PDA

View Full Version : SeaLife D600 or Sea & Sea DX 860G

Tinkerbell5648
10-20-2007, 23:33
Which camera is better? The SeaLife D600 or the Sea & Sea DX 860G. I am going to be taking an underwater photography class and need equipment before it starts, but am not sure what to get. Any opinions are helpful.

Krafcheck
10-22-2007, 11:33
To me the Sea and Sea looks too bulky and if you ask my wife kinda of cheap looking. I have been ordered to find a her a Sea Life camera within the next couple of weeks. For what it is worth.

jwdizney
10-22-2007, 14:12
I can't speak for the Sea and Sea, but we recently got the DC600 and have taken it on a couple of lake dives and it has been a GREAT camera! even without external strobe, it has a 'sea' mode that compensates for the loss of red underwater and i've gotten some really good pics of perch and catfish just from the camera's own flash... PLUS, the camera has a video mode too!.. we put a 1gig SD card in it and shot some video feeding fish underwater that came out really nice... when I get a chance, i'll try and upload them to the board... of course, all these pics are in close range (3-6 ft. mostly) but still... VERY happy with the camera's performance......:smiley20:

Zenagirl
10-22-2007, 18:14
We have the Sea&Sea DX8000G (discontinued now) and are very pleased with the quality of both the camera and housing.

FishFood
10-22-2007, 18:18
On paper they look about like the same thing.

Do you plan on adding a strobe or two in the future? I believe the Sea and Sea only has one connection where as the Sea Life has two.

On the flip side Id bet the battery life is better on the Sea & Sea. Not sure how it could be worse than the Sea Life. LOL! (dont let that turn you away. Still a good camera...)

gibson1525
10-24-2007, 16:03
My dad has the Sea Life 500 and has had many problems with the strobe firing. It is so bad that he's now had it on 3 trips and the strobe never works underwater. He takes it back to get fixed at the LDS, but as soon as it goes underwater the strobe won't fire.

I have the Sea & Sea dx-8000g and it is a great camera. Not quite as flashy to look at as the Sea Life but it is tough and I've never had a problem with it. The strobe arm folds over the top so it packs small while entering and exiting the water. I even back rolled off the boat with it for a whole weekend in Grenada without a problem. I would assume the 860g is made with the same quality. the 860g doesn't have as many manual controls as the 8000g in case that's something you want.

DevilDiver
10-24-2007, 18:02
[quote=gibson1525;80623]My dad has the Sea Life 500 and has had many problems with the strobe firing. It is so bad that he's now had it on 3 trips and the strobe never works underwater. He takes it back to get fixed at the LDS, but as soon as it goes underwater the strobe won't fire.

Have your dad trim the casing around the fiber optic cable tip. He will want to remove approx. 1/8" but be careful not to damage the cable. After re-insert the cable into the holder all the way until you can see the exposed section of the fiber optic. This should fix the problem....:smiley20:

cyclone
10-30-2007, 22:35
Which camera is better? The SeaLife D600 or the Sea & Sea DX 860G. I am going to be taking an underwater photography class and need equipment before it starts, but am not sure what to get. Any opinions are helpful.
Okey, I bought the sealife. Checked it's features and quality ( sucks ). Retured it the next day. Bought a different one which is sea and sea. Fully satisfied. Same price, but whole lot of features. Sea and sea picture quality almost 2X as better than sealife. It has 4 or 5 games I think (tetris, soduku, snake, and another one ) good for waiting for your safety stops, play it on your camera. It has voice recorder, upto 8 megapixel, lots of goodies on the menu botton. I took pictures under water, and the quality is crystal clear. The video mode blew me away. You can choose from two compression, one is 320X320 or 680x680. There menu options for video. The quality of the video is like having a full featured video camera only this one is in a camera. The camera itself is thin and small about 1/4" inch thick and about 2 1/2" by 4". The casing is like ergonomic design, kind of like porche of cars. Japan made so expect quality, performance and features. Don't waste money for Sealife, I returned mine. So, it's up to you.

cyclone
10-30-2007, 22:37
To me the Sea and Sea looks too bulky and if you ask my wife kinda of cheap looking. I have been ordered to find a her a Sea Life camera within the next couple of weeks. For what it is worth.
Yep, bulk in features. Buy both first and see the difference.

mcc2318
11-20-2007, 01:44
sea life

LI Diver
11-26-2007, 16:08
Never tried the sea and sea but have the dc600 and I'm not happy with it so far. (about 20 dives and 800 images later) Slow cycling, terrible battery life and hard to hold with gloves on and not accidentally change settings. OK so maybe the last one is me. Not sure if everyones experience is the same or I got a bad one. On the other hand their customer service was great.

LI Diver
11-26-2007, 16:14
Also why are you ruling out a land camera with a housing? My old canon a70 ran circles around my dc600. And I used my daughters canon sd600 this weekend side by side w/ the sealife and promptly tossed the sealife back in the bag. We were at an aquarium and as the sea lions or sharks swam past the windows all I got with the sealife was tails. With the canon I could get 2 or 3 images before they left the frame!!!!!!

ryssyr
12-27-2007, 01:32
I purchased the sea and sea 860g combo with strobe before my last overseas diving trip. The camera is bulky on the surface (especially with the strobe mount and strobe), but while diving its nearly neutral --slightly negative and easy to handle one handed. It takes very good pictures and ok video. I need to get larger sd cards for longer video. You can check out some of the photos on my sig link below.

I have a question as well... does anyone have a good example of what a wide angle conversion lens is like for the sea and sea cameras?

therealtreehugger
12-27-2007, 07:40
I have a sea & sea 860g, and it is a good camera. I also have a strobe, and a macro lens, which makes it take great closeups, which is what I want. I would highly recommend it over the sealife. My LDS carries both, but he strongly recommended the Sea and Sea.

What did you end up getting? Do you like it?

cyclone3565
01-11-2008, 14:28
Nobody says the digitals are great. does that tell us something?