PDA

View Full Version : Treasure Dive!!

pnevai
10-19-2007, 17:37
I have a proposal, I think would be fun.

Lets plan a south Florida treasure hunt dive. We have plenty of Floridian Divers on this board so it can be really fun. Say we agree on a date late next spring. May or June. There are many lost spanish gallions wrecked off the coast of florida that still belch up coins and jewlery on the beach. Who know how many bits apd pieces are wedged in and amongst the reefs just off shore.

As a lead up to the dive all of the participants could and should use the internet and other sources to research the history, and possible locations that would yeild the highest probably of perhaps finding some booty during the dives. Then as the dive day nears we can discuss the research and theories right here online at Scubatoys, and can decide on where the dives should take place. We can make it a day out, perhaps with BBQ etc.

Make it more than just a morning get wet excursion. I'd like to do three tank shore dives that day but everyone would be able to decide how much in water time they wanted to spend. If everyone brought some refreshments, BBQ food etc, it could be a really fun day even if no one found any real spanish booty.

What do you think? Wanna do it? Even if you are not a Florida diver and can not make the dive you could still contribute with your research and post the links and findings here, to be debated by the group. Something to do during the off season. we keep it a fun excersize, no serious professional treasure hunting here, but there are certain beaches and areas along the Florida coast that have had a higher percentage of booty wash up. How about it?

Capt Hook
10-19-2007, 20:00
No, no, no shore dives.

pnevai
10-19-2007, 20:17
The boats do drift dives in deeper water though, a bit deeper than a ship can ground upon, besides you could not have a BBQ and are locked into the charters schedule. I was thinking of some thing a bit more informal, you know hang on the beach, eat a couple hotdogs, do a dive, hang on the beach some more have a burger or two, do a dive and repeat. By june the winds are gone, seas moderating and the water temps are nice and comfy, the best time to see what the winter storms and surf have uncovered in the shallower water. Heck if you have a kayak and want to dive the fringe reef no one would stop you.

CrzyJay456
10-19-2007, 21:03
cant say im in for sure... but if when the days near i am available, im pretty much in for this.
great idea. and if we find something, what happens then?

pnevai
10-19-2007, 21:17
As far as I am concerned finders keepers, unless by some freak accident it is some huge hoard and then, notifying the state, and all the legal wrangeling that will have to go on, along with states rights and all that would have to be figured out. We could cross that highly unlikely bridge when we get to it. Like I said this is supposed to be fun, not archeology, but you never know. A few years back someone found a small jewel encrusted cross that washed up on the beach after strong offshore winter storms.

fire diver
10-20-2007, 07:49
Where are you proposing to do this treasure dive? you better check out the legalities REAL close. The Mel Fisher group owns the leases to huge tracts of ocean, right up to the high water mark on the beach. Any diving, metal detecting or treasure huners caught will lose all thier gear, go to jail, and get a nice fine for thier efforts.

Happy Hunting!

cudachaser
10-20-2007, 13:17
Taffy Fisher lives in Sebastian, FL...I'll bet if she were approached in a nice fashion, she would would go for a one day event as long as she could examine all the booty.

Joe

PS...I have found quite a bit of pottery chard and a single gold piece

pnevai
10-20-2007, 19:26
Mel Fisher besides being dead, only had salvage rights on very specfic sites. The state of Florida and the USA owns the inshore waters around the state. Unless No Diving signs or no tresspassing signs are posted on the beach we wish to dive from there should be no problems.

So far you guys are taking this too seriously. Lets have some fun researching this the research will yeild possible beaches lets post that info here or links to it and as winter goes on at some point the group will decide where the dives will be held. Again, the purpose of this is not to start a serious professional search, just something to add some fun to the the outing. Perhaps some of the group and I will hide some booty to be found off the selected beach before hand just to make it more interesting.
lets see where we can go with this, right now all I am seeing is skeptisism, and people taking this way too seriously.

pnevai
10-20-2007, 19:32
Juno Beach, and spme areas a few miles north of the Jupiter Inlet show some promise. Bothe have easy access, I need to research the UW topography more though.

fire diver
10-20-2007, 20:50
Mel Fisher besides being dead, only had salvage rights on very specfic sites. The state of Florida and the USA owns the inshore waters around the state. Unless No Diving signs or no tresspassing signs are posted on the beach we wish to dive from there should be no problems.

You've been warned of the law. If you want to dive, you do so at your own risk. Mel may be dead, but his company is very much alive. Florida owns the water and the Fisher group have paid it huge sums to protect thier leases.

I'm not going to post any more about this matter. Research the off limit areas or wind up losing your gear and going to jail.

FD

pnevai
10-22-2007, 00:46
[quote=pnevai;78295]Mel Fisher besides being dead, only had salvage rights on very specfic sites. The state of Florida and the USA owns the inshore waters around the state. Unless No Diving signs or no tresspassing signs are posted on the beach we wish to dive from there should be no problems.

You've been warned of the law. If you want to dive, you do so at your own risk. Mel may be dead, but his company is very much alive. Florida owns the water and the Fisher group have paid it huge sums to protect thier leases.

I'm not going to post any more about this matter. Research the off limit areas or wind up losing your gear and going to jail.
[/no quote]

I 've been a Florida resident for 20 years, I am well aware of state laws. I also know that much of the said shoreline is private property or has no easy access to the ocean. As this is to be a FUN expedition, there are certain pre-requsits that I have to consider. The primary being EASY access to the beach, the ability to BBQ and ample free or low cost parking. Also the area has to have some UW topography that can yeild a interesting dive no matter if there is a treasure wreck anywhere in the vacinity. We do not want to be diving sand flats the whole day.

This reduces the possible divesites to public access beaches. Public access beaches are just that PUBLIC! Now rather than threatening everyone with jail time why don't you present your research on the boundaries of MEL's leases? There are numerous local news stories of divers finding a little trinket her and there and there and no these people were not immedaitely arrested and carted away to jail.

You make it sould like diving off of the SE coast of Florida is like diving a mine feild stray too far and you are inprisoned. There are dozens of charters taking divers all up and down the trreasure and gold coast, many more do shore dives, especially during lobster season when literally tens of thousands of divers descend on Florida. If your comments were true then we would have hundreds of arrests every season.

But this is neither here or there as there does not seem to be any interest, not even at the promise of a free BBQ. Perhaps I'll take this suggestion over to Suba board that is more a Florida oriented board where everyone is already aware of the Florida laws and do not need someone from OK to educate us on them.

pnevai
10-22-2007, 01:30
For anone interested attached is a informative website. NOTE these areas are open to SPORT DIVERS so no fear of being taken to the slammer. For the umpteenth thime this will be a fun dive, No metal dectors, side scan sonar etc. A FUN shore dive that may has the possibility of someone finding a souveneir.

SOUTHEAST FLORIDA SITES: (http://www.treasuresites.com/members/sef.htm)

scubasamurai
10-22-2007, 16:48
sure a dive is a dive for me and if i get lucky then ok than

aeropl
10-29-2007, 00:17
fire diver, can you post a link which explains those laws/leases? In other words, citation please? I don't believe it.

johnod
10-31-2007, 13:00
This sounds like a great time. I don't live anywhere near Fl but for a chance to do some treasure hunting and hang out with other ST divers sounds like a good reason to get away from Ohio for a while. I'll pay close attention to the thread and do a little research of my own. Cool idea Pnevai

Zyxistal
11-15-2007, 04:39
My wife and I are looking at making our way down to SE Florida this July for our vacation and would probably be more than happy to join any diving events that can be planned.

kyfriedchipper
11-15-2007, 13:42
Does anyone want to tell me where there's some real treasure out there - I promise your secret is safe w/ me... :)

Scuba-Bill
11-15-2007, 14:28
Sounds like fun. Let us know the proposed dates when you figure them out.

Thanks!

moosicman
11-15-2007, 15:49
i would love to do this...and will be watching to see what develops