PDA

View Full Version : best fins for post - knee injury

devsung
10-20-2007, 11:36
Hello-

I've recently become addicted to snorkeling and although my diving has been limited to resort dives so far, I would like to certify and get more active.

Unfortunately about a year ago I injured my knee while swimming/snorkeling off the coast of Zihuatanejo in some pretty strong current. I've recovered 80% after much therapy and fortunately no surgery but on a recent trip to Grand Cayman my knee was feeling strain after 3 days of swimming with basic Tusa paddle fins (open heel, w/booties).

Question: I've been reading about split fins and wanted to know if this will help minimize the stress on my knees. The bio fins seem to be the standard but the recent scuba diving mag review mentioned the Mares Raptor and Atomic Smokes being good options. It also seems that the bios are softer than most other splits - I'm sure this is more an issue with perceived feel but any recommendations? I haven't spent more than $60 on fins so this would be a big jump. I'd like the option of spring straps as they seem to be the way to go.

Thanks for any advice!

PS - because most of my activity will be surface swimming, let me know if the splits are my most efficient, least-strain option

ScubaToys Larry
10-20-2007, 11:49
Right you are... I don't think you will find anything that kicks as easy as the bio fins. The Mares Raptor fins (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=MaresRaptorFin)are actually about the same as the Tusa Zoom fins (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=ZoomFins) - really only a minor cosmetic difference, and those are about 20 or 30 bucks cheaper, but I wear the apollo bio fins (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=BioFins)- and with your situation, it would be the fin of choice in my opinion.

As far as the spring straps - you can get the bios with the C-Strap (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Cstrap) included, or you could just get them with the standard straps, and add spring straps later on if you feel the need. There are many after market spring straps available.

Tilos Pro Diver Spring Straps, Fins, Tilos, Tilos Pro Diver Spring Straps (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=TilosProDiverSpringStraps)

XS Scuba Universal Spring Fin Straps, Fins, XS Scuba, XS Scuba Universal Spring Fin Straps (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=UniversalSpringFinStraps)

mitsuguy
10-20-2007, 14:45
I do NOT like the Tusa Zooms for head down swimming... the angle of the fin makes me swim "under" the water vs. on the water like I've been trained to do all my life... if you swim "on" the water, the angle of the blade is such that it flies in the air and is not efficient... for me at least...

under the water though, they are awesome... I love the split design, so I will actually be buying a pair of Tusa full foot split fins - they are like $40 at the LDS (sorry ST, I wanna try them on first), and I've heard nothing but positive reviews of them - they don't have the weird angle, so surface swimming should be significantly better for me than the angled zooms...

Rascal1933
10-20-2007, 16:33
Gotta agree with the Grand Poobah Larry.
Apollo Bios are the way to go!
I :smiley27: mine they are awesome fins > I own 2 pair.

BuzzGA
10-20-2007, 20:33
Interesting stuff. My fins have just about had it so I've been thinking about replacing them and since I have a bad knee all the advice is greatly appreciated.

Defman
10-20-2007, 21:07
Add another vote for Bio's.

devsung
10-21-2007, 07:24
Thanks for the advice Larry et al. Any comments on the XT version (higher durometer) of the biofins?

thor
10-21-2007, 22:52
I also recommend the Bio Fins. I have knees problems and they are the most comfortable fins I have used

meesier42
10-22-2007, 15:39
I would go for the ForceFin solution here, they have almost no torque on your knee and provide all the speed that the Bio's will, ForceFin also makes a split fin that is very similar to the Bio's, but work better.

just stay away from the pro's or the Tan Delta materiels, as they get more and more stiff

RoadRacer1978
10-22-2007, 15:48
Thanks for the info. I have just started diving alot and noticed my fins are making the muscles in the front of my shin/instep really tight. It is getting painful and I am thinking it is time to change things a bit. No need to be uncomfortable in the water and these are some really stiff long fins. Maybe I just kick to much, but the bio fins look like a good choice and hopefully will be a winner when it comes to comfort.

RECDiver
10-22-2007, 17:07
After my son's knee surgery I bought my him the Apollo Bio fins after he complained his knee bothered him when using his old pair of fins. Since he has been wearing the bio fins he has not had any problems at all.

CompuDude
10-22-2007, 17:47
Thanks for the advice Larry et al. Any comments on the XT version (higher durometer) of the biofins?

I prefer them to the regular bio fins, but for your circumstances (bad knee) you may as well get the max benefit of the splits and get the ones that are easier to kick. Standard bio fins should be fine for you.

Highly recommend the spring straps.

hychang
10-24-2007, 09:22
Folks, I've been reading this thread with great interest and figured my question may dovetail nicely here. I had surgery two years ago to remove a benign tumor (Schawnoma, if you're curious) from behind my left knee. This left me with about 90% control of my left foot, can't lift my big toe. So, I don't have the same strength from my kick from my left foot as I do from my right foot. I'm currently using the Mares Plana Avanti Quattro fins. I was wondering if the bio (regular or XT) would also benefit me as well, especially with muscle fatigue? Thanks. :smiley20:

I prefer them to the regular bio fins, but for your circumstances (bad knee) you may as well get the max benefit of the splits and get the ones that are easier to kick. Standard bio fins should be fine for you.

Highly recommend the spring straps.

divnhank
10-24-2007, 09:38
I have many fins, bought the Tusa Zooms last year and is pretty much all I dive with now. I don't have any head down issues, they have been exceptional for control with photography, and have been much better for surface swims than the ForceFins. Effortless, and have really eliminated leg cramps. BTW - purchased at ScubaToys.

Jipps
10-24-2007, 11:12
[quote=hychang;80297]Folks, I've been reading this thread with great interest and figured my question may dovetail nicely here. I had surgery two years ago to remove a benign tumor (Schawnoma, if you're curious) from behind my left knee. This left me with about 90% control of my left foot, can't lift my big toe. So, I don't have the same strength from my kick from my left foot as I do from my right foot. I'm currently using the Mares Plana Avanti Quattro fins. I was wondering if the bio (regular or XT) would also benefit me as well, especially with muscle fatigue? Thanks. :smiley20:

I would say to go with either a good set of splits like the bios or the atomics, another option for more surface work would be the Mares volo-power fins. A lightweight paddle fin great for people recovering from knee/hip surgery, and sometimes the paddle is easier to snorkel with. Personally i rehabed my knees with the mares quatros, very stiff, and was very painfull. Once i switched to the splits I was set.

hychang
10-24-2007, 12:12
Jipps and divinhank, thank you for your excellent feedback on my add-on question here. Now, can someone help me with my addiction to this forum? :smiley2:

Jipps
10-24-2007, 12:26
Jipps and divinhank, thank you for your excellent feedback on my add-on question here. Now, can someone help me with my addiction to this forum? :smiley2:

I only have a temporary solution, get away from the computer and go get under water. lol