PDA

View Full Version : Lake Murray - Martins Landing

RoadRacer1978
10-21-2007, 20:12
Don't waste your time trying Martins Landing. I went diving at Murray today and Marietta Landing was really busy. I thought I'd try a somewhat less crowded area. I drove around the lake and found Martins Landing. It has a beach type entry with a designated swimming area. Upon entry I noticed it was very, very muddy. I sunk up to my ankle in mud as I tried t make my way out to deeper water. Got out a ways and slipped on my fins. Swam out to the edge of the swimming area and started submerging. As I went down I reached the bottom really quickly. Looked at the depth guage and I was a whole 10' down. Started swiming following the bottom away from the shore and noticed there was not much to see. Mostly is was mud or mud covered in something like grass. Didn't se a single fish or anything interesting at all. I swam for what seemed like forever and the deepest I could ever find was 15'. For diving this is not the place to go. Just wanted to let everyone know before they made the same mistake. Oh yeah and vis in that part was horrible as one might expect. About 3' before the swimmers stirred up the mud in the swiming area.

chace_nicole
10-21-2007, 21:15
Sorry it was such a sorry dive, but thanks for the heads up! At least you tried before our big cold front coming in tonight!

RoadRacer1978
10-22-2007, 06:29
Yeah, when I saw that the cold front was coming in on monday I knew sunday could be the last dive for a while, so I had to go. It wasn't a great dive, but I got to get wet and try a new place out. You never know until you try a place, but no need for others to try Martins Landing now.

Timeliner
10-22-2007, 19:24
Well... you can't hit the Jack Pot everytime can ya ?
You at least have what it takes not to just follow the herd.
You keep up that most positive of personality traits OK 'cause thats what makes a true Swamp Diver :smiley2:

fire diver
10-22-2007, 20:43
'cause thats what makes a true Swamp Diver :smiley2:

Ahem. :smiley5: He's an Okie, not a tejano. Find your own intrepid explorers. :smilie40:

FD

TxScubaBear
10-23-2007, 06:38
OK, so he's an "extended" Swamp Diver.....

chris
10-23-2007, 13:32
Is there anyplace that would be good snorkeling at Lake Murray? We live in Marietta and are planning to snorkel for the first time on a December cruise but would love to try it out before we go. I never even thought of people diving anywhere around here...

RoadRacer1978
10-23-2007, 17:42
Well... you can't hit the Jack Pot everytime can ya ?
You at least have what it takes not to just follow the herd.
You keep up that most positive of personality traits OK 'cause thats what makes a true Swamp Diver :smiley2:

Thanks for the encouragement. I do like getting off the beaten path. You never know what you'll find. Sometimes it's a dissapointment, but sometimes it's a gold mine. You never know until you try it.

Ahem. :smiley5: He's an Okie, not a tejano. Find your own intrepid explorers. :smilie40:

FD

I may not live in TX, but I can be part of the extended family. Can't I?

YellowfinKunkfish
10-24-2007, 06:08
Is there anyplace that would be good snorkeling at Lake Murray? We live in Marietta and are planning to snorkel for the first time on a December cruise but would love to try it out before we go. I never even thought of people diving anywhere around here...

Kory and I snorkel at Marietta landing with the kids. It's good for practice, but you can't really SEE anything. And I would watch diving down too close to shore, those big rocks really hurt when you run into them.:smiley5:

Rhonda

chris
10-24-2007, 08:44
Thanks Rhonda. I guess we won't be trying Lake Murray this fall then, unless it REALLY warms up. I thought for a while that maybe I was missing out on something in our own back yard. I'm not really into mud, pain and cold. :-)

Timeliner
10-24-2007, 20:29

FD

Lord... here we go again...

Semantics :smiley19: I should have called him a "Muck Diver"
I get confused sometimes. I live so close to the TX/OK border that people are used to me being just another old wet back swimming the river to play they're game. Some of my kids are OK. residents and I did get my SDI Cert. at Tenkiller so thats better then a green card. Besides ... the picture is real.
However... if you want to play that old game about who has the fewest teeth, the most toes and the sister that kisses the best well then I'm game.

Just where does she get those shoes made anyway ? :smiley5:

fire diver
10-24-2007, 21:13
Lord... here we go again...

However... if you want to play that old game about who has the fewest teeth, the most toes and the sister that kisses the best well then I'm game.

Just where does she get those shoes made anyway ? :smiley5:

I'll respectfully ceed the victory in that battle to you. I have been to Paris, TX. :smiley5:

Have you started stuffing bodies into your tunnel yet, or did the FBI, BP and DHS come and implode them?

FD

Splitlip
10-24-2007, 21:40
Edit:
I thought the title of the thread was MARTIANS landing.
Never mind.

Timeliner
10-25-2007, 07:50
I'll respectfully ceed the victory in that battle to you. I have been to Paris, TX. :smiley5:

Have you started stuffing bodies into your tunnel yet, or did the FBI, BP and DHS come and implode them?

FD

:smilie39:

Foo2
10-25-2007, 13:24
When are we taking a field trip to the tunnel? We need a big TSD reunion there.

cyclone
10-25-2007, 21:46
Don't waste your time trying Martins Landing. I went diving at Murray today and Marietta Landing was really busy. I thought I'd try a somewhat less crowded area. I drove around the lake and found Martins Landing. It has a beach type entry with a designated swimming area. Upon entry I noticed it was very, very muddy. I sunk up to my ankle in mud as I tried t make my way out to deeper water. Got out a ways and slipped on my fins. Swam out to the edge of the swimming area and started submerging. As I went down I reached the bottom really quickly. Looked at the depth guage and I was a whole 10' down. Started swiming following the bottom away from the shore and noticed there was not much to see. Mostly is was mud or mud covered in something like grass. Didn't se a single fish or anything interesting at all. I swam for what seemed like forever and the deepest I could ever find was 15'. For diving this is not the place to go. Just wanted to let everyone know before they made the same mistake. Oh yeah and vis in that part was horrible as one might expect. About 3' before the swimmers stirred up the mud in the swiming area.
Kewl, that is a good info.:smiley20: That is why I am going to Balmorhea instead. 25' deep 80' viz.:smiley2::smiley20:

foo
10-29-2007, 22:12

Ima thinking that most of these Okies prolly are Swamp Divers at heart. :smiley31: