PDA

View Full Version : Warm Water Diving

FishFood
07-17-2007, 20:45
What do yall do for warm water diving?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Usually I just wear a swim suit, but lately Ive been getting eat up with jellyfish when diving the gulf. I had originally been against getting a skin suit, mainly because of the price. (my LDS only carried the more expensive Oceanic skin suits) However, ST carries some less expensive brands.
</DIV>
<DIV>Has anyone used these brands - Tilos &amp; Henderson? Is it worth $60 to get the Oceanic or would a cheaper brand do the job?</DIV>

Joew
07-17-2007, 21:20
The Oceanic is more pricey because it is made from 0.5mm neoprene. The Tilos and Henderson skins are made from lycra.

tc_rain
07-17-2007, 22:04
I have the Bare 3mm velocity and use it for warm water diving. I do not get overly warm in it and it offers a good degree of protection. I had it for around 2 years and purchased from Scubatoys for under 100. The suit fits great and holds up great. <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

FishFood
07-17-2007, 22:11
The Oceanic is more pricey because it is made from 0.5mm neoprene. The Tilos and Henderson skins are made from lycra.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Ahh. That explains that. THanks</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>As for a 3 mil wetsuit. The hassle of putting it on and taking it off isn't worth it IMO. Not to mention walking to the dive site. Thouhgt I was going to have a heat stroke before I hit the water a couple weeks ago during a shore dive. When I hit the water and found out it was quite warm, I was quite Irritated http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley5.gif</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>BTW, I get hto quickly. I use my 3mil for my "cold" water dives w/o a problem. </DIV>

przeor
07-18-2007, 07:32
you've got to start diving where there aren't any jellies! Typically I'll just wear a swimsuit and a Nike Dry-fit (or knock-off) t-shirt. Depends on the temp- I really dislike wetsuits, something about being free in the water- not free like the thread about naked diving, but more free than in a wetsuit..

lucidblue
07-18-2007, 20:06
I just received the Bare Brigade 3/2 full wetsuit I ordered from ST. Definitely need a bigger size, but also wondering if I really need it for warm water diving (probably mostly Caribbean). When I was on vacation in Cozumel last month I wore a long sleeved 3mm shorty and was pretty comfortable during 4 days of 2 tank dives. Can't decide if I want to:

- exchange for the Brigade short-sleeved shorty
- just wear the henderson hot skin I have
- try a rash guard with some type of skin shorts (and maybe have a vest for if I get cold)

I tend to get cold kind of easily, didn't have any problems in Cozumel, but not sure how I'd if we did more days of diving with more dives per day (which we definitely will next trip). I hate full wetsuits more every time I put one on. Shorty wasn't bad, just hate being in the full.

downunder
07-18-2007, 20:29
Everytime I dive the caribbean, I just wear a swim suit and t-shirt under the BC - and that's obviously just for comfort. I would get way too hot. I have never had a problem with the jelly fish and I stay just clear of the bottom.... Can't imagine wearing anything - even a 3mm

the gooch
07-20-2007, 21:08
I always wear at least my 3/2 shorty. I think I would feel naked with anything less.

wxboy911
07-20-2007, 21:19
I was diving in the Gulf on 7/6/07 and I wore my Tilos dive skin...I had no trouble with the jellies, it kept the sun off me, and I also found out that the tilos xxl fit me great. I bought the same size in a 7/5 semi dry for diving here in NY from tilos and it was like I had tried it on before buying. Now I use the dive skin so the wetsuit will slide on easy....
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=TilosLycraSkinSuit</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Well worth the $38.</DIV>

thor
07-23-2007, 15:43
I use the Henderson Hyperstretch 3mm full suit when I am in the Carribean. It is very comfortable, and not as warm as other 3mm suits. Very, veryeasy to get on and off. Dress for the water, not the boat or shore.

Skinsfan1311
07-31-2007, 10:23
Excel 3/2 shorty.....

thesmoothdome
07-31-2007, 11:57
I've always worn a full suit in warm water. Back in the day, when I had very little body fat, I'd find myself getting chilled on multi-day diving vacations, even with water in the low 80s. For my last trip to Belize, I had a 3/2 full suit, a 3 mil vest and a 3 mil beanie. The vest and the beanie weren't needed though. I tend to overpack exposure protection though. I hate being cold. It's easier to cool down than to warm up.

Phestr
08-09-2007, 02:01
Out here in Okinawa, I usually go with swimtrunks and a rashguard from the beginning of spring until late summer. Then, here come the jellies. So , late summer-early fall, I wear a Henderson skin. in 95-98 degree weather with 82 degree bottom temp, a 3mm is just too much.

brandon
08-09-2007, 02:34
I use what I affectionately refer to as my "ghetto shorty." It's a 3mm fullsuit that I bought on my first warm water dive trip in 2002. On the next warm water trip (2004), I discovered that my shoulders had broadened, and it no longer fit.

It was 5am when I made this discovery, and the boat was leaving at 6:30 am. A quick modification with my shears turned the fullsuit into a farmer john, and I've used that since.

-B.

deepdiver47
08-09-2007, 07:27
Remember, you don't have to outswim the shark...you just have to outswim your buddy.

Now that is funny :SHOCKED:

WV Diver
08-09-2007, 07:29
I always like to have a full suit for protection against whatever may be in the water. I usually wear a 3 mil full suit no matter the water temps.

deepdiver47
08-09-2007, 07:30
I use a full length Mare 1 mm revolution for 82 and above. You can't beat it for $35. My Oneil 3 mm for anything under that. Don't believe in shorties, i mean do want to be protected or not?

cummings66
08-09-2007, 18:22
I usually wear a 3 mil full suit no matter the water temps.

That's some pretty bold talk there fella. Around my parts you'd never get below the thermocline with that one, not for long.

Seriously though, in warm water diving I'd use a 3mm no matter what. I can hack it, but it's rare for me to see water temps of over 80 degree's unless it's the first couple feet.

JodiBB
08-09-2007, 18:31
I just got back from Jamaica and dove in my bathing suit and t-shirt. During the night dives, I wore a full .5mm isotherm to protect me from the possible jellies that tend to be attracted by the lights, but I never saw them.

nferra2
08-09-2007, 20:19
I think he means he wears atleast a 3mm suit. Personally, I don't want to go anywhere cold enough to need much more than a 3mm

Phestr
08-09-2007, 20:47
I agree, but we're kinda spoiled here. I've never needed more than a 3mm, and that's in the dead of winter. That's what happens on a tropical island. I think the lowest I've seen is 68 at depth. Of course, I carry a bit of...um...builtin insulation.

Damselfish
08-09-2007, 20:55
Is it worth $60 to get the Oceanic or would a cheaper brand do the job?
If getting cold isn't a problem a lycra skin will do the job. But I've found the .5 or 1mm neoprene to be both more durable, and easier to get on when it's still damp. I used to use lycra but have pretty much moved to the thin neoprene now because of that.