PDA

View Full Version : Xenon vs LED

davieeeee
10-19-2007, 22:19
OK so I gather xenon is more likely to break.
LED is not as bright.

Which one do you prefer and why?

Some things to consider...

* How much more expensive is it to replace a xenon bulb?
* How much brighter is xenon really compared to LED? Is it even noticable during normal night diving?
* Which one requires more care and maintenance? (switching ON in water only etc)

paintsnow
10-19-2007, 23:58
LED is practically maintinence free.

it never burns out and when the batteries run low it will stay lit,and dim slowly.

LED can be pretty bright if you look at the newest stuff, but right now the brightest are HID and Solus lights.

overall, i would just go with a well designed LED if you can find one that is bright enough for your needs.

otherwise Xenon is almost as good, and really isnt that bad to take care of.

danielh03
10-20-2007, 03:03
What kind of maintinence would I be looking at with a xenon light?

paintsnow
10-20-2007, 12:41
replacing the bulb when it burns out....
and not being able to throw your light around as much as you could with a LED

but most lights have plastic cases now so even with the LED you can only chuck it so hard...

sudnit5
10-20-2007, 13:29
I personally like LED, it lasts a long time and they have the new CREE bulbs which are really bright.

paintsnow
10-21-2007, 02:31
see, i really wish manufactures posted beamshots.

usually, xenon lights have tighter beams, but have dark circles/spots in the beam

and usually LED lights have a wide beam and are completely smooth.

but theres always the exceptions, surefire's xenon lights have perfect beams with not dark spots or rings, and their LEDs are bright and tightly focused.

so if you can, go to your LDS and ask to see the light fired up.

Aussie
10-21-2007, 05:41
I own both the UK SL4 xenon and the UK SL4 eLED. Both are excellent lights and I prefer the whiter and little bit brighter eLED. But it comes at a cost. The Xenon UKSL4 is $19.95 compared to $49.95 for the UKSL4 eLED. Replacement bulbs/reflector are $9.95 for the xenon. Remember those prices are from Scubatoys also:smiley2:

Aussie

davieeeee
10-21-2007, 10:22
Aussie, nice to hear from someone who has used both.. I think I am leaning for the LED lights just because I dont plan on babysitting my torches too much. My backup is going to remain attatched to my BC for day and night dives, so it is going to get knocked around here and there.... that said, the price difference is still quite big even including the cost of replacement bulbs.. Do you find that your xenon eats batteries quicker?

paintsnow
10-21-2007, 13:29
its pretty much a constant that LED use less battery power then Xenon, resulting in longer burn times.

terrillja
10-21-2007, 13:39
Aussie, nice to hear from someone who has used both.. I think I am leaning for the LED lights just because I dont plan on babysitting my torches too much. My backup is going to remain attatched to my BC for day and night dives, so it is going to get knocked around here and there.... that said, the price difference is still quite big even including the cost of replacement bulbs.. Do you find that your xenon eats batteries quicker?

Check this kit out- it has a primary, a backup, and a tank marker light. it is the kit that I have, and I love it.

Princeton Tec LED Light Pack, Light Paks, Princeton Tec, Princeton Tec LED Light Pack (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=PrincetonLedPack)

davieeeee
10-22-2007, 09:05
terrillja that is the very kit i am looking at and half the reason why i posted hehe its either going to be this kit, or an equivalent UK HID setup.
i am leaning towards the princeton tec pack., although the UK seems to be more favourable from a reliability standpoint (in this forum anyway).
Princeton Tec has a nice warranty, but I am hoping to not have to send anything back in the first place as I am in Sydney and shipping is a pain in the backside. have u had anything fail on yours?

coldincanada
10-22-2007, 09:11
i just order a princeton led pack from Scuba Toys
so will let you know on our next dive.

In Westhawk we have 15 ft visibility so a light is nice

Told by others that led is the way to go as long battery life time and enough light verses the uk that sucks batteries

abunai671
11-20-2007, 18:46
any updates as far as how those dive lights are? im also interested in purchasing that package and would like to hear more reviews.

TIA!

terrillja
11-20-2007, 20:55
any updates as far as how those dive lights are? im also interested in purchasing that package and would like to hear more reviews.

TIA!

I have the kit, the shockwave LED is super bright, the impact is a good backup, and the eco flare is a decent indicator light. Overall a very good kit, I have it and my dad has it.

rfreddo
11-20-2007, 21:08
I have the Princeton Tec LED kit as well. Only complaint is the poorly designed switch on the primary. Not sure who tested the light from a user interface standpoint, but my guess is they were not operating it underwater, with gloves on and while trying to do something with their free hand. The switch also seems to have some bad press on this board from a durability standpoint. I haven't had that issue yet, but it is not hard to believe.

terrillja
11-20-2007, 21:40
Not sure who tested the light from a user interface standpoint, but my guess is they were not operating it underwater, with gloves on and while trying to do something with their free hand.

I honestly don't get why the switch gets such bad press- I use mine with 3 finger mitts, which make anything hard, and have never had any trouble with it. The switch rocks to each side to adjust, and the switch lock is a nice feature.

CompuDude
11-20-2007, 21:50
i just order a princeton led pack from Scuba Toys
so will let you know on our next dive.

In Westhawk we have 15 ft visibility so a light is nice

Told by others that led is the way to go as long battery life time and enough light verses the uk that sucks batteries

UK LEDs don't suck batteries... dunno where you heard that. Neither does the HID. Can't speak for the Xenon/Halogen, as I haven't used them in years.

PT has a great warranty, but so does UK. And in my experience, you need to use PT's warranty more than you need to use UK's. That's why I prefer UK. I have several PT lights that I've sent in to be replaced (no argument, very straightforward no questions asked, but I still had to mail stuff and do without) more than once, and several UK lights that have never needed service.

Grin
11-21-2007, 09:10
I have a PT shockwave LED and it is really nice. It replaced a D8 UK that somehow got turned on out of the water and the case melted down. I must say I like the UK switch better, but the PT switch hasn't failed me yet. It only turns one way, and has a low power setting, then you continue to switch past that to get to the high setting. It's a little painful but not bad. The lights are about equal in output, except the LED light is about 1/2 the size, and the batteries last forever. The spectrum of the light is different also. The LEDS light is bluer and thus more efficient under water. Out of the water the UK D8 might even seem brighter, but it's a yellower spectrum of light which is not as efficient under water. UKs website explains it better, and it's true. I'd get LED. HID is the max you can get, but super expensive and has some other issues. If you are going to trun it on and leave it on all dive then maybe consider a HID. The LED is very durable and can handle flipping on and off very well(HIDs don't like that) and the batts last forever compared to all others.

frankc420
11-21-2007, 09:16
I owned the UK D8 (8 D cells) Xenon light and the PT Miniwave (4 C cell).

The D8 may be slightly brighter, but the light scatter is horrible compared to the Miniwave. The miniwave has 3 led's and has a wide span, but the light coverage in that span is full, meaning, it's a full circle of light. With the D8, it had a bright center, dim light around the center, another semi-bright halo around that and then it faded to the edges.

LED's have a blue tent to them also, which IMO works well for my eyes :)

rfreddo
11-21-2007, 13:01
Maybe it's just a hand size thing on the PT LED, but I can't operate the switch with much dexterity unless I hold the body of the light with my free hand. The switch seems to be too far out in front. For what it's worth, I wear a man's large glove, so I don't consider my hands to be too small.

mcc2318
11-26-2007, 13:03
LEDs run longer