PDA

View Full Version : XS Scuba pockets vs. weight belt with BP/W

auburntiger1976
10-22-2007, 15:59
I know that the pro's and cons have been discussed before, but I was wondering (for those of you that use backplates/wings), do you prefer a weight belt or XS scuba pockets? I will only need 2 to 4 pounds, so I was thinking of buying the pockets to attach to my cam bands -- I've heard that too much weight in the pockets attached to the waist harness can affect trim.

Does a weight belt get in the way of the harness? Thanks.

BobbyWombat
10-22-2007, 16:17
I don't have a ton of experience with a BP/W, but I have been diving a couple times with one.

If I understand correctly, you are asking if you should have your weights on a belt vs. placing them on the cam bands? I might be misunderstanding your intent, so you may have to clarify.

That said, I think you should at least have the weight belt. Yes, it can help trim to move some of your weights up on the cam bands. But I don't think you want to move it all there, since you really want to be able to dump enough weight to get buoyant in an emergency.

When I dove with a BP/W and a weight belt, I didn't have any trouble with it getting in the way. You just want to be sure that you put the weight belt on last.

-BW

awap
10-22-2007, 16:24
Even though I often only use 1 or 2 lb, I use a zippered pocket belt. That way I can shift the weight (entire belt) to counter any rotational movement caused by a slug pony or a goody bag. I also use the back pockets to store things like a buddy line.

If you do add pockets to the harness waist straps, you will need to do something to keep the pocket from sliding off (even if it seems snug - old lesson).

Attaching those weight pockets to cam bands can be a bit challenging. I just put a pair on my wife's transpac. She uses just enough weight in those pockets to counter thge bouyancy of an S80 and take 4 to 6 lb off her belt. Placing all your weight up that hiogh may upset trim. Each strap on the XS Scuba pocket is almost 5 inches long. That may make it difficult to use them with a cam strap. You may have to remove the velcro patch and just slide the tag end of the strap into the pocket loop. I use older style Scubapro straps (or current Diverite equivalent) which avoids the velcro problem. But then it is quite a chore to adjust the tank strap if you ever use different diameter tanks. The pocket has to be removed (it will slide over the D-ring) and reinstalled which is not easy.

auburntiger1976
10-22-2007, 16:44
I don't have a ton of experience with a BP/W, but I have been diving a couple times with one.

If I understand correctly, you are asking if you should have your weights on a belt vs. placing them on the cam bands? I might be misunderstanding your intent, so you may have to clarify.

That said, I think you should at least have the weight belt. Yes, it can help trim to move some of your weights up on the cam bands. But I don't think you want to move it all there, since you really want to be able to dump enough weight to get buoyant in an emergency.

When I dove with a BP/W and a weight belt, I didn't have any trouble with it getting in the way. You just want to be sure that you put the weight belt on last.

-BW

Exactly. I am wondering if I should put the weights on a belt or in pockets attached to the cam straps. Like I said, I only need 2 to 4 pounds...so that is why I was leaning toward the pockets. I've heard everything from .... attaching pockets to the waist harness is bad because the pockets shift unless you use a keeper or two...to attaching pockets to waist harness can stress the webbing causing it to weaken (which I find hard to believe). I read somewhere that if you attach the pockets to the cam straps...you want to reverse the straps so that, if the pockets slide, one will slide to one side and the other to the opposite side, which balances everything.

auburntiger1976
10-22-2007, 16:47
Even though I often only use 1 or 2 lb, I use a zippered pocket belt. That way I can shift the weight (entire belt) to counter any rotational movement caused by a slug pony or a goody bag. I also use the back pockets to store things like a buddy line.

If you do add pockets to the harness waist straps, you will need to do something to keep the pocket from sliding off (even if it seems snug - old lesson).

Attaching those weight pockets to cam bands can be a bit challenging. I just put a pair on my wife's transpac. She uses just enough weight in those pockets to counter thge bouyancy of an S80 and take 4 to 6 lb off her belt. Placing all your weight up that hiogh may upset trim. Each strap on the XS Scuba pocket is almost 5 inches long. That may make it difficult to use them with a cam strap. You may have to remove the velcro patch and just slide the tag end of the strap into the pocket loop. I use older style Scubapro straps (or current Diverite equivalent) which avoids the velcro problem. But then it is quite a chore to adjust the tank strap if you ever use different diameter tanks. The pocket has to be removed (it will slide over the D-ring) and reinstalled which is not easy.

Thanks. That makes sense. If I go with a weight belt, I'll probably buy a traditional belt (piece of harness and slide hard weights on it) only because the pocket belts (like the XS Scuba belt) look bulky with all of the pockets attached to it.

CompuDude
10-22-2007, 17:11
If you really only need 2-4 pounds, feel free to thread the weight pockets (or just the bare weights, for that matter) onto your waist straps. It's not going to make that much difference. And if you're worried about ditchability, weights can easily be yanked out if you need to. If the weights are on your cam bands, you can't ditch them. I'd say only put them there if you need the weight higher to assist with trim issues... if you don't need the weight higher, keep it more accessible.

Personally, I use the 6-pocket XS Scuba weight belt with my bp/w. Thick drysuits and wetsuits means a significant amount of weight even with a bp/w, and while I don't need all 6 pockets, having 3 on each side lets me fine tune where I want the weight. Great way to handle it, IMO. VERY convenient when I'm switching weights for various gear combinations (including when I'm NOT diving a bp/w).

http://kalani.net/scuba/divegear/xsscubapocketbelt-blue.jpg

NOT bulky. And VERY comfortable... far more than any other weight belt I've ever owned.

auburntiger1976
10-22-2007, 17:20
If you really only need 2-4 pounds, feel free to thread the weight pockets (or just the bare weights, for that matter) onto your waist straps. It's not going to make that much difference. And if you're worried about ditchability, weights can easily be yanked out if you need to. If the weights are on your cam bands, you can't ditch them. I'd say only put them there if you need the weight higher to assist with trim issues... if you don't need the weight higher, keep it more accessible.

Personally, I use the 6-pocket XS Scuba weight belt with my bp/w. Thick drysuits and wetsuits means a significant amount of weight even with a bp/w, and while I don't need all 6 pockets, having 3 on each side lets me fine tune where I want the weight. Great way to handle it, IMO. VERY convenient when I'm switching weights for various gear combinations (including when I'm NOT diving a bp/w).

NOT bulky. And VERY comfortable... far more than any other weight belt I've ever owned.

Thanks. So, the pockets do not interfere with the D ring on the left hip or can light, etc..? Just trying to picture this on me.

awap
10-22-2007, 17:29
I believe there is velcro on the inside of the belt (just like the seperate pockets. This allows the closure flap to be wrapped tightly and attach on the back of the belt reducing bulk.

CompuDude
10-22-2007, 18:06
Thanks. So, the pockets do not interfere with the D ring on the left hip or can light, etc..? Just trying to picture this on me.

Not really. Definitely not the left d-ring.

That said, like I said I don't use all of the pockets. I leave the middle one empty and folded, tucked in flat like awap refers to. The canister goes right though the middle with one on each side, no problem.

In weight configurations where I actually have something in that middle pouch, however, it still hasn't been an issue. And even if it was (it's not), it wouldn't be any worse than a regular weight belt... but it's a whole lot easer to move things around.

BobbyWombat
10-22-2007, 18:09

I've tried the threaded belts, a neoprene pocket belt, and now have the 6 pocket XS belt shown above. Prefer the XS belt by far. I haven't found it to be bulky at at all and agree w/ CompuDude's input.