PDA

View Full Version : Our first family 'blue water' dive... @ Disney!

jwdizney
10-21-2007, 16:50
Okay, i'm not going to go through the whole "what is Disney's Dive Quest" details since there are already some great threads on it here...
Epcot's DiveQuest at the Living Seas (http://forum.scubatoys.com/southeast-florida/1245-epcots-divequest-living-seas.html)
Disney World Resort Epcot Scuba (http://forum.scubatoys.com/trips-travel/755-disney-world-resort-epcot-scuba.html)

BUT, I've got to say a few things about our experience, as a family, on our first family dive together..... We were joined by NitroWill at Disney's Epcot for the dive and he was just like another family member! We went through the intro and pre-dive briefings, and tours, then off to dive what some refer to as the 6th largest ocean in the world!.... I've got to admit, I was a bit apprehensive, but over the past few weeks i've really been working on my diving "comfort" zone and DisneyMom and I have made several lake dives together... I had no idea what i was about to encounter, though. we've been diving in 8-12' vis, and this dive was over 200' vis! as soon as we started our descent, I was HOOKED! what an incredible underwater environment! we encountered virtually any sea life you could imagine, from 10' sharks, to 800 lb. sea turtles and everything in between!... the dive lasted 40 minutes, and i could have gone for days!... the reefs are manmade, but look so realistic, the sea life is healthy and abundant... daughter and I came within a couple of feet of a huge shark!... we couldn't take pictures, but we did purchase a video of our dive experience, since Disney had a videographer in the dive with us. we also had a great time entertaining the children in the overlook and the diners in the Coral Reef restaurant, both of which had large observation windows into the aquarium environment.... we did the dive on our first night at disney world, and all I wanted to do the rest of the week was go do the dive again... incredible.!!....

afterwards, we had dinner together with Will and shared our stories from the adventure.... there's no way to see or do it all in one dive... we're definitely going to do it again on our next visit in May, and hopefully, Will can join us again!....

The only real disappointment from the whole thing was the behaviour of some of the ST forum members after Will made a post about our dive last week... Will had posted a picture of us at dinner, and SOME of the members made some inappropriate comments about MY underage daughter, which I do not appreciate.... Thank you Will for removing the picture and the comments..... it's too bad that some people have to be that way.....:zx11pissed: it really stains the integrity of this forum.....

ANYWAY,
if you're considering the dive, DO IT!.... you won't be disappointed!

dallasdivergirl
10-21-2007, 17:02
I am glad to hear you talk about your dive and giving the details. Will wasn't too descriptive :)

NitroWill
10-21-2007, 17:47
Glad yall could come and experience what the good life of diving is like ;) It was great diving with your whole family and you will definitely have to come back soon so I can show yall some great ocean and springs diving! Now get me that video so I can share it with the board!

deepdiver47
10-21-2007, 18:50
Thanks JW for a great story. Hmm, Am I missing something or is the same guy that was afraid of the deep end of a pool? Don't look now, you are getting hooked and ST is your drug dealer.

Dive together and stay together. Hopefully everyone will stick with it well into your golden years! Nitro, someday I want to come to FL to dive with you, even if you are a kid :)

Having an underage daughter (she is 15) myself I agree whole heartedly with your comments. You have every right to be red faced.

With regards to who commented, Grow up guys, keep that crap in the school yard!

jwdizney
10-21-2007, 20:31
Thanks JW for a great story. Hmm, Am I missing something or is the same guy that was afraid of the deep end of a pool? Don't look now, you are getting hooked and ST is your drug dealer.

Dive together and stay together. Hopefully everyone will stick with it well into your golden years! Nitro, someday I want to come to FL to dive with you, even if you are a kid :)

Having an underage daughter (she is 15) myself I agree whole heartedly with your comments. You have every right to be red faced.

With regards to who commented, Grow up guys, keep that crap in the school yard!

SAME GUY.... still anxious sometimes, but getting better..... i figure as long as I keep addressing my 'issues', sooner or later, i'll be rid of them!...

I recommend checking with Will up if you plan on diving in Fla... he's a great guy and a very experienced, intelligent, and SAFE, diver.. He certainly has a passion for the sport, and knows a lot about the different diving options in Fla.....

I'm working on getting Will a copy of the Dive Quest video, and he's going to post a version on the board... watch for it!....

fire diver
10-21-2007, 21:35
Glad to hear you had such a great time diving. NOW you understand what we talk about when we rave about places like Coz, Cayman, etc.

Just don't give up on the lake dives though. They are great training grounds until you get back to clear water diving. If you can dive here, you can dive anywhere.

Oh, thanks for the dive report. I'll have to schedule some diving there if I find myself back there again.

FD

chace_nicole
10-21-2007, 21:40
YEA congrats on the 1st Dizney fam dive! sounds like it was wonderful, thanks for sharing. Very excited to see the video!

Disneymom
10-21-2007, 21:43
It was a GREAT dive with the hubby JW, our daughter, and our honorary family member Will! :smiley36:

Playing with the kids (and adults) in the observation windows is fun, playing with the folks in the restaurant is fun, and getting up close and personal with the big grouper, turtles and the sharks was great, too. The staff is very accomodating there. Although I enjoyed the backstage portion, I could've happily spent that time diving instead. It just wasn't long enough. I can't wait to do it again.

Will - it was great to meet you, and we enjoyed sharing the diving and spending the evening hangin' out with you. Plus.... unless I'm mistaken.... I got to be your buddy for your first "back in the water" dive!! Hey, that's an honor for me!

If anybody gets an opportunity to dive with Will, he may be a 'kid' as DD47 put it, but he's intelligent, knows his diving, and is fun to dive with. He also could dive circles around about everyone else I saw at that dive. Looking forward to diving with him again. I'm guessing by the time I get to do that, he'll have his DM.

JW and daughter did GREAT! It was my first time to dive with our girl, and she is a natural. I'm thrilled that JW was ready to do it again the next day (although we didn't) - he did awesome. I'm proud of both of them!! I did have a tough time keeping track of both my buddy and my family... but I did - sort of.

NitroWill
10-21-2007, 22:00
It was a pleasure to dive with all of you! Id do it again in a heartbeat - just get down this way!

JW and Daughter did to very well for their first dives! Even did a couple of swim thrus with no big problems! Keep it up - or yall just move down here so you can get spoiled with nice dives like that like me :)

hoop
10-21-2007, 22:28
Sounds like a good time was had by all! Congrats on the blue water experience!

caroln
10-22-2007, 10:43
It sounds like you all had a great time. You're making me want to book a ticket down to Orlando right now and do this dive. I did the shark dive at the Camden aquarium up here recently and loved it, but this dive has turtles which are my favorite critters to see anywhere. It's really cool that you guys got to do it as a family too. I am excited that my one brother just got certified. I took one of my other brothers for a discover scuba for his bday too. I'd love to one day do a dive with my husband and all my siblings, you guys got to live that for real :) Thanks for sharing the fun with all of us.

NitroWill
11-10-2007, 13:23
Just got the video up on YouTube! Check it out!

If you have an account on there don't hesitate to add me - Ill be adding some UW videos later this year!

YouTube - Disney Family Epcot Living Seas Dive (http://youtube.com/watch?v=DxiWoyPfZlQ)

Im going to try and get a little better quality video up too..

BuzzF117
11-10-2007, 13:36
It was a GREAT dive with the hubby JW, our daughter, and our honorary family member Will! :smiley36:

Playing with the kids (and adults) in the observation windows is fun, playing with the folks in the restaurant is fun, and getting up close and personal with the big grouper, turtles and the sharks was great, too. The staff is very accomodating there. Although I enjoyed the backstage portion, I could've happily spent that time diving instead. It just wasn't long enough. I can't wait to do it again.

Will - it was great to meet you, and we enjoyed sharing the diving and spending the evening hangin' out with you. Plus.... unless I'm mistaken.... I got to be your buddy for your first "back in the water" dive!! Hey, that's an honor for me!

If anybody gets an opportunity to dive with Will, he may be a 'kid' as DD47 put it, but he's intelligent, knows his diving, and is fun to dive with. He also could dive circles around about everyone else I saw at that dive. Looking forward to diving with him again. I'm guessing by the time I get to do that, he'll have his DM.

JW and daughter did GREAT! It was my first time to dive with our girl, and she is a natural. I'm thrilled that JW was ready to do it again the next day (although we didn't) - he did awesome. I'm proud of both of them!! I did have a tough time keeping track of both my buddy and my family... but I did - sort of.

If Will is an honoary member of your family do you get a tax deduction for im if so im gonna find some honorary family members....just kidding

BuzzF117
11-10-2007, 13:40
Ok I have a quick question. Did you do all your certification dives in fresh water? If so what was the transition like diving in salt water for the first time? I only ask this because my first salt water dive is going to be this winter in the carribean and was just wodnering if you noticed much of a difference.

thanks
Buzz

jwdizney
11-10-2007, 16:37
Ok I have a quick question. Did you do all your certification dives in fresh water? If so what was the transition like diving in salt water for the first time? I only ask this because my first salt water dive is going to be this winter in the carribean and was just wodnering if you noticed much of a difference.

thanks
Buzz

To say it was Different is an understatement!! we had not experienced vis above about 20', and being able to see the bottom from the surface was incredible! plus, it's not green everywhere... we loved it! you're gonna love the salt water trip, i can see how it would spoil you.. i'm jealous of divers like Will who have those waters just a short dive from home, but like Firediver said, if you can do the lakes, the rest is nothing but better!
have a great trip, Buzz!

NitroWill
11-10-2007, 17:06
i'm jealous of divers like Will who have those waters just a short dive from home

So when you moving here so you can get spoiled too?? :smiley2:

BuzzF117
11-10-2007, 17:56
i'm jealous of divers like Will who have those waters just a short dive from home

I'd rather dodge tornados and snow drifts then hurricans and gators any day. Florida it's a nice place to visit or send your Grand parents.

AAUY
11-10-2007, 18:21
Wow that looks so awesome!! I'd love to dive that some time!

Splitlip
11-10-2007, 21:47

thanks
Buzz

If you are talking difference in ballast....

Take your weight + weight of gear + weight of your tank empty, multiply this number by .025 and this will yield the amount weight you need to add for the salt-water conversion.

Splitlip
11-10-2007, 21:55

I'd rather dodge tornados and snow drifts then hurricans and gators any day. Florida it's a nice place to visit or send your Grand parents.
:smilie39:
Who you kidding?
I lived in Indiana for 4 years :smiley2:

jwdizney
11-11-2007, 08:52

at least with the hurricanes, you get some warning!.... besides, i'll probably be a grandparent soon enough, hope someone sends me to florida! i don't care too much for the heat/humidity in the summer, though... but, all the more reason to go diving, right? :smiley2:

mm2002
11-11-2007, 18:31
Very cool! I loved the video!