PDA

View Full Version : Wearing snorkels

mm2002
10-22-2007, 18:09
Probably a stupid question, and one we're too embarrassed to ask our LDS :smiley2:, but on our last couple of dives we left the snorkels at home. They are a pain in the butt, and always in the way. So the question is, do you have to wear them? I can understand circumstances where they are needed, but we're talking average 30 ft shore dives here. We both hate having those things dangling around and getting in the way, but we also understand we may be sacrificing safety by leaving them behind. What about the fold-up ones you can put in the BC pocket? Every time I go for the BC inflater, the damn snorkel is in the way. Advice, opinions?

tremtech
10-22-2007, 18:23
The best advice is to dive what you are comfortable with. Personaly my snorkle stay's in the bag unless I am just snorkeling for lobster or scallops, I hate it , and I dive 20 or 30 miles off shore in the Gulf and have never regreted leaving it on the boat.

FishFood
10-22-2007, 18:25
Youll never regret having it untill you need it, unfourtunalty. Dont get too comfortable not having it. Anytime theres any kind of surf (virtually any shore dive) or swells i have mine.

A folkd up snorkel is an excellent compromise between safety and comfort.

tremtech
10-22-2007, 18:26
Notice my photo ,snorkel is in the bag. some times i use it to scare my dog (he hates it)

chace_nicole
10-22-2007, 18:30
I use a fold away. I like it because its out of the way but I still have it incase I were to ever need it at the surface say if I was OOA...hopefully that never happens. Only negative is it is harder to clear than the regular ones but hopefully I'll never need it.

jwdizney
10-22-2007, 18:36
Youll never regret having it untill you need it, unfourtunalty. Dont get too comfortable not having it. Anytime theres any kind of surf (virtually any shore dive) or swells i have mine.

A folkd up snorkel is an excellent compromise between safety and comfort.

I agree with FishFood. there's a lot of redundancy for safety in diving (and i'm all about safety!). if you're uncomfortable with the snorkel (who isn't?).. then a fold up in your BC pocket might be the answer. maybe even a regular snorkel bungeed to your harness.

IMO, blow an o-ring on you tank in choppy waters and you'll appreciate a breathing tube, even on a shore dive...:smiley_scuba:

awap
10-22-2007, 21:18
I look upon a snorkel as a piece of safety equipment for offshore diving. Mine is stored between my back plate and my wing.

danielh03
10-23-2007, 02:53
I despise wearing one, but IF I expect rough conditions (rare in a quarry!) I will suffer and wear mine.

nathanbarlow
10-23-2007, 05:28
"blow an o-ring on you tank"

solution for that - use DIN not yoke!!

redneckdiver52
10-23-2007, 07:38
I feel as a more senior diver I have a responsibility to set the example for junior divers. I wear mine all the time. Yes it is a pain sometimes, but those junior divers follow your example. Better to show good practices.:smiley2:

RoadRacer1978
10-23-2007, 07:48
When I took my AOW course I noticed my snorkel was constantly in the way. Like you said every time you raise the hose on your bc to dump air you bang u against the snorkel. After one dive I looked at those experienced divers I was with and stuck my snorkel in the box and left it there the rest of the course and have not used one on any of the dives since. I know those experienced divers were setting a bad example and in certain instances I may need one. When I dive in the ocean I will probably either get a fold up or attach mine to my bc, but in the lakes i've been diving I haven't seen a need for one yet.

TRACI
10-23-2007, 08:05
I do not where a snorkel when I am diving because it seems like it gets in the way, I think I may get a snorkel that folds, because I know sometimes at the surface when conditions are choppy I sometimes wish I had a snorkel.

davieeeee
10-23-2007, 08:12
I'm definatly with the minority here, but I prefer having a snorkel as there are times when I just dont want to waste air, but still be able to see whats beneath me as I wait for the others to get in the water. I have never actually found it to annoy me, so either I am yet to get into a bad situation, or it may be due to the fact that my snorkel is very slim and follows the curve of my head (does not stick up much from the top of my head therefore has a low chance of entanglement) The drop away feature seems to work as well, as I have never even noticed my mouthpiece was there when diving. It is a Tusa snorkle in case you are wondering.

BobbyWombat
10-23-2007, 08:14
I agree with awap. You should carry a snorkel when doing offshore diving. Note that this does not necessarily mean it needs to be strapped to your head at all times.

If there is a possibility of chop, I'll tuck mine in my BC. The fold up variety look like they would work well, too. Just keep it in a pocket. It will be there if you need it.

scubamike
10-23-2007, 08:29
I have a personal experience that has made me always carry a snorkel with me. To make a story short, I had a long swim against the current after surfacing. Thanks to the snorkel I was just able to float, relax and breathe.

So it doesn't matter how annoying it is, you will always see me with one.

mm2002
10-23-2007, 09:45
Funny thing is I thought I would be in the minority by hating snorkels! I guess not. You all did give me an idea though, what about a Velcro attachment on the side of your leg? I wear a fairly big knife on my right leg, and it never gets in the way. I am picturing a snorkel and a Velcro strap on my left leg (go ahead and laugh:smiley36:). I have to agree with the safety factor of having one available if needed, so that tends to make me want to have one on me. The fold up ones look like they would be easy to stow, but they look kinda flimsy don't they? When I DO snorkel, I like a rigid one, not those floppy ones.

det4220
10-23-2007, 10:20
I don't like them either. Only wear them on classes when required or in the pool to test out other equipment.

CompuDude
10-23-2007, 13:05
Pocket snorkel for the win.

I only wear a snorkel in pool sessions. Even OW class, I use a pocket snorkel.

Snorkels are not compatible with the long hose rig I wear, even if I did like them. Those things are a downright hazard in the kelp, too.

I would consider wearing one more if I dove waters clear enough to be worth snorkeling in, however... most areas around here, 20' vis is a blessing, so you're not going to see anything once you get 30' from shore anyway.

mulefeathers
10-23-2007, 13:12
We were required to have and wear a snorkel during our entire training course from to pool to check out dive. I hated the snorkel huge pain. Once the instructor signed off the snorkel got put in the closet and I have not seen it in over a year.

My dive buddies wont go anywhere without one I wont even look at one. Be comfortable this is supposed to fun.

MSilvia
10-23-2007, 13:31
I wear mine when I'm snorkeling or class standards require it. When I'm diving, I don't bother bringing one along... it stays in the bag. At the surface, I prefer to be face-up, as the visibility doesn't generally let me see anything from the surface anyhow. In my experience, breathing through a snorkel in choppy conditions is a good way to inhale water. I just time my breaths instead, and don't have a problem.

Texas_Aggie06
10-23-2007, 13:56
mine comes with me in the bag in case i get a chance to snorkel. but, it is not on me when i dive. when i'm at the surface, i prefer swimming on my back. no need for a snorkel.
:fly:

cooltravelnews
10-23-2007, 19:25
I left my snorkel on ocassion and lived to regret it when my tank malfunctioned and when high seas and no air nearly got me drowned when the boat had trouble finding me. (*Buy an OMS 9'7" high seas safety sausage/90lb lift bag, with a reflective dive flag and a strobe and my ultimate favorite for the daytime fast rescue a 40" rainbow light weight wind sock on its top and a high quality reflector mirror. You may never need them, but live to dive another day.) 600+dives Fiji to Grenada:smiley20::smiley20:

mm2002
10-23-2007, 19:27
I left my snorkel on ocassion and lived to regret it when my tank malfunctioned and when high seas and no air nearly got me drowned when the boat had trouble finding me. (*Buy an OMS 9'7" high seas safety sausage/90lb lift bag, with a reflective dive flag and a strobe and my ultimate favorite for the daytime fast rescue a 40" rainbow light weight wind sock on its top and a high quality reflector mirror. You may never need them, but live to dive another day.) 600+dives Fiji to Grenada:smiley20::smiley20:

I'll not argue that's damn good advice.

Kokomo
10-23-2007, 20:02
I was taught to use it and continue to use it. I want every safety measure available. I don't even know it's there. And as someone else said, frequently I like to snorkel to wear we drop down so I can see what's there without wasting air.