PDA

View Full Version : T-I-R-E-D of Shaving!!!!

YellowfinKunkfish
10-21-2007, 10:56
Alright, I'm sick and tired of shaving my legs. I'm also sick of worrying about looking like a hairy bear on dive weekends when we're camping. I've tried Nair in the past, and it either doesn't work at all, or if I leave it on long enough to actually work, it burns my skin.

Has anyone ever used one of these products that actually works? And works well?? What about the lotions that are supposed to keep your hair from growing much at all??

I would really rather not wax my legs, too large an area for that much pain. :smiley5:

It would be nice to go camping, and not worry about it, and not get all itchy.

Anyone have any suggestions?? What does everyone else do when you go camping on dive weekends, or live-aboards??

Rhonda

K8brandt
10-21-2007, 12:40
I have found Veet works well, and is less harsh than Nair. I've also had experience with laser hair removal, yes it kept some of the hair from coming back, but not all of it. It's a LONG on-going process and wasn't worth the expense.

fire diver
10-21-2007, 12:41
Try being a guy and shaving every single day!

Zenagirl
10-21-2007, 12:55
I had laser hair removal on legs, underarms, and bikini line, and I think it was well worth the time and expense. No, they can't get 100% of your hair, but I only have to shave my underarms and legs once every 3 weeks during the summer, and reduce that to around once a month during the rest of the year. My bikini line gave me 100% results (yay!!) so I've been lucky there. The hair that does grow is either very fine and light brown, or very fine and blonde, no more of those thick, ugly dark hairs.

For our 2 week liveaboard this summer, I shaved the morning we left then not again until we got home. The fine light brown and blonde hairs just didn't show (or grow) enough to need a shave mid-trip.

It's not an inexpensive proposition though.

K8brandt
10-21-2007, 13:38
I had the bikini line done also and was not satisfied. Perhaps because it was a few years ago. Technology is much better now, and probably less expensive?

Fire Diver, the laser hair removal works on guys also.....:icon_biggrin:

chace_nicole
10-21-2007, 14:45
Have you tried the nair for sensative skin? I have had that happen with nair also, didn't work so I reapplied & left it on for just a couple minutes more & voila!

dallasdivergirl
10-21-2007, 16:44
Nair or Veet neither one worked for me.

I am seriously considering the lazer hair removal.

Liv7301
10-21-2007, 17:30
This is something that I have been contemplating. We have a liveaboard trip coming up and I am just going to assume that the shower is going to be fairly tiny. I am hoping that someone has a fantastic suggestion because otherwise I will be only shaving my legs once or twice during the week long trip. (I am lucky that it's not too fast growing.) And since it's going to be Nov. I will probably have my full wetsuit on much of the day. Still I would like to avoid spending days feeling prickly.

YellowfinKunkfish
10-21-2007, 17:46
Well, so far it sounds like the Laser removal is pretty popular. I have heard of that, and considered it. It's definitely something I will check into for the future, but for now, I'm looking for a cheaper option.

chace_nicole: Nair for sensitive skin is my most recent purchase, in fact it's still in the shower. It didn't work. I had already left it on longer than recommended, and my skin was red, so I don't think re-applying would have been a very good idea.

I haven't tried Veet, so I'll give that a shot before I give up.

I am really curious about the lotions that advertise slowing down hair growth. I wonder if that really works??

Laser removal IS looking really good, but I would hate to pay a lot of money, and have it not work very well. If you don't mind, would those of you who have done it give me a ball park figure on how much?

Thanks,
Rhonda

Anne Eastwell
10-21-2007, 17:55
I had my underarms and brazilian lazered and had really good results. It works better on dark hairs than lighter ones. I'm supposed to have gone back for top up treatments to virtually eliminate the hair but haven't done it.... my regrowth has been very fair and very fine so I don't think it will do much more.

I ony shave my underarms about every 6 weeks now, less in winter and that's only to get rid of the fluff. My bf assures me it can't be seen, but it irritates me.

chace_nicole
10-21-2007, 18:19
If you think waxing is painful, laser is not for the faint of heart...at least in my experience. Like a rubber band snapping the skin, over & over.
Was is worth it, yes. Would I do it again? yes.
Waxing is painful but quick, but not permanent.
Sorry I cannot really answer you on price, my laser hair removal was only done on a small area. Six treatments spread out over 6-7 months because hair grows in cycles.
On a scale of 1-10, how would those of you who have had laser hair removal rate the pain...10 being the worst?

Anne Eastwell
10-21-2007, 18:47
I probably had about 6-8 treatments 2 months apart. Each one A$150. My underarms weren't too bad pain-wise - about a 3 on the pain scale. Brazilian was another matter, I used a numbing cream for that especially around the pink bits! without cream it would have been a 9, with the cream it's about a 3. From the comments by the laser lady, I seem to have a high pain threshold.

K8brandt
10-22-2007, 06:08
Yep, I wanted the Barbie Doll, the numbing cream helped a wee bit, but I guess I didn't have enough treatments. I got this link (Philips Bodygroom (http://www.shaveeverywhere.com/)) as a joke, or so I thought. It is a real product and works very well on both sexes. Just saw it a Costco yesterday. No further comment......

chace_nicole
10-22-2007, 17:47
Yep, I wanted the Barbie Doll, the numbing cream helped a wee bit, but I guess I didn't have enough treatments. I got this link (Philips Bodygroom (http://www.shaveeverywhere.com/)) as a joke, or so I thought. It is a real product and works very well on both sexes. Just saw it a Costco yesterday. No further comment......

Thats freakin hillarious!!!!!! They really know how to market to men:smilie39:

Zenagirl
10-22-2007, 18:07
ROFLOL...that is the funniest thing I've seen in a long time!!!

I found that laser hair removal wasn't very painful at all but a friend of mine could barely stand it. Everyone has a different pain tolerance, so you won't know until you try.

I paid $700 for 6 treatments every 8 weeks for my lower legs. Underarms were like $350 for 6 treatments. Not cheap, but worth every penny IMO.

Anne Eastwell
10-22-2007, 18:37
It looks like the Aussie prices are similar.... it was $50 for underarms. I got a quote to do my lower legs - it was about $250 each session. I decided not to bother as my leg hair ain't dark enough for the laser to see! My vision however is apparently far better!!!! I'm stuck with waxing, I also still wax the fluffy bits around my brazilian.

chace_nicole
10-22-2007, 18:41
ROFLOL...that is the funniest thing I've seen in a long time!!!

I found that laser hair removal wasn't very painful at all but a friend of mine could barely stand it. Everyone has a different pain tolerance, so you won't know until you try.

I paid $700 for 6 treatments every 8 weeks for my lower legs. Underarms were like $350 for 6 treatments. Not cheap, but worth every penny IMO.

yeah, I'm a wimp:smiley36::smiley36:
I tried the topical for some relief prior to the procedure, but I don't think the nurse practitioner gave it enough time to really be effective.

YellowfinKunkfish
10-22-2007, 18:52
Thanks everyone,

Sounds like the laser is expensive, but if it works well, is probably worth every penny. The pain..... I'm not sure, I'm kind of a wimp when it comes to pain. Can't be much worse than waxing though.:smiley29:

Rhonda

Anne Eastwell
10-22-2007, 18:55
Laser loves dark hair, the darker the better the result. If you're naturally fair haired then the results won't be as good long term...

ParrotheadDiver
10-25-2007, 12:07
This is something that I have been contemplating. We have a liveaboard trip coming up and I am just going to assume that the shower is going to be fairly tiny. I am hoping that someone has a fantastic suggestion because otherwise I will be only shaving my legs once or twice during the week long trip. (I am lucky that it's not too fast growing.) And since it's going to be Nov. I will probably have my full wetsuit on much of the day. Still I would like to avoid spending days feeling prickly.

Well I can tell you what I do....probably not cool but oh well....I shave on the back dive deck in the evening when everyone is either sleeping drinking or getting ready for dinner....the Aggressor has warm showers on the dive deck and I just take my shampoo and get after it...

Chocoholic
10-27-2007, 17:05
I use an electric shaver (Norelco) every day on holidays, that would work on a liveaboard as they tend to hold a charge for at least a week. Don't try it on your underarms though, ouch! I have to shave everyday, even with a 4blade razor they don't stay smooth long. I am seriously considering the Lazer deal.

Doug B
10-27-2007, 21:12
Ahhhhh, never mind...

lovesmexico615
10-27-2007, 22:54
I've done the laser- and I find it more painful on my legs (shin- 7/10) than my bikini line (maybe a 4/10) or underarms (1/10). I probably have a high tolerance for pain though... I'm one of those people who doesn't get novacane at the dentist if I can help it...

From_Arizona
11-25-2007, 21:12
Looks like an older thread, but I will throw my 2 cents in...

I was going through a 4 blade high cost blade every other day in the summer - daily shaving necessary due to dark fast hair growth... everywhere!

I started laser hair removal and wish I did this long ago! The cost is not cheap, but after cuts, nicks and the cost of those 4 blade razer replacements it has been easier to chunk off each treatment. I have had one treatment on my legs and instead of 1 blade every other day, I am now using one twin blade disposable every week to accomplish the same thing, bikini & underarm area is on treatment three and I think I will only need two more to get it pretty much gone.

Each person is different with pain, I have only used ibuprofin beforehand and iced some areas (bikini and underarm) afterwards to help ease the sting. The icy aloe vera really helps too! The pain has been worst around the foot/ankle and across the pelvoc bone area, the rest has been failry mild in comparison. This works well for those with dark hair and fair skin, they do have a laser for those with darker skin, but it is not as effective. I understand that the blond hair is not recomended since the hair follicles do not absorb the heat from the laser.

scubajane
11-26-2007, 16:00
well either I'm not very hairy or hair does not bother me. since on dive trips I shower every day I shave every day. no biggy. I use the opportunity in the shower to stretch out my legs while shaving. also I wear a 3 ml or skin suit so the hair is not visible until evening. a long skirt covers many hairs