PDA

View Full Version : Motion/Sea Sickness - are they the same?

davieeeee
10-19-2007, 22:41
The reason I ask is that while I know I get sea sick sometimes, I rarely (but have) gotten motion sick while on a car/plance etc.

I am hoping to test out some sea sickness pills to see which ones work for me (if any) but cant afford to take boat trips just for the sake of trying out medicine. So I wonder if I can replicate the feeling by say, concentrating on something while staring out of a moving car etc... I know I will eventually get motion sickness by doing that.. but there would be no point if sea sickness and motion sickness are two differnt things.

chace_nicole
10-19-2007, 23:10
Yep they are the same, but like you, many people have one with/without the other...here is a great article that talks about both and gives suggestions for motion sickness.
Dizziness and Motion Sickness (http://www.entnet.org/healthinfo/balance/dizziness.cfm)

Good luck!
Chace

CaptainRon
10-19-2007, 23:21
Try ginger capsules. They tested them on MythBusters and they really work. I used them on a trip in 18 foot seas and they worked for me.

tonysmjc
10-20-2007, 05:26
Many things work for some few for all

I have seen dramamine work for most everyone but it does make you tired

Eventhose accu pressure bands have some success

But the doctor prescribed patch or the pill

pscophase or scopalomine (both sic) seem to work on most and have no side effects I have seen

namabiru
10-22-2007, 03:36
Mmm... I hate to say it, but if you're prone to motion sickness, and you get out on the ocean and the boat is rocking from side to side, scop isn't going to help you much at all. I was using the patch religiously on my liveaboard, but we had some bad weather. While I wasn't puking on the deck, thank god, I was still exhausted and had upset stomach and headache.

Right when everyone was feeling completely miserable... that's when the captain decided to give his 30 minute soliliquy, for which we had to sit up. That just about killed me...

Tableleg
10-22-2007, 11:50
Try ginger capsules. They tested them on MythBusters and they really work. I used them on a trip in 18 foot seas and they worked for me. I'd believe it. The last cruise I went on, I meet a lady who was just sucking down ginger root candy she said she finds in an Asian grocery store close to her house. From what she was telling me, she resembled namabiru with out them. :smiley36:

Chief_Gunner
10-23-2007, 12:41
Being a sailor, I see this alot. The patches seem to work the best. They don't make you tired and are pretty effective. Some of the "old school" fixes are eating crackers or bread, drinking sprite, or just laying down. Often times, a little food in your stomach helps, but if you are throwing up all the time, go with the patch.

CompuDude
10-23-2007, 14:21
The Patch (or the Scolp) pill works best for most, followed by Bonine (or Non-Drowzy Dramamine, or the generic, Meclizine Hydrochloride).

The trick with meclizine is to start a good 24 hours before you set foot on the boat. The 45 min or so called for by the instructions is woefully inadequate. I usually recommend taking one the night before, and one the morning of.

Theepdinker
10-23-2007, 19:15
A few remedies discussed at this site.
ReliefBand: Best Motion Sickness Remedy Yet (http://www.aeromedix.com/aeromedix_articles/reliefband/index.html)

I've carried a ReliefBand when traveling for several years now.
It's worked for me, my wife & anybody we have lent it to.
The best info about it on the above link, is the bottom half of the page.

Theep

gibson1525
10-25-2007, 10:28
nice article from nicole. it hits the cause dead on. if your brain is receiving different signals from your senses then you can feel sick. you can mimic sea sickness in a car by reading a book while sitting in the back. your eyes will be telling your brain that you aren't moving while your other senses are telling your brain that you are moving. This should give you a chance to try out different remedies. good luck.

BobArnold8265
10-25-2007, 10:37
Bonine always works well for my wife and I. My wife is prone to sea/motion sickness but we haven't had any issues since using Bonine.

wgt
10-25-2007, 12:39
Whatever you may plan to take for the prevention of motion sickness, please be cautious and informed. Adverse reactions, though perhaps reported as rare, can occur, with sensitivities varying greatly from person to person and there being great potential for anti-sea-sickness medications to interact with either disease conditions or other medications. For example, scopolamine can yield (note that the list is not complete -- also note that I am not picking on scopolamine, as unwanted effects are not unique to this drug and can certainly be produced by other over-the-counter meds, herbal concoctions, etc.):

Side effects:

dry mouth
dry eyes
rapid heart rate
constipation
erectile dysfunction (as evidently reported by Joe but not Larry)
vaginal dryness (as strangely reported by Larry -- I'm not judging anybody)
hallucinations
memory loss
loss of sweating
constricted pupils

Sudden withdrawal from scopolamine can also pose some difficulties:

dizziness (yay!)
upset stomach (yay again!)
disequilibrium (also yay!)

Allergic reactions are possible with potentially serious consequences:

rash
itching
dizziness
swelling
breathing problems

The drug may prove harmful in disease states affecting the following:

kidneys
liver
prostate and urinary system
GI tract
eyes (e.g., glaucoma)

Scopolamine can interact unfavorably with medications for:

depression
seizures
heart problems
anxiolytics
antihistamines

If you are uncertain, it is best to advise your physician about plans to add a new over-the-counter med in concert with your diving. Based on his/her knowledge of your physical condition and other medications, you can receive some rational guidance concerning risks versus benefits.

No Misses
10-25-2007, 14:10
Try some magic crackers. They work like a charm. These are those florecent orange crackers with peanut butter filling. It is just enough to settle a queazy stomach. They have no know side effects, unless you have a peanut allergy.

Good Luck.

namabiru
10-26-2007, 00:00
I'd believe it. The last cruise I went on, I meet a lady who was just sucking down ginger root candy she said she finds in an Asian grocery store close to her house. From what she was telling me, she resembled namabiru with out them. :smiley36:

I'll write that down and try them out. We sometimes get bad seas around here, so will take them on a short trip to see. Now to find Ginger Root candy here...

davieeeee
10-26-2007, 01:05
Thanks for the replies guys, I love the instant feedback of this forum!
Its suprising how many people get seasick in a sport that involves water!

YellowfinKunkfish
10-26-2007, 07:46
I am hoping this means I will not be sea sick on a boat. I have never been on a boat in high seas on the ocean, but want to visit the Flower Gardens next year. I always read books in the car, traveling through the hills of Branson Mo. Never once did I ever get sick. Never been sick on amusement park rides, or airplanes either.

Keeping my fingers crossed that this means I won't get sick on the boat!

Rhonda

roadster36us
10-29-2007, 14:49
You could try sitting in a chair that you can spin with your feet, look up close your eyes and spin as fast as you can. I don't get sea sick or motion sick, however I have found that to make me woosey and I have almost lost it. I also found if when I am feeling sick on the boat, I drink a bit of water and it calms my stomach

bubble-head
10-29-2007, 16:08
What seems to work for me is working on being hydrated by drinking water 48 hours before the charter, taking one 24hr "less drowsy" Dramamine the night before and one the morning of the dive. I eat a bland breakfast, usually a breakfast bar, and am usually good for the trip out and in. I also make sure I don't get suited up too early in the heat. I've seen many people sick from this.

Travelnsj
10-29-2007, 23:04
The only thing that works for me is Mechlizine....that is the active ingredient in Bonine and Dramamine....you spend $10 for a few capsules of Bonine or go to Costco and ask for Mechlizine get a 100/25 mg for around $6.

missnumnutz
10-29-2007, 23:32
Try some magic crackers. They work like a charm. These are those florecent orange crackers with peanut butter filling. It is just enough to settle a queazy stomach. They have no know side effects, unless you have a peanut allergy.

Good Luck.

where can one gets these magic crackers??? :smiley9: (hungryy)

CompuDude
10-30-2007, 04:11
The only thing that works for me is Mechlizine....that is the active ingredient in Bonine and Dramamine....you spend $10 for a few capsules of Bonine or go to Costco and ask for Mechlizine get a 100/25 mg for around $6.

To clarify, yes, both Bonine and Non-Drowsy Dramamine have Meclizine Hydrochloride as their active ingredient. It's readily available over the counter in large-count pill bottles (be sure to get the standard 25mg pills!), because it is used for a variety of other ailments as well, such as vertigo experienced by those with Multiple Sclerosis and other ailments affecting the body's balance center.

Aussie
10-30-2007, 06:40
I go with ginger. Start adding ginger into your diet days before your out at sea. If you dont like the taste there is plenty of tastless ginger tablets. I find it works really well and its natural.

Aussie

divechaplain-sara
10-30-2007, 15:14
I am hoping this means I will not be sea sick on a boat. I have never been on a boat in high seas on the ocean, but want to visit the Flower Gardens next year. I always read books in the car, traveling through the hills of Branson Mo. Never once did I ever get sick. Never been sick on amusement park rides, or airplanes either.

Keeping my fingers crossed that this means I won't get sick on the boat!

Rhonda

The only place I've ever had motion sickness was on a boat. However, I took one of the over the counter meds an hour prior to setting out on a Flower Gardens trip in May which had seas at about 6-8 feet for the ride out--they calmed down to about three feet by the time to dive--no motion sickness that time. Another thing that helps me is to always stay up wind from any exhaust fumes, the odor mixed with the motion seems to be what does me in.

Otter
10-30-2007, 15:52
Bonine worked great for me, and I also had some ginger gum on the side just in case. I get seasick very easily and was worried I would not be able to complete my open water cert dives. After taking the Bonine (the night before and in the morning) not only did I feel great all day but I was able to eat the meals that the boat provided!

therealtreehugger
11-16-2007, 09:50
Where is the best place to get the Ginger candy? Will grocery stores have it? or do I need to find a health food store? Is there any other natural remedy? I hate taking any medication unless absolutely necessary. I can't remember the last time I even took an asprin.

Puffer Fish
11-16-2007, 10:07
Where is the best place to get the Ginger candy? Will grocery stores have it? or do I need to find a health food store? Is there any other natural remedy? I hate taking any medication unless absolutely necessary. I can't remember the last time I even took an asprin.
Some ginger candy is just that, ginger flavored. Try a piece of actual ginger, or dried ginger (sweetened).

If you do a live aboard, you will find that for the most part, all one has to do is avoid the problem for the first day and 1/2 or so, then most people (even sensitive ones) can stop taking anything.

Travelnsj
11-16-2007, 17:48
Becky I have gotten ginger chews, candies, pills at a health food store.....and they have been thrown up....and to me it does not matter if it is the middle or the end of a liveaboard....I still get sick....thus I do pretty much land based operations.

Puffer Fish
11-16-2007, 19:41
Becky I have gotten ginger chews, candies, pills at a health food store.....and they have been thrown up....and to me it does not matter if it is the middle or the end of a liveaboard....I still get sick....thus I do pretty much land based operations.
Ginger only works for about 40% of the people (which is fairly good, by the way).. there are the over the counter stuff, and some good presciption ones. My point was that you have to get by that first day (with or without medication), to not need it later. If you get sick, some people will stay sick...you seem to be one.

Travelnsj
11-16-2007, 23:30
Ginger only works for about 40% of the people (which is fairly good, by the way).. there are the over the counter stuff, and some good presciption ones. My point was that you have to get by that first day (with or without medication), to not need it later. If you get sick, some people will stay sick...you seem to be one.

I've gotten by that first and second day thinking I have my Sea Legs....LOL....what an arrogant attitude I've had:smiley19:

Puffer Fish
11-17-2007, 10:59

I've gotten by that first and second day thinking I have my Sea Legs....LOL....what an arrogant attitude I've had:smiley19:

Well, I forgot to say they have to be bad days... not calm ones...you need to get by the first day or so of bad days.

There seems to be a level that effects people.. both the type and size vary a lot. Having been thru this with thousands of people, the trick is to have something that gets you by the point where you would get sick and allows adjustment. If you get sick, all bets are off.

Monkeylemon
02-12-2008, 13:05
I know this is an old thread, but I have to put in my two cents: less-drowsy Dramamine. I suffer hideous motion sickness on ANY kind of transportation, and the less-drowsy Dramamine works great for me. I've seen it make some people a little sleepy, but I don't feel drowsy at all.

KGNickl
02-12-2008, 14:00
I know this is an old thread, but I have to put in my two cents: less-drowsy Dramamine. I suffer hideous motion sickness on ANY kind of transportation, and the less-drowsy Dramamine works great for me. I've seen it make some people a little sleepy, but I don't feel drowsy at all.
I used dramamine one time and it made me drowsy then sick. I believe the pill made me tired and the when I laid down to try to sleep the boat kept moving and made me nausious. Basically it did the opposite of what its supposed me for me. :smiley21:

Haven't used a pill like it since and been perfect!

CompuDude
02-12-2008, 15:47
I used dramamine one time and it made me drowsy then sick. I believe the pill made me tired and the when I laid down to try to sleep the boat kept moving and made me nausious. Basically it did the opposite of what its supposed me for me. :smiley21:

Haven't used a pill like it since and been perfect!

1) Dramamine, or Less-Drowsy Dramamine? Two completely different products, with completely different active ingredients, under the same brand name.

2) Going below decks is the WORST place to be if you are feeling nauseous. The end result is not really surprising...

Grin
02-13-2008, 08:46
I have periods where I can go out in raging seas with zero issues. Then I have periods where I can not hardy handle 3 ft seas. I have been trying to figure it out for years. What I have come up with is alergies and sinuses. I have recently been seeing a alergist and I am pretty sure it is helping alot. I need to give it alot of time(a year) to be confident I am right on this. Everyone thinks a pill will cure them. that may be the sace in soem epoples situations, but there are many things that cause motion sickness. Ear problems, congestion, colds, sinises alergies, eating a ton of greasy food before boating, hangovers, are basics to be aware of if you have seasickness issues. It is up to you to figure out which ones are your problem and how you need to address it.
In my case the sinus issues being resolved soemwhat seem to be making ahuge difference. I have had my best luck eating a dramamine before bed and then deciding if I should eat one in the morning. Also decide if I have sinus issues in the morning and eat sinus pills helps alot. I try to eat no pills, when diving. I tryed a ton of stuff.
I've seen people get sea sick on the flatest calm conditions in the world. Usually when I ask they state they have had ear issues in the past or present or sinus problems. A sinus infection or bad cold is going to screw you up IMO/ from my personal experience. No pill will fix that.

Monkeylemon
02-13-2008, 11:14
I'll mention, too, that I usually only take half the recommended dose of Less-drowsy Dramamine, and 95% of the time that's enough. And believe me, I have to take this medicine whenever I'm a passenger in a car, on a train, boat, subway, trolley...you name it, I can get nauseated on it!

pyre24
02-14-2008, 01:19
I havent had the problem just yet. I have had an upset stomach once awhile back. But nothing since. I should probaly get something just in case. I know one day it will hit me like a ton of bricks.

cmburch
02-14-2008, 08:31
I have always had problems with motion/sea sickness since I was a kid. (Winding roads, weaving in and out of traffic, small to 40'+ boats in uneven swells, helicopters, small planes, uneven turbulence on large airplanes, carnival rides that go in circles, IMAX movies, the Bourne Supremacy movie.) My parents or my wife talking about my problem while in a car, on a boat or even driving to do some diving would cause me to feel nauseous. I use to always lose it when I surfaced on my first dive, so I always ate some crackers first. For me; Dramamine, Bonine worked well, Scoplamine worked better. I later discovered that my problem was relate to my sinuses being clogged - once while diving with a cold, I took Sudafed. Now I take a time released 12hr Sudafed when boating or diving, and use the nasal inhaler Afrin when flying. I have had zero problems in over 5 years.