PDA

View Full Version : So what has your favorite night dive been?

plot
10-22-2007, 21:35
Noticed this forum was here and empty so I thought I'd make a thread.

I've only done night dives in a lake to date and have loved them. Something different? Yea. But also it's fun to sneak up on the sleeping fish and for some reason everything looks even cooler in the dark. That and there's nothing more relaxing than floating topside in a calm lake looking up at the stars in the complete dark.

So what type of night dives have you guys done? Any particular reason you went on the dive? (ie: some specific fish activity or something?). I'd like to do more night dives and am looking for some ideas. :)

ScubaCat
10-22-2007, 21:52
CocoView Resort in Roatan has the best night dives, but then again, other than lake night dives, that's the only place I've done night dives, lol. At least at CocoView you can decide whether you want to go down the Wall or to the Prince Albert. You can turn off your light & see all the Phosopherus (sp?) & yes, you can still sneak up on sleeping fish. The best part of the night dives for me was seeing octopus. I'd never seen one before & my 3rd night dive ever I saw 2!!! One great big one & a smaller one. It's cool how they change colors!

RECDiver
10-22-2007, 22:35
Best night dive was at Paradise Reef, Cozumel, Mexico in 1981 and again in 2005.

sidneydiver
10-22-2007, 22:45
I did a dusk and a night dive yesterday in Jupiter, FL. It was so beautiful. The life down there was amazing and the reef was so colourful. I can't wait to go again!

kingfish
10-23-2007, 05:50
My best night dive so far is my only night dive so far. :P
Was like spotlighting while doing scuba and i loved it.
Did it during my AOW a couple of weeks ago.:)

Jas.

CompuDude
10-23-2007, 12:54
Puerto Vallarta in late October.

The amount of phosphorescence in the water was beyond belief. Who needs drugs?

We went into a small 20' clearing ringed by boulders, linked arms, and shut off our lights. Once our eyes adjusted, we realized the gentle surge was producing a spectacular light show against the boulders in front of us every time it washed against them. Simply stunning. I'll never forget when I first entered at the surface, either, and glanced down to see massive whorls of glowy sparks spinning off my fin tips as I finned to stay at the surface.

I get misty-eyed just thinking about it. LOL

divingmedic
10-23-2007, 14:10
Mid August 2004, Gulf of Mexico The Flower Gardens for a coral spawning trip. I have some pics that my bunk mate/insta buddy took. I will upload them here later this week.

gibson1525
10-23-2007, 14:31
I prefer night dives, in fact I'd like to to 2 night dives all week if they would let me. I think my most spectacular ones were in Belize. We were on the Belize Aggressor and did every night dive. At the beginning of the week the rest of the boat decided to have a few drinks at dinner and skip the night dives. After our 3rd night in a row of seeing multiple octopus, squid, 5' barracudas, turtles, sea horses, sharks and free swimming eels they finally decided to join us. It seemed like every night the dive got better and better.

turtle_guy
10-23-2007, 17:07
harpers dock in port orchard pnw

awap
10-23-2007, 17:47
Cozumel, Delila Reef. A 15 minute lightening storm passed overhead during the dive. Some of the flashes lit things up for 3 to 5 seconds.

RoadRacer1978
10-23-2007, 18:00
Only night dives so far have been during AOW and Night diver specialty. I enjoyed them and the best part was how peaceful it was both below and above. To surface and it be quiet with nothing but the moon and stars to see was quite nice. Diving at night hasn't been much different that diving below 30' in the lakes around here. They all require a primary and backup light. I did see a few more fish during the night dives and the vis was better because there were not a ton of divers stirring up the silt.

cooltravelnews
10-23-2007, 18:27
Little Cayman Beach Resort freighter 5-minutes right off the beach. It had a few of the biggest fish I ever saw. A giant grouper and swarms of sea lice which attacked the uncovered unmercylessly. I was covered in a 1mm and I still had lice around my openings. I kept turning off my light to have them move to other divers. If the fish are there it is a great dive.:smiley20::smiley21:

Kokomo
10-23-2007, 18:38
The Benwood in Key Largo was good. Tons and tons of huge blue parrotfish.

WV Diver
10-23-2007, 18:42
Town Pier, Bonaire.

Lots of diversity. I saw an octopus, two Seahorses and lots of other species. I can't wait to dive it again with my wife.

chace_nicole
10-23-2007, 19:29
Puerto Vallarta in late October.

The amount of phosphorescence in the water was beyond belief. Who needs drugs?

We went into a small 20' clearing ringed by boulders, linked arms, and shut off our lights. Once our eyes adjusted, we realized the gentle surge was producing a spectacular light show against the boulders in front of us every time it washed against them. Simply stunning. I'll never forget when I first entered at the surface, either, and glanced down to see massive whorls of glowy sparks spinning off my fin tips as I finned to stay at the surface.

I get misty-eyed just thinking about it. LOL

great description! I am looking forward to a night dive in Coz, if mine is anything like this, I will get misty eyed no joke:)

Travelnsj
10-23-2007, 19:52
Best night dive is when you have 10 big Mantas in your face in Kona.....second was just recently in Wakatobi...snakes, rare lionfish, pigmy cuttlefish, nudis, shrimp, weird crabs etc.

Doug B
10-23-2007, 20:58
The Benwood in Key Largo was good. Tons and tons of huge blue parrotfish.

Agree. I dove the Benwood early in the afternoon, and then French Reef later. We got back to the dock, the boat unloaded, and there was a young lady, about my age, who was trying to finish up her AOW. The boat captain asked if anyone was interested in doing a night dive. My buddy and I sang out in unison "ME!".

We went back to the Benwood, dove it at night. I'm glad we had the day dive first... so I got to know the wreck, and could navigate it very well at night. I led the three-some, the young lady was in the middle, and my buddy brang up the rear.

Full moon, almost too many divers on the wreck.... we crossed paths with another group of six divers, and it took a few minutes to sort out who was who.

Giant parrots, huge grouper, bazillions of shrimp, phosphorsent stuff, lobsters, very pleasant night dive in about 40 feet of water.

Only had a vauge idea of where the boat was....and there were a TON of boats there that night. But I did a good job of dead reckoning, and brought us up within 50 feet of the starboard side.

Doug B
10-23-2007, 21:14
My FIFTH saltwater dive was in Cancun at night. I'll admit I was a little scared. NOt only was it night, but I was doing my first backward roll in entry. Oh, and the DM (who was/is really cool), says, "we normally dont' see any sharks here at night... but if you do see one, don't shine your light at them... it may attract them more toward you...." Great, I'm thinking...

Luckily, the DM gave me the BIG light..... so at least I wasn't stuck with a little pen light.... made me feel a little better.

My buddy (also my instructor) and I roll in, and in the excitment both of us had air in our BC's. We come back up underneath the boat and bump our heads lever so slightly. No pain, just embarrassment. Dump the air, and we're down 30 feet to the reef, he's following me down.

One HELLUVA current. I drop to the sand, and for a half-of-a-split-second I start to panic. But, I tell myself... uh, self... this isn't any worse than the dark and cold quarry where you've been several times with 4' of viz.

Quick check for my buddy, and I see he's swimming off toward a 12 year old kid (and Dad) who are diving with us can't deal with the current and are drifting away. I swim 20 feet to hide behind the reef and stick with the DM.

The first two minutes weren't scary, but they did make me a bit anxious. Once I made it to the reef... it was AWESOME. My buddy pulls the dad and kid to the reef about three minutes later. Tucked in close to the reef, the current wasn't bad at all.

Giant hermit crabs - larger than basketballs, lobsters everywhere, sleeping parrots, sleeping turtle, puffer (pocupine?) fish about three feet long with HUGE eyes, Crabs..... too cool!

One of my most memorable and favorite dives!

Since then, I've done six night dives (I think). Each has been a lot of fun.

My buddy and I now have a saying...."if you have a choice of night or day, choose night".

Doug B
10-23-2007, 21:21
Best night dive is when you have 10 big Mantas in your face in Kona.....second was just recently in Wakatobi...snakes, rare lionfish, pigmy cuttlefish, nudis, shrimp, weird crabs etc.

Saw a lionfish in the Bahamas in the spring of 2006. Must have been somebody cleaning out their fish tank or something.... got photos of it too...

Travelnsj
10-23-2007, 23:30

Saw a lionfish in the Bahamas in the spring of 2006. Must have been somebody cleaning out their fish tank or something.... got photos of it too...

Here is a pic of a Manta in my face and the Lion fish...well they said was a rare spotted one that come out at night.

kingfish
10-24-2007, 00:56
Great pics.
Love the Lionfish.:)

Jas.

caroln
10-24-2007, 09:20
My favorite so far was my first night dive in Hol Chan in Belize. It was just me and the DM, so when I held my flashlight in, everything went dark, and I felt like the only human being in the world. The DM was awesome at pointing out tiny little critters, and I was fascinated by the moray eels out swimming around. The coolest part was at the end of the dive, we turned our flashlights off, and played with the bioluminescence. I was swirling my hand and just watching the trail of sparkles, and I felt like Harry Potter or something.

divnhank
10-24-2007, 16:44
Just got back from Bonaire to see the coral spawn. You see so many different things at night. Very cool!

divnhank
10-24-2007, 16:51
Here are some day/night shots

618 619

Orange cup coral in day and at night

620 621

Basket Star balled up in day, open at night

MSilvia
10-24-2007, 17:02
Some of my favorite night dives have been off the coast of Massachusetts. It seems like the majority of local marine life is more active at night, and on one dive in particular I saw a lobster fighting a crab over a meal (the lobster not only won the fight, but had crab legs for dinner... the meal escaped), more skates than I could count, a horseshoe crab the size of a trash can lid, abundant bioluminescent comb jellies and plankton, several very large and colorful sea ravens, a big ocean pout, several squid colorfully warning me away from their eggs (those squid had some cajones... they were only about 7 inches long), and I could go on and on.

Among the best things about that dive was that it only cost me about $5 in gas money.

plot
10-24-2007, 18:20
I defiantly need to do some ocean night diving. The pics are awesome, and I'm curious about this bioluminescence now.

UCFKnightDiver
10-24-2007, 19:29
yea I cant wait really want to do some

kfore
10-24-2007, 22:52
The same day I completed my Open Water cert at Lake Tenkiller (Oklahoma), we did a night dive. WOW - awesome experience.

Visibility was notably better than during the daytime dives (no green haze from the algae reflecting sunlight I guess) and saw many more species of fish than during the day.

I am just a newbie (2 different lakes, 8 dives) but am definitely hooked on night diving. Can't wait to try it in blue water someday soon...

diver_daver
10-25-2007, 13:03
The Rothesay on the St Lawrence river just ouside Prescott. Done during a full moon, clear sky, no dive lights needed, and just me and my dive partner. Now that's calm!

bubble-head
10-28-2007, 10:44
My favorite night dive was the invasion beach on Guam. It was an eerie experience but absolutely awesome! It was rarely dove due to its location. War equipment was everywhere, giving you a real good feel of the carnage that had to have taken place.

Daved
10-28-2007, 11:26
Town Pier--but early in the morning with just your DM.

Soonerwink
10-28-2007, 15:37
The Flower Gardens, so much to see and it seems my pictures even come out better at night. My top 3 dives I have done have all been night dives at the Flower Gardens and Cozumel. I like the Flower Gardens the best mostly because there is less current and you can slow down and enjoy the dive so much more.

bversteegh
10-29-2007, 00:30
The Airbore Jetty in Raja Ampat Indonesia. The critters under the jetty are incredible, awesome soft coral on the piers, saw a Wobbegong and Epaulette shark. 90 minutes of incredible diving.

rach
10-29-2007, 12:14
a site called Pole-to-Pole in northern Dominica...swimming inbetween the huge jetty supports at night with the faint light from the dock is pleasantly creepy...

Cojrock
10-29-2007, 17:30
My favorite night dive was looking at the flashlight fish inside the SS Coolidge and then feeding the lionfish that were in the nearby reef.

Big Mike
10-30-2007, 11:36
Anybody offer any tips for a claustrophobic that really wants to do a night dive? I don't have any problems during the day, but I'm just not sure how I'd handle the night.

CompuDude
10-30-2007, 16:19
Anybody offer any tips for a claustrophobic that really wants to do a night dive? I don't have any problems during the day, but I'm just not sure how I'd handle the night.

Try snorkeling first?

Big Mike
10-30-2007, 16:22
Thanks Man, I appreciate it, I've not thought about doing that first, great idea!:smiley20:

Try snorkeling first?

Doug B
10-31-2007, 22:54

Find a friend that has a pool in his backyard. Dive in the pool at night.

Big Mike
10-31-2007, 23:08
Cool Idea, now all I have to do is find a friend with a pool

mcc2318
11-24-2007, 22:39
whiskey wreck in gulf shores

mcc2318
11-24-2007, 22:40
or the destin jetties

navyhmc
11-25-2007, 02:41
Best night dive was at Paradise Reef, Cozumel, Mexico in 1981 and again in 2005.

That would be high on my list. West reef at Roatan beats it though at night.

Mycroft
11-26-2007, 15:07
Southern Bahamas and Belize. Night diving off the Nekton Pilot was easy and fun. The boat is very well lit to find your way back, and the variety of stuff you see at night is fun.

mcc2318
11-26-2007, 16:13
i forgot the paddle wheel in gulf shores

scubaaaronh
11-28-2007, 10:29
Plaza Resort 18 palms Bonaire this past june. There was so much to see on that particular dive. Free swimming eels. a little octo that was changin colors trying to chase us away, the biggest lobster i have ever seen underwater, and crabs lots of crabs all over. Tarpon hunting in our lights. We were four others we met on scubaboard and had a great time

dannybot
11-28-2007, 19:55
Hol Chan in Belixe off Ambergris Caye. There were about a dozen snoozing rays, a giant parrot fish--about 6 ft, and several eels, I even got a brief video of two eels fighting.

mwhities
11-28-2007, 20:15
Pensaola FL @ Pensacola Beach. First turtle and 5 1/2 sting ray. The most awesome thing was we turned the lights out on the way back to the beach and those luminescent bug/creatures were everywhere and as we purposely "swam" trough them, it light up our path back to the beach.

LOVE IT!

Michael

tlmainer
11-29-2007, 18:27
Paradise in Cozumel. As great as it is at night, it is 100 times better during the day!

navyhmc
11-29-2007, 21:00
I did beach snorkelling while at Roatan on an SI and was cruising the end of the runway and found several aircraft parts in about 20' of water. That was interesting and scary at the same time.

DiverBob
11-29-2007, 22:22
I love night diving. Cozumel was by far my best night dive. The critters really come out at night on Dalila reef. :smiley20:

DS78
11-30-2007, 16:38
July of this year we were Diving with Key Dives on alligator. Got in the water just before dark and watched the transition from dusk to dark and all the new critters that appeared. Saw a nurse shark get her lobster dinner up close and almost to personal. Saw some huge bugs could of feed the whole crew for a week. Just a really nice hour of discovery. We sat on the sand bottom and turned our lights out for 10 min or so and show was fantastic. Going to do it again soon headed that way for Christmas.:smiley20:

easyrider003
12-01-2007, 11:20
I did a night dive at Morrison Springs. It was a full moon that night and I was about 60 feet down and it was probably the coolest thing I have seen, looking up at the moon and stars from sixty feet down.

Aussie
12-01-2007, 19:33
My Favourite night dive would have to be on the SS President Coolidge in Santo, Vanuatu.

You enter the water just on dark and make your way down to about 30m to cargo holds 1 & 2. During the dive you carry a dive light but you do not turn it on. The whole idea of the dive is to see flashlight fish that live in the wreck.
As you settle to a comfortable spot on the wreck the flashlight fish move in schools in and out of the wreck. Thundreds of little flashing lights makes this a unique experience and more so with diving down to 30m at night without using a divelight.

The end of the dive it was very interesting using your light to look at the Lion fish feeding on the small baitfish and they do move when they want to.

Aussie

DGSPEAR
12-02-2007, 23:00
my first night dive was one of my favorite...it was in blue hole, new mexico, a natural spring down to about 86 feet. went down to the bottom and turned off my light and could see everything happening up on the surface. and the moon was bright enough to see around at the bottom. then went over to the wall and climbed my way back up to the top.

Damselfish
12-02-2007, 23:25
Manta night dive in Kona, at least 18 individual mantas were counted the night we were there, it was crazy.

Sun Dancer in Belize, many huge schools of fish, from small stuff to tarpon attracted by the light of the boat, all swirling around under the boat in a frenzy. Could just hang under the boat and watch the party. On the reef at night, there were so many tarpon they were annoying, always in the way or snapping up what your light hit.

The night, I don't know where it was, my husband got in a tug of war with an octopus over a bit of camera gear. Hardest I've ever laughed underwater.

Another night someplace in T&C, my husband found a small reef shark that was hooked with the line stuck in some coral and thrashing around. Naturally he took it's picture, startling it enough to break free - in his direction. Then he bounced him away from him with his camera - then he thought to wonder which side I was on and had he bounced the shark in my direction...?

navyhmc
12-03-2007, 01:53
My favorite night dive was the invasion beach on Guam. It was an eerie experience but absolutely awesome! It was rarely dove due to its location. War equipment was everywhere, giving you a real good feel of the carnage that had to have taken place.

That sounds like a dive I would like to make. :smiley20::smiley20:

TRACI
12-03-2007, 14:39
In Coz, Dalila is one of my fav day dives, so I bet it would be incredible at night. I hope to do my first night dive in Coz in January.

Beecharmer
12-03-2007, 18:00

I agree. Best night dive was Paradise Reef, Cozumel, MX on a full-moon night! We saw everything you could imagine! :smiley20:

GDiver
12-07-2007, 19:50
I prefer night dives, in fact I'd like to to 2 night dives all week if they would let me. I think my most spectacular ones were in Belize. We were on the Belize Aggressor and did every night dive. At the beginning of the week the rest of the boat decided to have a few drinks at dinner and skip the night dives. After our 3rd night in a row of seeing multiple octopus, squid, 5' barracudas, turtles, sea horses, sharks and free swimming eels they finally decided to join us. It seemed like every night the dive got better and better.

I agree. My best night dive was in Belize right off Ambergris Caye. Absolutely incredible scenery.

FOUNDATIONER
12-07-2007, 20:40
Best night dives I've done are right off the shore at CocoView
on Roatan. My favorite way was to get up at about 4 in the
morning, go grab a tank and gear up and get in the water in
pitch darkness. About 45 minutes into the dive everything starts
to glow as daybreak approaches and when you get out, its
morning and time to get ready for breakfast:yumyum:

cutter77
12-07-2007, 22:49
Ditto on the Belize night dive under the Nekton Pilot.
The image of all those big stainless steel tarpon with yellow eyes hunting by divers' lights is something I won't forget soon.

adv_diver1
12-08-2007, 21:20
Parrot's Landing / Parrot's Reef - Cayman Islands, 1994.

My one and only.

ScubaJW
12-10-2007, 21:38
Hm, probably in Seattle, diving in Puget Sound (Alki Beach)... At the beginning of the dive, my buddy was planning to do photography, taking pictures of cabezon guarding the eggs. Man, that fish was soo defensive, and it even attacked me by hitting my head with a good force! But, it was a memorable! :D

Doug B
12-10-2007, 22:19
Cool Idea, now all I have to do is find a friend with a pool

I've got a pool in the backyard. It's a little cold right now.... hovering around 38 degrees. You're more than welcome to get wet.

No worries about creatures with sharp teeth, getting lost as sea, or deco either. Max depth is 7.5 feet. I'm thinking you'd have to be under for 400 minutes to require a safety stop.

Only scary creatures are the earth worms that crawl in when it rains for three days straight. I'll give you the vacuum tube, you can suck them out of the bottom.

It is sort of fun diving it at night though....

Lmscott
12-14-2007, 17:06
My first night dive was quite interesting. I was at Wakatobi in Sulawesi. Yes, the dark water really unnerved me, but once underwater things weren't too bad. What enthused me the most about the dive was some sort of phosphorescent algae in the water. Whenever I waved my hand in front of me or kicked my fins, the algae lit up like bright green fireflies in the water. My ears started giving me problems just before everyone else came up, so my buddy and I started up a bit early. As soon as my head popped out of the water, I was overcome by a sense of "all is right with the world." There was a beautiful full moon shining down on the water, all golden. It was the most lovely thing. I just wanted to float there and enjoy it.

Duckydiver
12-14-2007, 20:34
The two best night dives I did were at Dutch Springs PA...Actually the only two night dives i did.

Mycroft
12-15-2007, 21:24
I have done a half dozen night dives off the Nekton Pilot. Half in the Bahamas and half in Belize. I have also done a bunch of dives in some caverns. On the night dives we saw all kinds of flora and fauna.

On a night dive I use my twin Super C ikelite dive lights mounted to the two arms of my camera strobes. Nothing to be scared of.

teerlkay
12-18-2007, 02:15
Bells to Blue hole, Dahab Egypt.

Enter head first into the Bells tube, 18 meters straight down, spits you out on the outside of the wall - 1800 meters straight down.

Head south, wall on your right shoulder.

Ready? 1..2..3.. Turn off the torches and observe all the illuminated flashlight fish in the wall - like a planetarium!

Slowly head south

End of dive, cross the saddle, now you're in Blue hole Lagoon.

Surface and observe the trillions of stars out.

Fireplug
12-18-2007, 18:18
My only night dive so far was Molasses Reef off of Key Largo. We had a good sized group, 15 or so, and other than trying to keep my dive buddy in sight, it was great. Everyone looks like a dark shape in the water and I kept looking for my db by hair color, LOL.

Lots of critters about, had a small crab ready to throw down with me. It was his reef and I wasn't welcome to be snooping about.

Our instructor gave his patented octopus hand signal and a dozen of us rushed over to see. Must have scared that little octopus to death as he shot back down into his hole!

Can't wait for the next night dive. :smiley20:

PsychDiver
12-19-2007, 16:25
Best night dive was in Okinawa Japan. Lots of creatures. Sea snakes that are attracked to your light - so was taught to turn off light as snake approached. Didn't like that Idea so we all decided to shine light on buddy.

rach
12-20-2007, 18:49
Best night dive was in Okinawa Japan. Lots of creatures. Sea snakes that are attracked to your light - so was taught to turn off light as snake approached. Didn't like that Idea so we all decided to shine light on buddy.

ha! that's awesome! all i do to my buddy is dump sand in his wetsuit!

vanessar
12-20-2007, 20:35
Wall dives Palau.

Vanessar

davepoff
12-24-2007, 18:21
The first time I saw a shark was on a night dive. I was diving with a friend at 77ft and our lights were going from side to side, then they came together about 10 ft in front of us and there was a 6ft white heading right toward us. As soon as our lights hit her she started to veer to our left and passed us about 5 ft away from my friend. We just stopped and stared at each other for a few seconds. What a dive, I had been diving on Guam for 3 years and had not seen a shark yet and it was my friend's 9th dive.

sks77
12-27-2007, 11:30
I have done 10-15 night dives. We try to do a couple each trip. By far the best 2 experiences were in Belize. One was close to the Blackbird Caye resort. We went in at dusk saw tons of great stuff and when we came up it was an absolutly incredible display of stars because you are literally in the middle of nowhere. The second was doing the night dive at Hol Chan near Ambergris Caye. That site just simply has a ton of life and has a very easy laid back dive profile.

The worst experience was on my 1st night dive in Grand Cayman. They toook a whole group of 1st time night divers through a long swim through that they did not tell anyone about. We did not even know that we were in a swim-through until tanks started banging on the ceiling above us. Lesson - avoid the big operator cattle boats and if you dont have a good feeling about the operator or divemasters, don't go. We didn't like them going in and really didn't like them after the dive!

MConnelly2
12-30-2007, 21:55
Best one was my only one so far! Just started diving this summer, and inadvertently ended up doing a night dive at Hathaway's Pond in Hyannis, over in America (I no longer consider Nantucket part of America). Buddy forgot his mask, and a couple other delays, ended up not getting in the water until ten minutes before dark. Dive buddy is far more experienced, had a spare light to loan me, and a big expensive canister light on his rig (this kid must have made good money before he joined the Coast Guard - quite the collection of dive toys), and lots of night diving experience.

It was awesome, though! Nothing at all liek diving during the day, much, much more fun, same kinda feeling as going exploring in the woods when I was a little kid, or hiking at night where I had absolutely no idea where I was or where I was going, except much more [can't think of the right word - not quite 'intense', nor 'focused' - 'better', maybe], and, of course, I knew exactly where I was. Just couldn't see anything beyond the light. Really, really cool when all of a sudden the old Saab or the boat on the bottom fo the pond, or the tractor, or the 4 foot eel (yup, in a freshwater kettle pond. Looked just like an eel, didn't know there were any in freshwater ponds. Strange...), just appeared in the light as I was swimming along.

Eager to dive at night again, though, preferably where there is -something-, not just dirt and eelgrass. Maybe a reasonably shallow wreck or some such.

Athena2c
12-30-2007, 22:33
Hands down it was the night dive we did in May in Roatan. It was INCREDIBLE. SO much to see and the best part was the DM had us follow an eel while it was hunting. We saw it catch and eat 2 fish-the first one was so quick you really didn't see it. The second one, the eel wrapped around it an squeezed, like a contrictor would-I had not idea they did that. It was like being in a live episode of National Geographic!! It's going to hard to top that one!

BobArnold8265
01-25-2008, 10:49
Night dives in Bonaire are the best !!!! You can do a shore dive with just your partner so there's no crowd. You're also always close to shore so there's little fear of something going wrong or losing the boat etc. Finally, the sealife in Bonaire is always fantastic.

cutter77
01-25-2008, 22:27

Go in early so you're comfortable in the water as it gradually gets dark, go with someone you have confidence in, stay shallow til you get comfortable, pick a site you've already dived that day, carry a good dive lite with fresh batteries, and pick a low stress dive, i.e no heavy current etc.

ScubaGir1
01-26-2008, 23:22
Oh gosh, definitely my Cozumel trip!!!
Saw a nurse shark, a gigantic hermit crab, sea horse, huge lobster, big fish, the infamous Cozumel Toadfish, and tons of tiny jellies. :) It was awesome!!! :smiley20:

RoyN
02-06-2008, 23:08
Don't know where this place was, but I had a wolf eel come over to check out my light. :D

DRhodes
02-10-2008, 08:44
Well, my first and only night dive so far has been Thumper Slide on Light House Reef in Belize. It was really cool. There is a female dolphin that hangs out near Light House Reef Resort and she followed us out to the site. So I got to swim around w/her a little.

She paid most of her attention though to the oldest diver in our group, 78 yrs old. The guy jogs 4 miles a day and eats raw eggs for breakfast.... eeewwwwww nasty.

KGNickl
02-10-2008, 19:10
I don't like the dark. Not liking the dark = no night diving.

skdvr
02-10-2008, 19:46
I love night diving....

My most memorable was durin gmy Advanced Course (this past summer). One lady in our group was mainly a vacation diver and had not dove in about a year. It was her first time wearing a 7mm wetsuit which seemed to make her feel Ccaustrophobic and she was having a hard time with the class. Well our last dive of the day was our night dive. She was Extremely hesitant about doing it and had actually talked to my wife and said she did not think that she could go through with it. My wife talked her into at least dearing up and giving it a shot. She did not want to wear a wetsuit so we decided to keep it above the thermalcline at 25'. The dive only lasted about 25 min and when we surfaced she had the biggest smile on her face, and we actually did another dive. She was so excited about it that she could not stop talking about the two dives after we got out of the water. It actually completely renewed her excitement for the sport and she has starting buying her own gear to do more local diving. She said she will dive as long as she does not have to get into a 7mm. 3mm diving is OK with her but if it is to cold for that she will not do it.

Both her and her husband still talk about that night everytime I see them. It was just cool to see someone fall inlove with something again that they were ready to quit.

Phil

rfb3
02-12-2008, 16:35
The town pier in Bonaire!

dannybot
02-16-2008, 08:16
Prince Albert in the cove between Cocoview and Fantasy Island is really cool, lots of colorful coral all over the boat. Also lots of swim throughs on the boat, if you're so inclined.

cmburch
02-16-2008, 15:44
Channel Islands with Truth Aquatics Dive charters. We went out to a few Islands. One night dive, San Clemente I think, had line of lobsters walking across the open sand areas, a sleeping halibut (this was the first and last night dive that I went on without my gun), a lot of sea life such as white and purple sea urchins, star fish, a medium size octopus. I also like Monterey Bay. I went out on the 4th of July. It's nice watching. Other things that I like at Monterey are the birds flying near the surface of the water, the stars or a full moon as you're kicking in or out. A full moon when your under the water is also nice. A playful harbor seal may impress my female dive buddy on a night dive, but it ruins my evening when trying to kill something like a ling cod or halibut.

JimHar99
03-21-2008, 18:00
At Habitat Curcao, the house reef. We did a night dive and we saw a couple of large morey eels, octopus, lobster, reef squid. It seemed like every few meters we came upon something of intrest. It was a great dive. Then the next night we dove that same dive and saw hardly anything. I guess it's like fishing, sometimes you hit it, and sometimes you don't.

Z-naught
03-28-2008, 07:02
From my dive logbook...the Great Mojo Dive.

Time of Entry: 20:30
Month: October

Under an auspicious blue moon, the Hood Canal's waters surged and burbled with nocturnal vigor. Defying explanation, the conditions were such that bioluminescent dinoflagellates were so abundant in the layer of water near the surface that as one moved through it, the wakes and whirls of disturbed water triggered great billowing clouds of flaring blue-white lights innumerable. Hundreds of thousands of 'pixie dust' particles swirled around us, as if Tinker Bell herself had exploded in a maelstrom of pixelated light. Even the subtle motion of flexing one's fingers elicited bursts of intense blue-white light. We turned off our lights and settled at a depth of 15 feet, where we stirred the water with our arms and generated a monstrous storm of light, enveloping us in a brilliant, churning cloud of electric blue. It was a surreally beautiful space where the macroscopic was mirrored in the microscopic, with the aetheral majesty of twirling galaxies and globular star clusters emulated by the myriad, glowing denizens of the benthos. I was swimming in liquid firmament!

The most amazing part of the dive was the octopus our group encountered as it was hunting at about 60 feet. Approximately two feet in length, it was a juvenile that was preying upon a rather large crab when our instructor spotted it. He removed his neoprene glove, as octopuses dislike the 'smell' of neoprene as he later explained, and proceeded to gently stroke the posterior 'sac' of the little critter, which comprises its mantle cavity I believe. Following his example, I removed my glove and slowly extended my left hand toward the little vermillion cephalopod, as if to shake hands. The little octopus, with reciprocal curiosity, cautiously extended one of its arms toward my hand and gently wrapped the end of its slender, mottled appendage around my index finger. I could feel its tiny suction cups gripping my skin, 'smelling' me as it were. It was a moment out of myth, like Michelangelo's God creates Adam upon the vault of the Sistine Chapel recapitulated in the briny deep with a neoprene sheathed primate and a maroon octopod. I felt like I was communing with a genuinely alien intelligence. We were completely alien to each other, but out of mutual curiousity we had reached out to say, "hello!" Alas, it was a short lived encounter, as ere two seconds had passed, the octopus had carefully withdrawn its fleshy probe and swam off into a clump of brown, leafy algae. Later, I emerged cold, heavy, and utterly exhillerated by my spectacular night dive.Night diving is, in my experience, simply the best diving there is.

scubarobin
03-28-2008, 09:45
I LOVE night diving!

up until 2 years ago my favorite night dives were all in Cozumel. But then we did the Nekton Pilot in Bahamas and I had my best night dive there! It was magical, every critter you could imagine, no current, just peaceful and relaxing! I watched an octopus hunt for over 5 minutes, 2 lobsters fighting, 3 different species of eels out hunting, tons of little night shrimp and lobsters, lots of sleeping parrotfish, etc. I just couldn't get over how wonderful it was.
Since then I have done some nice night dives elsewhere, like Bonaire, Kona, Palau, etc. but that night dive in the Bahamas was my favorite!:smiley20:

We are doing the Nekton Rorqual to Bahamas next month so hopefully we will be able to do 4-5 more night dives like that Special one!

Dee
03-28-2008, 14:44
The Front Yard at CoCo View in Roatan. There's always something new to see that I missed the last time. The Choralamorph anemones, crabs out feeding to hiding game fish, basket stars and the obligatory Octopus.

http://allenhost.com/gallery/d/90760-2/P5253131F.jpg
http://allenhost.com/gallery/d/90765-3/P5253143F.jpg
http://allenhost.com/gallery/d/90766-3/P5253153F.jpg
http://allenhost.com/gallery/d/90772-3/P5253172F.jpg
http://allenhost.com/gallery/d/90780-3/P5253205F.jpg

Dawn dive are just as much fun, you get to watch all the night creatures going home and the guys on day shift just heading out to work!

Charles R
03-28-2008, 19:34
Kona Hi night Manta dive it was the greatest experience of my dive life

diver 85
03-31-2008, 17:28
Noticed this forum was here and empty so I thought I'd make a thread.

I've only done night dives in a lake to date and have loved them. Something different? Yea. But also it's fun to sneak up on the sleeping fish and for some reason everything looks even cooler in the dark. That and there's nothing more relaxing than floating topside in a calm lake looking up at the stars in the complete dark.

So what type of night dives have you guys done? Any particular reason you went on the dive? (ie: some specific fish activity or something?). I'd like to do more night dives and am looking for some ideas. :)

Spooky channel in front of Bay Island Beach Resort, Roatan....If you get all the way thru the cut into the Sea, it does get a little 'spooky'.....

Panchita
04-17-2008, 11:11
crabs and octopus everywhere you looked! I absolutely love the octopus and they were crawling all over the coral and seemed fairly unafraid. Also a couple of free-swimming eel out - they're a little spooky when you catch them in the flashlight beam. Night diving is not my favorite - especially when there's sharks, but then again, how do you know there's sharks when you can't see them... :smiley29:

Sounder
04-17-2008, 11:51
There are lots of amazing night dives around the Puget Sound, but my favorite is Day Island Wall at night.

LCF
04-17-2008, 16:40
Two of the best dives I've ever done were night dives at Cove 2 in Seattle. On one, the biggest octopus I've seen yet crawled out from under the wrecked sailboat and sat RIGHT underneath me for several minutes, glaring up at me, before slithering off into the dark. I was squeaking through my regulator in excitement, and I was still sputtering a half hour later, when we surfaced and I asked my buddies, "Did you SEE that octopus?" (Like anybody could have missed it.)

The other was my one six gill shark encounter, a scooter dive at night, where ran into a 12 foot female shark in about 60 feet of water. She also hung around for quite a while to be admired, and even swam right toward me, at which point I ducked behind my dive buddy on the theory that he looked tastier than I did :)

ChrisA
04-17-2008, 17:11

A bunch of us, conditions permitting, dive every Wed. night after work. We dive at the local beach. It is a sandy beach that typically has reasonable surf. A lot of people think there is not much to see but if you dive the same site every week for years what you are then looking for and seeing on each dive is "change". For example we spotted many, giant black sea bass babies about 1.5 inches long. (It is a rare protected fish that could grow to 350 to 700 pounds) Always something to see at night there. A few years back we noticed the first sarcastic fringhead and now they are here to stay. we had neudibraches but only breifly. Some times the place is "litterd" with small horn sharks. In the fall we get squid and many squid eggs (looks like snow at 70 feet) I've done maybe 200+ dives there at the same site at night.

This site is not so great as a day dive. All the animals leave for deeper water. But it is well used for training every weekend. Last night at about 8:00 there was a "night nitrox" class there the instructor seemed to be killing three birds with one stone, surf entries and exists, nitrox and night diving. I think it was an AOL class.

Sounder
04-17-2008, 17:33
The other was my one six gill shark encounter, a scooter dive at night, where ran into a 12 foot female shark in about 60 feet of water. She also hung around for quite a while to be admired, and even swam right toward me, at which point I ducked behind my dive buddy on the theory that he looked tastier than I did :)

This is my favorite night dive story... I never get tired of hearing it!! :smilie40:

Babster
04-18-2008, 20:48
"The Dome" at NW Point off of Provinciales, Turks and Caicos Islands. Morays, an octopus, and tons of lobster.

That was my first night dive, and the none of the few night/dawn dives I had subsequently have been as magical as that one.

UltimateAg
04-21-2008, 22:03
My night dive in Cozumel was one of the coolest dives I've ever experienced. I saw a crab that, no lie, the BODY was 3 feet in diameter. Lots of moray eels, and squid, there's was just so much activity. It was very cool.

mwhities
04-21-2008, 23:02
Two weekends ago, during my AOW. I was able to use my Salvo 10w HID. LOVE IT!..... Oh and it was a beautiful night and I could've floated on the surface all night.

Sounder
04-22-2008, 14:19
Two weekends ago, during my AOW. I was able to use my Salvo 10w HID. LOVE IT!..... Oh and it was a beautiful night and I could've floated on the surface all night.

"Mikey likes it!" (we all knew he would!)

mobeeno
04-24-2008, 21:24
I like night diving in the tropics, seeing the parrot fish sleep, seeing corals release stuff and not feeling cold.

jeffhodges
05-13-2008, 00:14
Paradise in Cozumel during a full moon on a cloudless night...Awesome!

Geoff_T
05-13-2008, 01:57
Loo key reef around mm 25 or so in between xmas and new years day. Beautiful dive but the surface interval was fabulous as well.

diver 85
05-14-2008, 11:21
Years ago(summer of '94 I believe) we made our 1st trip to Roatan & stayed @ Fantasy Island..........I made the ship wreck/plane all 6 nites we were there......great little dive the way they had it set up-drop you by boat on the ship & divers follow the rope back to the gazebo....been back to Roatan 24 more times & never got back to FI to nite dive it again.....

diver 85
05-14-2008, 11:22
Also, Spooky Channel in front of Bay Island Beach Resort, Roatan, @ nite is a good one, made that one many a time...