PDA

View Full Version : Primary light

picxie
07-18-2007, 04:39
I'm looking for a good primary light.

Any suggestions? I'm looking at getting one from ScubaToys of course.

The ones I'm looking at are:
Princeton Tec Shockwave LED Light @ $109
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=ShockwaveLED

UK C8 Light @ $59</DIV>
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=UKC8

Princeton Tec Shockwave II @ $79
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Shockwave2

Princeton Tec Miniwave LED Light @ $89
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=MiniWaveLed

At first I thought the Princeton Tec Shockwave LED Light sounded good, however the Shockwave II light looks good too - 15W compared to only 9 W, although burn time is considerably less.

Anyone have any experiences with any of these? Any opinions? Any other recommendations? I'd rather not go above the $109 price at this stage.

Judestudio
07-18-2007, 05:52
I would get an LED for the whiter light. The LED bulb is indestructible (that's why you never see any replacement LED bulbs). Miniwave and Shockwave LED are pretty much the same light with the same lumen output, just less burn time with the C4. I'd pick the Miniwave. It has a 4+ hour burn time on high, which is more than what I need for recreational night dives. It's a good practice to use fresh batteries for each dive, so having 12 hours burn time on the C8 doesn't make a difference for me.

picxie
07-18-2007, 05:52
After a closer look, it seems the Miniwave LED light is just a smaller version of the Shockwave LED light ... same light just less burn time. Does that sound right? So if I was going for the Shockwave LED light but wanted something smaller then the Miniwave would do.

picxie
07-18-2007, 05:55
Snap!!
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Ah, I was going to see if we could get the bulbs here, but if they're longlasting then it may not be too much of an issue.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I currently change batteries for each dive although I might 'cheat' sometimes and use the same set for a second dive that same night if the first wasn't too long.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Whereabouts in NZ are you Judestudio??</DIV>

Judestudio
07-18-2007, 05:58
Snap!!
<div></div>
<div>Ah, I was going to see if we could get the bulbs here, but if they're longlasting then it may not be too much of an issue.</div>
<div></div>
<div>I currently change batteries for each dive although I might 'cheat' sometimes and use the same set for a second dive that same night if the first wasn't too long.</div>
<div></div>
<div>Whereabouts in NZ are you Judestudio??</div>
Oh didn't realize you're a fellow kiwi. I'm in Auckland smileys/smiley1.gif

picxie
07-18-2007, 06:01
Nice. Much closer to some nice dive spots! I'm in Hawkes Bay. It's a bit of a trip to some good spots but at least it's worth it.

Judestudio
07-18-2007, 06:15
Nice. Much closer to some nice dive spots! I'm in Hawkes Bay. It's a bit of a trip to some good spots but at least it's worth it.
I haven't been diving very long, but seems like there's a good dive community here in Auckland. No complain to the great scenery and underwater marine life here. Just a pity that we don't get a lot of choice in gear selection and that it costs me an arm and leg for anything. I got most of my gear here at ST smileys/smiley2.gif and can't be happier. This is officially my favorite shopping spot. LOL

Happy shopping!

przeor
07-18-2007, 07:07
Another vote for the Shockwave LED- it's what we dive with and they're really good lights. Aside from a much more expensive can light, the shockwave is my choice. As mentioned above, the LED gives off a nice bright white light, and with the led, the batteries last forever!

mwhities
07-18-2007, 07:47
I'm thinking my primary light will be a cannister light. Possibly a DiveRite from STs. My "mentor" in AL bought a DR can light and it's sweet. Not to much either. I think she said about 450.00.

Michael

medic001918
07-18-2007, 11:35
I'm thinking my primary light will be a cannister light. Possibly a DiveRite from STs. My "mentor" in AL bought a DR can light and it's sweet. Not to much either. I think she said about 450.00.

Michael

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>If you can afford it and have the interest, the can light is definatly a great way to go. That is actually going to be one of my next major purchases of dive gear (probably after I have the dry gloves put on my dry suit). The only thing is I have to mutiply all my gear times two...what I get, the Mrs. wants as well. The price of being able to buy scuba gear. I can't do for me and tell her no...but at least I get to buy new gear from time to time.</DIV>
<DIV>
Shane</DIV>

jacewindu
07-18-2007, 11:41
i've used a couple different princeton tech lights and had great experiences. Actually, I used two that came from the same pack and the smaller, backup light was actually brighter than the primary light. However, both were excellent on the night dives during which I used them

fire diver
07-18-2007, 12:42
If you can afford it and have the interest, the can light is definatly a great way to go. That is actually going to be one of my next major purchases of dive gear (probably after I have the dry gloves put on my dry suit). The only thing is I have to mutiply all my gear times two...what I get, the Mrs. wants as well. The price of being able to buy scuba gear. I can't do for me and tell her no...but at least I get to buy new gear from time to time.
<DIV>
Shane</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I'll second that. Look at the HID cans. On land, my UK C8 light looks amazingly bright. In the water it seems light using a candle. Buy the biggest light you can afford.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>FD</DIV>

Judestudio
07-18-2007, 18:04
If you can stretch your budget a little, why don't you look at the UK eLED series? They've got similar lumen output compare to the PT lights, difference is the UK has a regulated circuitry. That is, the light will maintain constant output throughout your battery life, and when your battery dies, the light shuts off. Instead of your light getting dimmer and dimmer as your batteries run low. Quite a good feature, I reckon.

I have a C8 eLED Plus (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=UKC8eledPlus) and I'm happy with it smileys/smiley36.gif

Lucky(AR)
07-18-2007, 19:10
hid is the way to go its alot more exp though..if not the shockwave led for around 100 bucks is a great light

Judestudio
07-18-2007, 20:10
I'm not sure that is a good feature. Unless they provide some way of displaying the battery life left, the last thing I want is for my light to be going strong and... ZAP... it's gone. Sounds like a fuel gage that reads Full until it's suddenly Empty.

A dimming bulb is a great warning signal that gives you plenty of time to get fresh batteries.

LOL, true. I guess the way I put it really made it sound bad. What I "wanted" to say was the regulated circuitry is in place to maximize the light output so that you get a bright white light for the longest duration of time, which really is quite a nice feature. Once your battery runs lower than the threshold that supports the circuitry, it DOES dim right down (rather than gradual dimming), I guess you can see that as a warning. It'll last for about an hour, then it shuts. The C8 eLED light, for instance, has a recorded output on high for around 4 hours, which should be plenty enough for recreational night dives.

Judestudio
07-18-2007, 20:26
Rechargeable NiMH inherently deliver near-full output until late in their life cycle.
That's interesting note. So you're implying with NiMH, it'll maintain consistent output in an unregulated circuitry light? Well, that's good to know!

mwhities
07-18-2007, 23:30
<div>If you can afford it and have the interest, the can light is definatly a great way to go. That is actually going to be one of my next major purchases of dive gear (probably after I have the dry gloves put on my dry suit). The only thing is I have to mutiply all my gear times two...what I get, the Mrs. wants as well. The price of being able to buy scuba gear. I can't do for me and tell her no...but at least I get to buy new gear from time to time.</div>
<div>
Shane</div>

Maybe it IS a blessing that my wife doesn't dive. ;)

More gear for me!

Michael

medic001918
07-18-2007, 23:45
Maybe it IS a blessing that my wife doesn't dive. ;)

More gear for me!

Michael

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Oh how jealous I am of you...but it's not all bad. I have to admit that it's pretty nice to be able to go diving with her and enjoy it together. She's slowly gaining more comfort with each dive. And since she finds things she wants, it makes it so I can get stuff too. It's a double edge sword, but all in all...not so bad. Just means I have to work a little more overtime...</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Shane</DIV>

picxie
07-19-2007, 03:40
If you can stretch your budget a little, why don't you look at the UK eLED series? They've got similar lumen output compare to the PT lights, difference is the UK has a regulated circuitry. That is, the light will maintain constant output throughout your battery life, and when your battery dies, the light shuts off. Instead of your light getting dimmer and dimmer as your batteries run low. Quite a good feature, I reckon.

I'm not sure that is a good feature. Unless they provide some way of displaying the battery life left, the last thing I want is for my light to be going strong and... ZAP... it's gone. Sounds like a fuel gage that reads Full until it's suddenly Empty.

A dimming bulb is a great warning signal that gives you plenty of time to get fresh batteries.

<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I think I like the dimming effect, as a warning. Knowing me I'd probably push the other oneto the limit and keep thinking it'll be good for one more dive ... at least a dimming light gives plenty of warning time.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I think I've decided with the Miniwave light. Sounds ideal, and I'd prefer a smaller light even if it means it doesn't last as long.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Thanks everyone for your comments http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley1.gif</DIV>

przeor
07-19-2007, 03:49
good luck with the purchase and let us know how you like it!

picxie
07-19-2007, 04:31
Thanks, will do!
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I've just seen this one too ...</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Princeton Tec 3 LED Attitude Light</DIV>
<DIV>http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=PrincetonTecAttitude (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Princet&#111;nTecAttitude)</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>If the LED lights are that good, perhaps I should update my secondary light and get this too?! It looks small enough to fit in a BCD pocket fulltime.</DIV>

Rickster
07-19-2007, 04:57
I dive the Shockwave LED light and am completely satisfied with it. I have quite a number of dives on it and still using the original batteries. I am changing them this morning, because I am going out on a boat and don't want light failure, but, I bet they would last a few more dives. This light is amazing! The light is a nice white, and the distance is pretty far, as well. I do alot of diving in the kelp beds here in SoCal, and a night dive once a week, so a good light is manditory. The kelp, at times, is so thick, it is like diving at night. I am looking at a couple other princeton tech LED lights for a back-up. Right now I have the SL-4 in a ScubaSoft retractable pouch for my Back-up.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>and no I am not associated with Princeton techsmileys/smiley1.gif</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Rick</DIV>

przeor
07-19-2007, 05:00
Why not? you know you want to, so resisting know is only prolong the inevitable!

picxie
07-19-2007, 05:02
I dive the Shockwave LED light and am completely satisfied with it. I have quite a number of dives on it and still using the original batteries.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>How many dives do you think you might have had with it already?</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Sounds like I would get a lot more out of it than my current torch (although that's really only suitable as a secondary).</DIV>

Judestudio
07-19-2007, 05:30
...I think I've decided with the Miniwave light. Sounds ideal, and I'd prefer a smaller light even if it means it doesn't last as long.
Great choice, for the price tag, you won't go wrong with it. You'd probably get a smallish torch light on some unknown brand here in NZ with that price. PT comes with lifetime warranty, anything wrong with it, just send it back smileys/smiley2.gif

Rickster
07-20-2007, 21:33
I dive the Shockwave LED light and am completely satisfied with it. I have quite a number of dives on it and still using the original batteries.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>How many dives do you think you might have had with it already?</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Sounds like I would get a lot more out of it than my current torch (although that's really only suitable as a secondary).</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Wow that is a good question. I would say, being conservative, about 25 dives, ranging from 45 min to 1hr20min. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I am going to use the old batteries as a test. and run them for an hour at a time until they go dead. I am courious to see how long they last.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Rick</DIV>

picxie
07-20-2007, 21:46
<DIV>Wow that is a good question. I would say, being conservative, about 25 dives, ranging from 45 min to 1hr20min. </DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I am going to use the old batteries as a test. and run them for an hour at a time until they go dead. I am courious to see how long they last.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Rick</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>25 dives!! On one set of batteries? I AM impressed!!</DIV>

Judestudio
07-20-2007, 22:11
Wow that is a good question. I would say, being conservative, about 25 dives, ranging from 45 min to 1hr20min.
<DIV>http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley3.gifWow, I'm impressed too! Is there a special kind of batteries you use? According to UK and PT, their lights last between 4-10hours depending on the setting....</DIV>

thesmoothdome
07-21-2007, 21:57
PT claims that the batteries on the Shockwave LED will last up to 20 hours on the low setting and 12 hours on high. Not sure about what UK says about the C8Led.

Lucky(AR)
07-22-2007, 00:42
shockwave led
<DIV></DIV>

Rickster
07-22-2007, 07:54
Wow that is a good question. I would say, being conservative, about 25 dives, ranging from 45 min to 1hr20min.
<DIV>http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley3.gifWow, I'm impressed too! Is there a special kind of batteries you use? According to UK and PT, their lights last between 4-10hours depending on the setting....</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>No special Batteries, just Energizers. PT says 20hrs average, on the Shockwave LED, on low,but, I have been running mine on high. I think their run time is very conservative.For the money and the white light it produces, I am sold on it, and highly recommend it.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Rick</DIV>

bperrybap
07-24-2007, 02:18
I'm not saying it works just like a regulated circuit but NiMH (and NiCD) rechargeables (and all types lithium) have a very flat "output voltage curve", meaning they will output a near constant voltage deep into the battery cycle and then suffer a sharp dropoff.

One other thing about the rechargeables is that when the sharp dropoff
occurs, the batteries start giving off lots of Hydrogen gas.

My wife had an Ikelite PCa that exploded underwater as she turned
off the light to switch to a backup light because the light was dimming.

One feature of the regulated supply that UK uses is when the batteries
get low, the output drops off to around 10% of normal. Not enough
to continue a dive but enough to see gauges and get to your backup.
This lower output mode will also reduce the drain on the batteries which
will reduce the amount of hydrogen gas emissions from the batteries.

----
That being said. I currently have the PT miniwave LED light.
In comparison to the UK model the PT is brighter, PT has a wider
beam, but the UK has a bit longer battery life.

I think if I were going to use rechargeables, I'd definitely go with
the UK over the PT though.

For a smaller light with a much tighter beam you may want to consider
the UK SL4 eLED.
Not quite as bright or as wide a beam as the others but can
fit in most BC pockets.

--- bill

picxie
07-24-2007, 03:41
Does anyone know how big the Princeton Tec 3 LED Attitude Light is and if it will fit in a BDC pocket?

thor
07-24-2007, 11:01
Yes, I have it and it fits in my BC pocket. It is quitesmall, just a little larger than a pen light. I have the see-thru greenish model which kind of glows when you turn it on.You can also clip it to your BC.

picxie
07-24-2007, 14:23
Yes, I have it and it fits in my BC pocket. It is quitesmall, just a little larger than a pen light. I have the see-thru greenish model which kind of glows when you turn it on.You can also clip it to your BC.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Excellent, thankyou. Are you happy with it as a backup?</DIV>

bubbles
07-31-2007, 07:32
Will suggest this to Scuba Toys, but by FAR the light that is the most awesome for the money is the Darkbuster. They have either a 13 W HID or a 24W HID, both with rechargeable Lithium ion batteries. They come with different filters, a lantern and a pistol grip, car charger , and home charger. The 24 W I got for close to $300 when it first came out (more expensive now). It is an AMAZING light. The first night dive I took it on I hadn't secured the grip properly and it separated from the canister and took a dive 90+ feet to the bottom. Luckily my dive buddy who was diving doubles went down to retrieve it...but it wasn't difficult. FROM THE BOAT you could see it shining 90 feet below...clearly. IN NEW ENGLAND WATERS. The boat captain said he'd never seen such a strong light...even in comparison to the $800+ modular HID lights. My motto is...the Darkbuster..."takes the night out of night diving"...lol

Wolfie2012
07-31-2007, 09:45
I own the UK light cannon HID. It's a great light and I love it.

Then I bought my wife a Princeton Tech shockwave LED and I'm a bit jealous at the smaller size and weight. She loves the light and it's got great output. Light's not quite as bright as my light cannon but it's more than adequate and is made up for in size and weight.

Krakenn
08-02-2007, 07:51
I know oyu guys like to have all the new stuff but if you cant afford it have you thought of making your own using a Maglight?

Ill attach the website for your reference.

Ill stick with the E-LED Plus but if you aint got the dosh....

http://www.pcmus.com/Dive-Photos/Maglite-Canister-Dive-Light.htm

Krakenn

CompuDude
08-02-2007, 12:22
Cool link! I'll stick with my Salvo, though. ;)

Wolfie2012
08-02-2007, 12:35
That home-made mag-light mod looks pretty sweet!

Soonerwink
08-02-2007, 19:26
I use the PT Shockwave LED and love it. The batteries seem to last forever. I change them once maybe twice a year. All my dive buddies say my light is the easiest to spot in the muck we dive in.