PDA

View Full Version : Advice

kingfish
10-20-2007, 22:27
Gday, just wondering if i can get some advice please.

I have just finished my AOW last weekend and my instructor advised me to drop a bit of weight which i did during the course.
This has made it much more comfortable now as i am no longer bottom bashing my way along stirring stuff up. :)

I now find myself having to kick myself down to start a descent and while diving shallow i find i am having to kick back down deeper occationally as i start to drift up.

I even find myself trying to dump air but there basically isnt any in the bc.
Once i am a little deeper i am fine.
This is at depths of around 5m/16ft and a little deeper.

I am tempted to put a bit of weight back on when i dive shallower....or should i stick it out and i will improve with time.
I have only done a couple of shallow dives with the new weight so far and i am only on 16 or so dives logged so i have alot to learn.

Thanks for the help,
Jas.

emcbride81
10-21-2007, 00:49
I would slightly add weight, a pound or two. How are you when your tank is low, do you fight to stay down?

kingfish
10-21-2007, 01:07
Yeh i am fine at the start of the dive, but near the end as the air gets a little low i feel myself start to ascend ever so slowly once i am above 16ft.
When i fin myself down a bit deeper i am fine and i can hover pretty well.

Jas.

terrillja
10-21-2007, 02:40
Yeh i am fine at the start of the dive, but near the end as the air gets a little low i feel myself start to ascend ever so slowly once i am above 16ft.
When i fin myself down a bit deeper i am fine and i can hover pretty well.

Jas.

I know what you mean, I would try adding a lb if you are using a belt, or 2 if you are integrated, to stay even. You certainly don't want to get too buoyant and blow through a required deco stop because you are barely buoyant if a pound or 2 would make all the difference.

kingfish
10-21-2007, 02:55
Thanks for the help.:)
I will try a pound next dive and see how that goes.

Jas.

terrillja
10-21-2007, 03:01
Thanks for the help.:)
I will try a pound next dive and see how that goes.

Jas.

My dad just got certified this summer, and he was having the same issue, so I would carry some extra weight, switching weight in and out for him, and we finally got him dialed in.

Now he just bought a dry suit, so we will have to go through it all again...

kingfish
10-21-2007, 04:03
Hehe yeh im looking at a drysuit next winter id say.
Then i will have to go through it all again as well i suppose.

Jas.

plot
10-21-2007, 07:36
make sure you're fully exhaling too.

fire diver
10-21-2007, 07:51
You need to do a proper weight check. At the end of your next dive, bleed down your tank pressure to 500 or below if not there already. Drain all the air from your bc. Suck it flat to make sure (as long as you clean it regularly). remove all your weights. Now start adding them back in one at a time. When you can float with a full breath, but sink (all the way under) when you exhale, you are there.

It is very important to be able to hold your safety stops. If you are too bouyant you wont be able to. When you are properly weighted you will be about 6 pounds negative at the start of your dive with a full tank. You shouldn't have any problems going under with -6 pounds of bouyancy.

FD

kingfish
10-22-2007, 07:14
A couple of weeks ago i did a couple of deepish dives as part of my AOW and i didnt have a problem with the safety stops there and i felt quite comfortable throughout those dives, it just seems to be when i dive shallow i am fighting to stay down a bit.

I wonder if i am not fully exhaling at times....hmm i will try to be more aware of that. Thanks :)
Maybe i can convince my buddy to hold a pound for me on the next dive.

Then at the end of the dive i will do what you said fire diver.

Jas.

Boris42
10-22-2007, 07:55
make sure you're fully exhaling too.

I had the same issue when I first started with my new 5 mil. What I was doing though was not exhaling completely when I first submerged. As soon as I did, I was able to get down with no problem. Where I thought I needed 18lbs I was able to drop 4 lbs and still be neutral with 500 lbs of air at the end for my safety stop. I am looking forward to getting a Steel 120 next spring. It'll be nice to have a tank that's always neg. and not have to carry weight to compensate for that Al80 going positive at the end of the dive.

thor
10-22-2007, 13:17
15 feet can be a real challenge sometimes, and it is where you will have the most problems with bouyancy. Firediver is right about the weightcheck. Also is it a new wetsuit? Sometimes new wetsuits can trap air since they may not have been fully compressed. You shouldn't have to kick your way down from the surface. That is a clear indication that you are underweighted, not getting all of the air out of your BD, or lungs. Hang in there, and relax, and eventually you'll get the weighting right.

cheebaweebie
10-22-2007, 14:51
Steel 120's are the BOMB. I carry no weight in my BC and my tanks hold me down when empty. They are -11 lbs when full and -2 empty. If I wear a suit 7mm or 5mm I may add 4 to 6 lbs. It is always good to be a little heavier that light.

kingfish
10-22-2007, 15:09
Yes it is a pretty new suit, prolly only 5-6 dives with it.(7ml semi dry)
I am using a 12.2lt steel faber as well.
Thanks for the encouragement Thor.:)

Jas.

cummings66
10-22-2007, 17:34
When it comes to your weight requirements, don't let others dictate what you need. Do the test for yourself and use that amount of weight. Nobody has your body and nobody can tell you how much is right for you. Now if you had on 50 lbs of lead I think I could say you may safely remove some, but who knows how much other than you?

kingfish
10-24-2007, 07:08
Thanks again everyone for your help. :)

Jas.