PDA

View Full Version : O-ring replacement on Battery change?

Carlitoboy
10-22-2007, 12:39
I just got a new Oceanic Veo 250. Great DC. I played with it for about 2 hours, tested the backlight for no more than 60 seconds since recieving it. Only dove with it twice and the battery icon is already flashing for a change. The battery included in the DC by Oceanic was probably a dud. But anyway, no big deal. I can change the battery myself, but I want to know if you can keep the existing o-ring since it's practically new. I just wanted to get opinions out there about not changing o-rings on battery changes. If there is no damage to the exisiting o-ring, would it hurt to just relube it and reuse it? I haven't read anything about impacting Manufacturer warranty if you don't, but then again how would they know... warranty is voided I believe if you do not use an O-ring specifically manufactured by Oceanic. That's about it...

Thoughts?

RoadRacer1978
10-22-2007, 13:34
If the o-ring is in new condition and you are careful with it, there shouls be no problem reusing it. I do not change o-rings on my light evertime I change the batteries. I simply inspect, clean and lubricate them. I only change them when they need it. I see no reason why you must change the o-ring, but that is a big investment to risk not changing an inxpensive o-ring. Might be worth changing just for peace of mind. My light is an old halogen one, I'f I had an expensive HID I'd probably change the o-ring much more often.

tbuckalew
10-22-2007, 14:45
I only change my o-rings when they show any sign of wear. That has been few and far between!

BobbyWombat
10-22-2007, 15:52
If you are in a clinch, sure...check the O-ring and if it looks OK just re-use it. And perhaps for your specific situation, this is OK.

But, an O-ring really isn't that expensive. It's cheap insurance in my opinion. Generally speaking my suggestion would be to replace it every time you replace the battery.

awap
10-22-2007, 16:46
I'm always a little hesitant to replace an o-ring that has proven itself to work and looks good on inspection, with a new, unknown o-ring. If you do, make sure to inspect the new o-ring carefully.

A failure of an o-ring in your regulator means a leak and a missed, aborted or shortened dive. A failure of a computer battery o-ring (or camera o-ring) means a couple hundred dollars in the trash can.

Jipps
10-24-2007, 10:31
if your computer is really that new, you should be ok w/ using the same o-ring, but i agree w/ everyone else. You can get an oceanic battery kit (battery, oring, grease) for about $15 or so, id say its definately worth it..hey, u might even get oceanic to send it to you free since they sent u a dud in the first place.