PDA

View Full Version : White Fins?

booger
10-20-2007, 19:58
So , I need to buy some new fins. I'm still diving with some cheap old school fins I bought some 15 years ago and the quick release does not release any more. So, I've noticed several white fins on the market now, and although they would be great visibility wise, do you think I'd look silly? I know that function is more important than fashion when it comes to diving, but I guess I wanted some imput from other divers.

P.S. Some of the dives I've logged have had really poor viz (less than 5 ft.). Most of the time in that situation, I let my buddy lead. He and I both have black fins, but he has his initials in bright orange lettering on the bottom of his and I can keep track of him more easily than he can me.

What do you think?

chace_nicole
10-20-2007, 20:03
Not trying to hijack, just wanted to add a ? about the white fins incase someone dives these.
Will these fins stay white? or start to look really grungy? Maybe the material doesn't fade colorwise? I know its not all about fashion, but seems like the other available colors will stay looking newer longer. I would hate to want to buy new fins because they looked bad, its silly, but I would probably do it:smiley36::smiley36:

Pretty cool though what Larry says about the white fins & white balance for photography. WIll keep this in mind because I want to eventually get into this.

ScubaToys Larry
10-20-2007, 20:10
These have not been here long enough to give you a great answer, but as I traveled overseas, I was amazed at how many of the Japanese divers wore white gear. Fins, suits, masks... all kinds of white!

And it always seemed to look great. I was working on a novel once and I had a line "The Japanese divers all dressed in white, while the Americans seemed to don every color of the rainbow, as if tying to be more colorful than the corals and fish they came to see."

And it's mainly the Japanese companies that are now selling white here - Tusa and Apollo. Obviously it worked there so they are bringing it here.

Maybe some of our members in Japan can add additional insight?!

chace_nicole
10-20-2007, 20:26
I think it is a great answer. You saw the gear lookin good, no better experience than seeing it in use on other divers because surely it wouldn't be popular there if there were problems like that:smiley20:
Plus they always seem to be ahead of the game on most everything else.

moosicman
10-20-2007, 20:32
my one thought with white is do critters take to it a little more as they supposedly do with yum yum yellow??? anyone have any first hand knowledge? here is a website with some info on it....but if you guys have anything to offer it would be good to know as i make my choices on a buying a setup
Statistics of Shark Attacks on Divers (http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks/isaf/diverstats.htm)

Statistics of Shark Attacks on Divers (http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks/isaf/diverstats.htm)
Statistics of Shark Attacks on Divers: Victim Characteristics (http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks/scuba/VictChar/VictChar.htm)

DevilDiver
10-20-2007, 20:48
my one thought with white is do critters take to it a little more as they supposedly do with yum yum yellow??? anyone have any first hand knowledge? here is a website with some info on it....but if you guys have anything to offer it would be good to know as i make my choices on a buying a setup

Statistics of Shark Attacks on Divers: Victim Characteristics (http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks/scuba/VictChar/VictChar.htm)

Very cool web site. All of the searchs I have done on fish and never got that as a result...:smiley29: Thanks!!:smiley20:

chace_nicole
10-20-2007, 20:58
me & a friend who skydives always had the "discussion" of what was more likely a skydiving accident or scubadiving accident related to shark attack

I could never find statistical information for shark attacks on divers so thank you!:smiley20:
planning my argument now...jk!

Splitlip
10-20-2007, 21:05
I actually have a couple pairs of white fins and one black pair I marked with white so the "kids" could ID me better.

Seems to work without resorting to yellow. The "yum-yum" yellow does not concern me. I just think people look funny in yellow.

If you are interested in a pair of ABS Mantas, let me know. They are white and I think I will be posting them in the classifieds shortly.

musicat
10-21-2007, 09:36
I just got back from California where I did a little shore dive in the kelp with about 8 ft vis. My partner had white fins and it was a good thing. I would never have been able to follow him if it weren't for the fins. Fashion wise, they looked totally fine. He didn't have atomics but he had them for many years and many dives and they were clean.

I'd get white any day.

caroln
10-22-2007, 10:24
I've seen some people with the Tusa Tri Ex fins in white at Dutch Springs, and they certainly are easy to spot in low viz. Most of the other colored fins are too though. I had a pair of Cressi Reaction fins in clear with yellow accents, and I got loads of comments on how easy those were to see.

skippy11
10-22-2007, 15:41
I own a pair of Tusa Zoom Fins in White. I love them!! So far I have had no problems keeping them clean. They look as good as the day I bought them.

The visibility is awesome w/ white fins. We were at CSSP in Terrell about a month ago. Visibility was about 10 - 15 ft. There was a group of us following each other through the water; we spaced everyone out so that there was either a pair of yellow or white fins for the buddy team behind to follow. The yellow fins were okay, but the white stuck out very well and was by far the most visible.

I love my fins! I have had many complements on them, too.

Chocoholic
10-27-2007, 17:10
My most recent dive in Cabo had horrible vis, 20 foot is charitable. My buddy had green fins and I could find him easily, so glad he had them on. I gotta check out those white fins too.