PDA

View Full Version : Lemonade Diet/Fast

caroln
10-22-2007, 10:26
Has anyone done the Lemonade diet/fast. I beleive it's called the master cleanse. It's basically lemon juice, cayenne pepper, and water mixed together and that's all you consume while you're on the program. It doesn't seem like something you could do long term, but it sounds like it could be a good jump start. So has anyone done it? How did you find it? Were you able to function normally at work etc while you were on it?

RoadRacer1978
10-22-2007, 10:30
doesn't sound like my kind of diet :smiley11:

TRACI
10-22-2007, 10:38
I have done it, it is not a long term diet, I did it for only 4 days, some people I know have done it longer, actually I had alot of energy while I was on it and I never felt hungry. Your drink the lemonade anytime you want, you can google lemonade diet, and get the receipe. I lost 7 lbs in 3 days.

PepeDiver
10-22-2007, 11:02
I couldn't imagine having only lemondade for more than a couple hours! I gotta have my carbs and calories!

sudnit5
10-22-2007, 11:06
I agreewith PepeDiver...gotta have food:banana:

CC1020
10-22-2007, 11:13
I've done it, and it works quite well. The first couple of days were rather challenging, but by the third day, I started feeling good and having energy again. Stuck with it for about a week, and lost about 11 pounds.

PepeDiver
10-22-2007, 11:21
i guess if I needed to lose any weight I MIGHT give it a try...but I love to eat too much. Yesterday for example: Breakfast omlet, bacon and toast. Lunch, a couple of frozen burritos. Dinner BBQ Pork Chop, Stuffin, Some veggies. BIG bowl of ice cream and a couple of pretzles with cheese later in the night! I don't think I can go from that to no food.

datamunk
10-22-2007, 11:29
hmm, interesting. does it give u the runs or somethin to help u lose weight? :P

PepeDiver
10-22-2007, 11:33
haha naw i've eaten like that most of my life so my body is used to processed junk

Tableleg
10-22-2007, 11:38
The Master Cleanser Diet, or as popularly known; The Lemonade Diet was created by the late Naturopath Stanley Burroughs. The Diet consists of fasting to rid the body of toxins, created by improper diet, lack of exercise and negative mental attitudes. The purpose of the Lemonade Diet is to dissolve and eliminate toxins and congestion; to cleanse the kidneys and digestive system; to purify glands; to eliminate waste and hardened materials in the joints and muscles; to build a healthy bloodstream; to maintain optimal blood pressure; and to what you all are waiting to hear... to lose weight. As a reducing diet it is superior in every way, reducing fat at a rate of about two (2) pounds a day for most persons, without harmful side effects. Ok. Let's start out with some definitions according to our good friends over at Merriam-Webster (http://m-w.com):

Diet (noun): 1 a: food and drink regularly provided or consumed

Fasting (Verb):1 : to abstain from food; 2 : to eat sparingly or abstain from some foods

A diet is simply what a person eats. A low calorie diet aids in weight loss. A high calorie diet (which is what most Americans eat) aids in weight gain. When one 'fasts,' they don't eat. So this Lemonade 'Diet' is simply a way to reduce the food intake that one does. It's not meant as a weight loss 'diet', but simply a fast to promote a 'detox'.

With that being said, all the effects (the detox, lower blood pressure, etc) that the website mention, I can do by eating lean meats, dark leafy stuff, etc, (or in other words having a proper 'diet') and getting plenty of exercise and sleep. This 'diet' and lifestyle has caused me to lose about 40lbs in the past year. :smiley20:

I was initially concerned at the lack of vitamins and other essential stuff your body needs on a daily basis when I first read that description and the absurdity of lemon juice and cayenne having magical health properties, so I did some research (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_Cleanse) and am happy to announce that I'm not crazy... :smiley36:

Some critics point to "an alarming lack" of essential nutrients in this fast, citing a deficiency of protein, vitamins, and minerals.
As a result of these deficiencies, individuals on the diet may experience dizziness, delirium, and fainting in the short term, with possible damage to the body occurring in longer-term applications. So yea, 'no harmful side effects'? :smiley11:

And as far as FAT loss goes, I don't see that happening with this diet. A humans primary source of energy comes from the carbohydrates we eat because they're the easiest for the body to break down into fuel. Protein and fat can also be used, but it's more difficult for the body to process those. So with this diet being very carbohydrate rich, I don't see why the body would use up it's stored energy (aka fat) when there's such an abundance being consumed.

So using this as a 'weight loss' diet is absurd. I can't imagine what the body would be losing to be 2lbs lighter every day. Whatever it is, I'm sure it's not good. :smiley5:

:smilie40:

PepeDiver
10-22-2007, 11:47
That makes sense. Lack of food = lack of nutrients = BAD! My wife wanted to drop a lot of weight after our second leech..err child...was born. So we really changed our diet. Or at least the dinner meal when she is home. Started using turkey instead of beef. Even use turkey bacon now. Added more veggies. Really cut back on the fat content of the meals. And she goes to the gym/runs every day. She's lost somewhere in the neighborhood of 30lbs since he was born.

mitsuguy
10-22-2007, 11:49
my problem with doing it was the fact that I love to eat, the taste of food...

its hard to do without... I did it for the recommended 10 days and, wow... I felt much better afterwards and generally more energy...

I'll probably do it again sometime this coming year...

edit: I didn't do it to lose weight, I did it to clean out my system...

datamunk
10-22-2007, 12:27
Well, a healthier detox system similar to that, is to just drink juice from natural fruits. Get a juicer, and just juice a LOT of veggies and fruits for your meals, no solids.

This gets ALL the nutrients, minus the fiber. This is great for a week or so because your body doesnt get all the fibers of the food, meaning, all the nutrients from the meats (of the fruits and veggies) can be mostly absorbed in the stomach vs. small intestine, instead of having to break down the actual mass of the fruit.

The act of juicing also helps release all the fruit enzymes and goodness, just as chewing does just not as well.

You should maybe do THAT rather than a lemonade and pepper diet.

But yeah, you need protein in the form of a shake or food because your body WILL burn fat, but it will also burn up muscle mass as well, simply just from exercising.

Dieting doesnt have to be hard. I cut out all my sodas and sweets and crap, and tried to eat less fast food etc, and I dropped 30# in one semester of school. Now that that is done, I am now working out and eating a much healthier way.

Lots of chicken, fish, shrimp, etc. Cooked well with EVOO and decent seasoning, lots of celery to fill up on, etc. I am doin a diet most people cant cuz I cut a lot of great things.

Anyway, its going really well, and I am exercising a lot and dropping weight.

Fad diets are normally BAD DIETS

caroln
10-22-2007, 12:47
Wow lots of food for thought here (no pun intended), thank you guys. I like the idea of detoxing. We eat a horrible diet--not that it's a lot of junk food, but everything we eat is processed, mostly because we both are out of the house 14 hours a day, and don't have the energy to cook from scratch when we get home. I have really bad stomach issues, and I'm convinced it's all the processed crap because when we go to Mexico and everything I'm eating is fresh, I feel awesome. I was thinking the master cleanse would be good to do once a month or so just to flush out all the garbage that surely accumulates in your system from all the processed food, but I'm going to do some research on the juicing instead.

mitsuguy
10-22-2007, 12:54
Wow lots of food for thought here (no pun intended), thank you guys. I like the idea of detoxing. We eat a horrible diet--not that it's a lot of junk food, but everything we eat is processed, mostly because we both are out of the house 14 hours a day, and don't have the energy to cook from scratch when we get home. I have really bad stomach issues, and I'm convinced it's all the processed crap because when we go to Mexico and everything I'm eating is fresh, I feel awesome. I was thinking the master cleanse would be good to do once a month or so just to flush out all the garbage that surely accumulates in your system from all the processed food, but I'm going to do some research on the juicing instead.

although I've done the complete thing, I've also done a couple weekend only gigs... basically, the same thing as the start of the master cleanse, just only doing it for 3 days... day 1 - lemonade drink, herbal tea and cleanser, day 2 lemonade drink, herbal tea and cleanser, day 3 - saltwater flush in the morning, lemonade drink, herbal tea and cleanser, day 4 - saltwater flush in the morning, then eat a light lunch, light dinner, day 5 - back to normal...

I felt this did just as good a job as the 10 day ordeal and was a lot easier to do...

Tableleg
10-22-2007, 13:41
don't have the energy to cook from scratch when we get home. ... when we go to Mexico and everything I'm eating is fresh, I feel awesome. I feel your pain. I've tried the once a month cooking (http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/work_at_home_parents/7645) thing a few times and it's work out really well. And I'll probably start doing it again once I move into my new place (I hate moving.... :smiley19:) Might be something for you guys to look into.

Datamunk's got it right though. If you're going to do a liquid anything, :getting fresh fruit/vegetables and a juicer is the best way to do it. :smiley20:

And did he mutter then dirty 'E' word!?!:smiley5::smiley36:

And as far as the feeling good in Mexico, I'm guessing this is a vacation. Does that mean you're getting more sleep than usual (aka you don't have to wake up to blaring alarm clocks to get to work)? Does this mean you are walking around to see things and generally being more active than ususal? I'm sure eating the better things plays a part in it, but I'd blame the good feelings on more treating your body right (sleep/exercise) than the food. I know I feel super great the next day after a good workout and a decent nights sleep. 14 hour days suck, but see about you and your husband maybe going for a 30 min. walk after you both get home before dinner, then go to bed early so that you get more sleep than ususal and see if you don't get that feeling-great feelings. :smiley2:

caroln
10-22-2007, 17:34
And as far as the feeling good in Mexico, I'm guessing this is a vacation. Does that mean you're getting more sleep than usual (aka you don't have to wake up to blaring alarm clocks to get to work)? Does this mean you are walking around to see things and generally being more active than ususal? I'm sure eating the better things plays a part in it, but I'd blame the good feelings on more treating your body right (sleep/exercise) than the food.

The feeling good I meant was that my stomach isn't in knots all the time and I don't have to mainline tums and rolaids on top of acid reflux and IBS meds to get through the day :) Actually on vacation I don't need anything. Part of it is definitely the sleep/being out in daylight more, although we do go to the gym 5 times a week at home.

datamunk
10-22-2007, 17:49
Colon Cleansing, Constipation, IBS, Colonix, Cleanse, Detox – Online Resource (http://www.drnatura.com) is a great colon cleansing program i used. you should do it for a few months (a month is around ~$80 i think).

now, the biggest argument people has with these types of programs are "it kills all the bacteria in your stomach that you need"

well, yes, yes it does. HOWEVER, part of the program also reflourishes those exact bacteria so you still have them.

but, it gets rid of all the built up gunk in your intestines and colon, be warned, in the AM you poop ... a lot.

but im a typical guy and i love bowel movements, so i really enjoyed the program.

i feel better too, but yea. im goin to do the whole fresh juice diet for a week or so and start my 2nd month on the proram.

its easy, 4 pills in the am, wait 15 minutes, mix the powder with some OJ, can eat 5 minutes after. at night before bed you steep some tea (thats what makes ya poo, so i refer to it as poop tea!)

so yea, that can help if you have stomach issues. i used to have a lot of IBS but since Ive done it,ive been much better.

franksrq
10-22-2007, 19:30
all of these things sound like terrible ideas. if you lose more than 1-3 pounds a week, your body freaks out and reacts in the same way as it would if you were actually starving.
i think a more healthful diet and more exercise is a more permanent and comfortable way to lose weight and feel better than drinking some crazy liquids that make you squirt your way to a slimmer waist line. taking all of those #2's leaves little time for diving and makes your butt raw.

Anne Eastwell
10-22-2007, 20:30

Nope, when I did it I just found I wasn't hungry and you drink water in between so you pee a lot. We call it the Lemon Detox diet in Australia.

chace_nicole
10-22-2007, 21:05
I used things like this in the past, but I always gained it back once I started eating like a normal person again. By that I don't mean I didn't watch what I ate, but that we are meant to eat a balanced diet. Agree with the above poster that the best, not easiest nor fastest way is a balanced diet & also exercise.

kyfriedchipper
10-23-2007, 01:35
maybe good to "cleanse" yourseld - but not a good idea to lose weight as your body is just consuming its own muscle (because its easier to break down than fat) while you're in starvation mode

DZorn00
10-24-2007, 13:02
The Lemon Cleanse is exactly that a Cleanse or DETOX of your Bowel system. That is what it was designed and created for. However, the Clebertiyt syndrome set in and it became a "DIET" Beyonce, Cathrine Zeta, and a few other Celebs started using it to quickly get into "movie star" shape for movies and awards. That is how it became so well known and such a popular "diet". But remember they have the money and means to take care of any issues that may or may not arrise from it. Other than that it is a good thing for those always on the go and eating out. Do it for four or five days and you will definately notice the difference in your step. (much lighter) It is amazing how much "crap" is in your bowel system just weighing you down.

caroln
10-25-2007, 12:48
Colon Cleansing, Constipation, IBS, Colonix, Cleanse, Detox – Online Resource (http://www.drnatura.com) is a great colon cleansing program i used. you should do it for a few months (a month is around ~$80 i think).

Some of the pictures on that site are horrific. I am going to order this though. From your results, this is exactly what I want.

Tableleg
10-26-2007, 08:29
If you experience one or more of the following, then it's time to detoxify:
Frequent fatigue and low energy
Flatulence, gas & bloating
Excess weight
Food allergies
Impaired digestion
Irritability, mood swings
Bad breath & foul-smelling stools
Parasites in stool
Frequent colds
Recurring headaches
Chronic constipation
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
Protruding belly ("pooch")
Powerful food cravings
Skin problems, rashes, etc.
Metallic taste in mouth
Hemorrhoids
Candida infection :smiley5: Holy crap! Me and everyone I know have one or more of those symptoms!!!! :smiley36:

I bet this Dr. Johnstone is making a fortune off really expensive forums of fiber. That's all this stuff really is: a healthy diet with whole grain options instead of 'enriched bleached' versions and plenty of fruits and vegatibles would do the same thing. :smiley2:

cyclone
10-26-2007, 16:38
Has anyone done the Lemonade diet/fast. I beleive it's called the master cleanse. It's basically lemon juice, cayenne pepper, and water mixed together and that's all you consume while you're on the program. It doesn't seem like something you could do long term, but it sounds like it could be a good jump start. So has anyone done it? How did you find it? Were you able to function normally at work etc while you were on it?
Yep, I got hooked with dieat tea. It did worked.

emcbride81
10-26-2007, 17:33
I did it for two weeks and felt great! More energy, no bloated or nasty "blech" feelings. I lost weight quickly, and you can expect that if you do it for 2 weeks or more you will put back on 50 percent of the lost weight back on as water weight when you come off, no matter what you do. If you are on it for less, you will most likely put it all back on.

I didn't do the salt water chug tho...I gag thinking about it :( The first three days were the worst, but after that it is a breeze. I have done it 4 times. Twice for a week, once for 11 days and once for two weeks. The best part about this diet is you are in fact NOT starving your body...you are still consuming around 900-1200 calories a day depending on the amout, it is just in liquid form not solid food. I was up around 1200. Your body will not revert to the starvation reflex.

dludwig
10-26-2007, 21:21
:smiley11:

abunai671
11-02-2007, 17:49
my friend was on it for 13 days and i barely recognized her. its more of a means to detox your body than a diet id say because you eventually gain it back. i think i might give it a shot.

lovesmexico615
11-02-2007, 18:09
I've been thinking about trying this as well. Having a hard time finding a chunk of 10 days to do it though. I'm going to try though!

Silverlode
11-19-2007, 05:38

Nope, when I did it I just found I wasn't hungry and you drink water in between so you pee a lot. We call it the Lemon Detox diet in Australia.

Never heard of it till now. Did you read the book and follow the instructions in the book, or is there a safe way to do it without having to buy the book

rach
11-20-2007, 06:58
hmmm...interesting...i hadn't heard of this either....

i don't have lemonade where i am, but i might try with all fresh fruit juice and tea...

mitsuguy
11-20-2007, 09:03
hmmm...interesting...i hadn't heard of this either....

i don't have lemonade where i am, but i might try with all fresh fruit juice and tea...

it's not so much lemonade as it is lemon juice and water... :)