PDA

View Full Version : anyone use this SMB??

LiteHedded
10-22-2007, 09:41
looking for an SMB I can deploy from depth.
anyone have experience with the one ST is selling?
the price is right
pros? cons?

Large Safety Stop Signal with Dump Valve , Accessories-Signaling Devices, ScubaToys, Large Safety Stop Signal with Dump Valve (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=LargeSafety)

RoadRacer1978
10-22-2007, 09:58
That is the one I am looking at getting as well. Seems like a great price and just what I am looking for.

LiteHedded
10-22-2007, 10:03
That is the one I am looking at getting as well. Seems like a great price and just what I am looking for.
me too
just wondering about the quality. what makes it different from other "name" smb's with similar features and ridiculous prices?

RoadRacer1978
10-22-2007, 10:09
I have been wondering what the difference between these two is. Is it just the $89 one has a sealled bottom? Doesn't say anything about an overpressure valve. I think I could manage and figure out a way to seal it myself for $50 difference.

Large Safety Stop Signal with Dump Valve , Accessories-Signaling Devices, ScubaToys, Large Safety Stop Signal with Dump Valve (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=LargeSafety)

Signal Marker Buoy - Large Self Sealing, Accessories: Signaling, ScubaToys, Signal Marker Buoy - Large Self Sealing (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=SelfSealingSafetyTube)

Will a dump valve act as an overpressure valve is the SMB is sealed?

LiteHedded
10-22-2007, 10:26
hmm
the cheaper one is just open on the bottom? then why have an over-pressure/dump valve at all?

RoadRacer1978
10-22-2007, 10:29
The expensive one says it is sealed at the bottom and does not say it has an over pressure valve. Just wondering if you wanted a sealed one if you could seal the bottom of the cheap one and save $50.00.

LiteHedded
10-22-2007, 10:47
just called ST
they tell me the $40 one has a totally open bottom. this makes the dump valve totally useless.
the other one has one of those one way baffles so you can fill it with an octo and the air won't escape.
putting a dump valve on a bag with an open bottom seems stupid to me...

ScubaToys Larry
10-22-2007, 11:35
just called ST
they tell me the $40 one has a totally open bottom. this makes the dump valve totally useless.
the other one has one of those one way baffles so you can fill it with an octo and the air won't escape.

Well... not so much... Let's suppose you are using it as a lift bag, and going up with the item. It's nice to be able to dump some air as you are going up to keep things neutral. It's the same reason the put a dump valve on open bottom lift bags... it's just in case you want to use it for that purpose.

Hollywood703
10-22-2007, 11:46
for example.......if you have an open bottom SMB inflated as a lift bag and you lose it for some reason, it goes to the surface, tips on its side and loses enough air to sink again (dropping object on you quickly)......
I'd rather have it so it can quickly release air so i dont lose it, or be sealed so i can find it on the surface (with over inflation valve).

RoadRacer1978
10-22-2007, 12:54
Thats why I am wondering if the dump valve will act as an overpressure valve. If so I'd just buy the $39 one and find a way to seal the bottom and save $50. If the valve will not work for the over pressure then I might have to rethink things a bit.

BSea
10-22-2007, 13:05
Thats why I am wondering if the dump valve will act as an overpressure valve. If so I'd just buy the $39 one and find a way to seal the bottom and save $50. If the valve will not work for the over pressure then I might have to rethink things a bit.
Maybe I don't understand what you are saying, but I don't see how you could seal the bottom and still have it function at depth. There are inexpensive SMB's thay you inflate at the surface, but they don't do what the same job. If you could add the baffle like the more expensive version, then you might have something. I'm sure someone with the right sewing skills could do what something like that.

RoadRacer1978
10-22-2007, 13:11
I guess the baffle is what I am missing. Didn't see it in the picture and I was totally not thinking about how to inflate it.:bonk:

LiteHedded
10-22-2007, 14:55
just called ST

Well... not so much... Let's suppose you are using it as a lift bag, and going up with the item. It's nice to be able to dump some air as you are going up to keep things neutral. It's the same reason the put a dump valve on open bottom lift bags... it's just in case you want to use it for that purpose.

oh ok
I won't be using it for lift. I'm looking for an SMB to shoot from depth to mark my position in the water.

Doghouse
10-23-2007, 14:14
Lite:

If you are just going to shoot it, go with the sealed one. That way if you lose tension, it will not tip over and dump air.

That being said, Any reasonable amount of weight will keep it upright. It works well as lift bag, I have had fun with it a couple of times. The dump valve is handy to surface with your bag so you can dump air as you ascend. That way you control your speed, and a little kick gets you going back up again.

CompuDude
10-23-2007, 14:48
I have one. Works fine, but be sure to practice with it in a safe place. That sucker has a lot of lift, and it takes practice to fill it more than 1/3 full without getting hauled up the surface.

I generally use a smaller one (Deep Sea Supply and Halcyon both make superb 33-40" ones that are a LOT easier to shoot) unless I really need the larger size.

Boris42
10-27-2007, 08:38
Here's what I just picked up yesterday from a LDS that's going out of business. Got them for half price, $35.00 each.

http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-117/032978/XS-Scuba-Surface-Marker-Buoy.SMB.html

From what I'm reading here these should work well for us. We really just wanted SMB's but it looks like they work well as lift bags as well. What do you think?

RoadRacer1978
10-27-2007, 09:15
From what I read it can be used as a lift bag and has 50 lbs of lift. Sould work for both purposes.

blue37
10-27-2007, 10:37
Great posts... I have it on my wish list as well.

Boris42
10-27-2007, 16:56
Ok, I'm a newbie. What's the best way to secure an item you want to attach to the lift bag? I imagine a net bag with a hook that attaches to the bottom D-ring on the bag but really have no idea. What course would teach this?

Puffer Fish
10-27-2007, 18:56
Ok, I'm a newbie. What's the best way to secure an item you want to attach to the lift bag? I imagine a net bag with a hook that attaches to the bottom D-ring on the bag but really have no idea. What course would teach this?

This whole issue has me rather confused (well except for this question, which you have correct).

If a lift bag has an open bottom, and a dump valve, the dump valve would be at or near the top.

If the valve is at the bottom, they (everyone one I have seen) has a "duck bill" valve and the large dump valve is also the over pressure valve.

While sending one from depth is easier with two people, and having a reel, I do it all the time myself. Using it as a lift bag is the same.

1. Attach the line to the metal ring (or if it does not have a ring on the nylon strap, the nylon strap.

2. Make sure the reel is out, and in someone's hand (if using a finger spool, make sure it is ready to unwind), and the line is clear.

3. Push the SMB up over your head level, and pull down the fill end (this puts the SMB ready to get air).

4. Make sure you are negative.

4. Stick you octo or primary (if being helped I use my primary, if doing it alone, I use my octo).

5. Put the reg inside the opening, fold the fabric around the reg ( the SMB should be uprite, but empty) so that air cannot get out.

6. Exhale and push down the purge... wait around 2 seconds and let go of SMB (ok, 1.5 seconds).

7. Trigger the line release and off the guy will go.

8. Get neutral and enjoy.

Only difference with a lift bag is that you can add the air slower and vent as it goes up if you want to.

Note: That moment when you release and the bag shoots off is very dangerous if the line is not clear, or the spool does not work.

Having done it a few hundred times, it takes around 30 seconds from start to watching it zoom to the surface. Oh, and very early on, I did it wrong one time...don't do it wrong.

kingfish
10-27-2007, 21:42
Thanks for the lesson Puffer fish.:smiley20:
If you are using a finger spool do you just let it go and unwind by its-self when the smb shoots to the surface?

Jas.