PDA

View Full Version : Best dive site in US?

Capt. Morgan
10-21-2007, 17:18
What is the best site in the continental US?

dludwig
10-21-2007, 17:27
Best site in Illinois, in my opinion, is Mermet Springs excluding the Great Lakes. Bull Shoals has a lot of cool spots :smiley20:

diversteve
10-21-2007, 17:30
The kelp forest in Southern California
Flower Gardens in the Gulf of Mexico
Pacific Northwest
Monterey Bay
Florida Keys
Wrecks off North Carolina

Depends what you define as "best".

Dive Master
10-22-2007, 08:47
As a "Tarheel" I gotta go with Morehead City, NC. The wrecks and sharks are amazing !!!!!

bversteegh
10-22-2007, 23:53
Pacific Northwest has some beautiful dives - but COLD and nasty currents to deal with.

js1scuba
10-23-2007, 01:12
Best Dive Site in USA.

The last dive you were just on.

The dive you are on tomorrow.

All dives are best dives. You will never be able to appreciate the "best" sites if you don't load up on some good ole fun dives.

Cheers

diverdan
10-23-2007, 10:40
I would have to agree with diversteve, The kelp beds are just a wonder to behold. There's nothing like diving in a forest.

MSilvia
10-23-2007, 12:01
Once it's been discussed openly, it won't be the best site anymore. ;)

BobArnold8265
10-23-2007, 12:17
I haven't been to all of the dive sites in the US but here are my favorites so far:

1. Texas Flower Gardens
2. Florida Keys
3. Wreck Diving off NC
4. Florida Springs (diving with the manatees)
5. San Solomon Springs (Texas)

fire diver
10-23-2007, 12:48

Are you wanting the best coastal, lake, spring, cave, inland sea, or what?

It's hard to compare one type of dive to another.

FD

Defman
10-23-2007, 13:00
I haven't been to all of the dive sites in the US but here are my favorites so far:

1. Texas Flower Gardens
2. Florida Keys

I haven't been to the Keys, but I have been to FG. Why would you rate FG over Keys?

I've considered a week long (or more) trip just working my way up/down the Keys. I'll be honest and say that I wasn't super impressed with FG, it was OK. The cattle-boat experience probably isn't helping and I probably wouldn't feel the same if I hadn't had to fight people off with a knife to get on the ladder, and a clingy buddy I didn't know :sex2:.

(OK, so the knife part is an exaggeration but you get my point)

divnhank
10-24-2007, 16:25
Pacific Northwest - it's been the most intereresting I've been on in the US. It's like a Dr. Suess book when you first drop down and you are in a forest of giant plumose anemone.

RJBriggs
10-24-2007, 18:35
I have not done a lot of dives but the Aircraft Carrier "Oriskany" off of Pensacola was really cool !!! Going to Morehead City this week-end for some wreck diving. I am pumped for that.

Ron

ian
10-24-2007, 19:07
The kelp forest in Southern California

The last dive you were just on.

I'll add my vote to the SoCal Kelp Forest. Some of my divemates take the mickey out of my b/c I sometimes hold my arms out like Superman and "flky" through the forest. Awesome!

Pacific Northwest - it's been the most intereresting I've been on in the US. It's like a Dr. Suess book when you first drop down and you are in a forest of giant plumose anemone.

I'm working toward getting a dry suit and trainning in its use b/c I want to dive in the Pacific Nortwest.

The other place I want to dive is Lake Tahoe!

Oh man...with all the fires and the smoke,,,I need to get wet...SOON!

terfmop
10-24-2007, 20:18
Best site in Illinois, in my opinion, is Mermet Springs excluding the Great Lakes. Bull Shoals has a lot of cool spots :smiley20:

I like Mermet for the various things sunk at the bottom, but Haigh wins hands down for having a very good number of freshwater fish that are also rather friendly. On my last dive out at Haigh (10/20/07) I saw quite a variety of fish for a quarry (smallmout.largemouth, bluegill, crappie, catfish, albino cat., spoonbills) They seemed to all be out trying to get some free food from the divers that day.