All in all it works well for me.

PS, also have a small flashlight for those early morning load outs!!!

teerlkay
11-27-2008, 16:28
don't use one - download my computer from time to time and keep an excel spreadsheet

i guess i'd be in a bit of a jam if a shop wanted to see one but the DM card seems to work

divergirl
11-27-2008, 18:43
I use one of the 3 ring zip up binders.

At the moment I just use the standard Padi log sheets, but I'm about to run out so I think I'll probably make my own pages.

I absolutely love keeping track of my dives.. where we went, what we saw, funny things that happened etc etc.

Most of my buddies are techies and haven't logged their dives in years.. however I don't think I'll ever get to the point where I'll stop. Every dive is a good memory and I'd love to be able to look back at all my dives and reminisce.

bsktcase93
11-27-2008, 19:00
you need a log book to look back at all your memories