PDA

View Full Version : ScubaPro Reg.

moosicman
10-19-2007, 19:21
Hi there...

i just got back from a local dive shop and saw they had scubapro and aqualung and sherman...i am just trying to educate myself and will buy from scubapro but i don't see any of the ones i wanted but sherman on the site. i liked the scubapro because it came with lifetime parts as long as i serviced it every year....but i also saw where ST service is 50 bucks and parts were free for life....is that for all regs...and what about the scubapro....AND what about what IS on ST.....what should i look for in a first reg purchase

ScubaToys Larry
10-19-2007, 19:35
Scubapro has very strict - no internet sales policies. We decided to not carry them anymore for that... and some other reasons. There are many companies that offer free parts for life - and in fact we do that for any reg purchased from us - no matter what the manufacturers rules are.

Scubapro used to be the big dog in the scuba business, but today, there are many good reg manufacturers - some would argue much better, and much better customer service than what scuba pro offers. For example, regs like the Oceanic FDX10 (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=OceanicDeltaIVReg), the Zeagle Envoy Deluxe (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=EnvoyDeluxe), etc perform as good or better than a lot of the scubapro regs as shown in a lot of independent testing.

So I would look more at what features and support are you after instead of just what name plate.

moosicman
10-19-2007, 19:56
Tons o' thanks Larry.....thanks for the recommendations and the quick respons too.....i'm trying to educate myself on what it is that i really want....i suppose i'm gonna rent to get certified (in the OFF chance that i get below and have some sort of pycho panic attack and think that scuba diving is not for me, but i've bought this 1000$ rig......but after i'm done and if i don't succome to that 1% chance, i'm going to cozumel in dec. so you'll see me with a big ole shopping cart.

Advokat
10-21-2007, 17:17
Larry, to my memory, Apeks and Zeagle did have some alliance in the past...will Zeagle service kits suit Apeks regs and the opposite?thanks

vadiver
10-21-2007, 19:04
I currently use ScubaPro regs on all my tanks and love them. The group I regularly dive with is split on the matter...smoe swear by Scuba Pro, while others swear by Apeks. The are both outstanding regs...but I think the Scuba Pros would be easier to get serviced while on vacation.

cshel
10-21-2007, 19:25
Scubapro has very strict - no internet sales policies. We decided to not carry them anymore for that... and some other reasons. There are many companies that offer free parts for life - and in fact we do that for any reg purchased from us - no matter what the manufacturers rules are.

Scubapro used to be the big dog in the scuba business, but today, there are many good reg manufacturers - some would argue much better, and much better customer service than what scuba pro offers. For example, regs like the Oceanic FDX10 (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=OceanicDeltaIVReg), the Zeagle Envoy Deluxe (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=EnvoyDeluxe), etc perform as good or better than a lot of the scubapro regs as shown in a lot of independent testing.

So I would look more at what features and support are you after instead of just what name plate.

WOW! Thanks for the warm fuzzies, Larry! I bought a Zeagle Envoy Deluxe 2 years ago and I love it. Boris got one on my recommendation. You giving my/our reg a endorsement makes me tingle all over! :smiley31:

ScubaToys Larry
10-21-2007, 21:01
Larry, to my memory, Apeks and Zeagle did have some alliance in the past...will Zeagle service kits suit Apeks regs and the opposite?thanks

No, the main thing Zeagle did was use a new spherical core design seat that lasts twice as long as the stock apeks. Zeagle came up with the new seat design, so when they brought it out, they stopped carrying the apeks, and their parts - and they are not interchangeable... sorry!

BobArnold8265
10-21-2007, 21:23
Both my wife and I use Scubapro regs and really like them. I wish they would change their sales policy and would allow internet sales so the good folks at Scuba Toys could sell them. I have written to Scuba Pro to complain about their internet sales policy and encourage all of you other Scuba Pro fans to do the same !!!!

ScubaToys Larry
10-21-2007, 21:34
Both my wife and I use Scubapro regs and really like them. I wish they would change their sales policy and would allow internet sales so the good folks at Scuba Toys could sell them. I have written to Scuba Pro to complain about their internet sales policy and encourage all of you other Scuba Pro fans to do the same !!!!

It will take more than letters... companies don't change policies until they feel it in their pockets. Until they are no longer selling product - they probably will not change policies... they milk it from both sides now - they claim they don't allow internet sales so they can get local stores to carry their brand, but then they do nothing to stop the gray market of their sales - so if I wanted to boot leg in units with no warranty - very easy - since they do nothing about it.

But that whole way of doing business just seems a bit dirty to me - and I'd rather deal with straight forward honest companies like oceanic, zeagle, tusa, atomic, etc.

Who knows, maybe some day they will change their policies and rework their customer service policies, and we'll visit bringing the line back in the store - but not if things stay the same.

Advokat
10-22-2007, 02:32

No, the main thing Zeagle did was use a new spherical core design seat that lasts twice as long as the stock apeks. Zeagle came up with the new seat design, so when they brought it out, they stopped carrying the apeks, and their parts - and they are not interchangeable... sorry!

Asked because I haven't seen many Zeagle regs through out Europe and particularly Egypt...

ScubaToys Larry
10-22-2007, 06:01
Which makes sense being a US company...

The nice thing is that zeagle makes their rebuild kits readily available. A lot of folks like to buy a rebuild kit and carry it with them, that way no matter where they are, or what goes wrong, they have a solution. Anyone who has worked on virtually any diaphragm reg would have no problem rebuilding a zeagle if they have the parts kit.

caroln
10-22-2007, 10:53
I love my scubapro regs, but the policies Larry is talking about are making me reconsider whether I'll go with scubapro again when it's time to buy regs for my husband and/or for doubles for myself. We dove with a guy on Saturday who had the zeagle regs from ST, and they were very nice looking.

det4220
10-23-2007, 10:29
The ScubaPro regs I've tried have been easy breathers, but they seem to free-flow easily (at least all the ones that I have tried).

Larry,
Doesn't Atomic have a similar No-Internet Sales policy? I assume they are also easily available on the grey market as some competitor sites have them listed for sale. What are the other company differences that make Atomic good-to-go from a business standpoint, but make ScubaPro a no-go?

couped243
10-30-2007, 17:32
I dive with a Scubapro set up (MK25/S600) and I have to admit it is a pretty nice reg. It breaths remarkably easy and I haven't had any of the free flow issues mentioned. I do agree that their internet policy needs to be looked at and reworked. A sale is a sale, what difference does it make if it's on the internet or at your LDS. I will definitely consider picking up a Zeagle from ST next time. I'm sure Ill be looking for something else soon. Gotta love new toys...LOL

in_cavediver
10-30-2007, 19:04
I gotta say, I like the zeagles and Dive Rites. I have dove a borrowed Scubapro and frankly couldn't tell the difference between the three. What makes zeagles and dive rites nice - its the parts and service. I can readily get parts and information for both!

It may not be a major factor now, but it might be later. Oh, and the cost was less for most of my dive rites! In the end, you'll be happy with whatever you get though.

What I have: (1) Zeagle Flathead 6, (1) Zeagle DS4, (2) Zeagle Envoys, (3) Dive Rite RG 2500's, (1) Dive Rite Hurricane, and (1) Sherwood Blizzard.

For the record, the last trip we just got back from in cave country, my wife and I used all 9 regs (1 became a spare midway through when we picked up the hurricane though)

mobeeno
04-20-2008, 13:35
Which makes sense being a US company...

The nice thing is that zeagle makes their rebuild kits readily available. A lot of folks like to buy a rebuild kit and carry it with them, that way no matter where they are, or what goes wrong, they have a solution. Anyone who has worked on virtually any diaphragm reg would have no problem rebuilding a zeagle if they have the parts kit.
Interesting point

huvrr
05-09-2008, 09:31
I read here somewhere yesterday about scubapro and tusa regs being identical in some respects like they were made in the same place. anyone know about that?