PDA

View Full Version : wet suit help

nimeister
10-23-2007, 16:25
I am a beginner, what is the best wetsuit for southern california and occasionally caribean diving
Thanks,
Nima

dvrdwn321
10-23-2007, 16:37
Check out Pinnacle wet suits. I have used these suits for both work and recreation ( my avatar pic is in a pinnacle) I own three of them. After many suits, my first P was a suprise, they really hit the nail on the head! Thinner in spots for greater mobility and mirren wool around the body core for some real warmth. I have a 4/5 mil Fusion suit that I dive in, just about anyhere. From tropical to the great lakes in the fall. Can't miss, worth the money, plus after you register on-line you get one heck of a warranty. NO I don't work for them! Good luck.

Prouty33
10-23-2007, 16:53
Everyone will give you a different brand that they have that is the best suit around. Plain and simple: go to a LDS and try them on...find one that is comfortable, fits you well, and that you think is in the appropriate price range. Everyone is going to like something different, so trial and error is about the only thing thats really going to work for you. Southern Cal is chilly if I'm not mistaken, so ask around what most divers are using. Personally, if you aren't sure what kind of suit or what thicknesses you might need, I'd rent a few different ones from the LDS to see what brand/thicknesses you are most comfortable in.

cooltravelnews
10-23-2007, 18:22
The wetsuit that fits and keeps you warm is always the best. In cold California a dry suit would be the most comfortable. However, if your name is not Rockafeller or Gates you might choak on the price. I love Bare and their Velocity suits. Their combination of panels and excellent movement characteristics can make up for that buffet you might be carrying around. They hold up and if you do your research on the net the price is great for a Canadian made suit. :smiley20:

Steve Scuba
10-26-2007, 14:19
As already stated, definitely try them on and find the one that fits you the best. But if you don't find one that fits and feels right, you can get a custom suit made for less than you might think.

I also don't think you'll find a suit that will work in both places. Haven't been to the Caribean, but the Caribean in my dreams definitely doesn't require the 7mm suit that I wear up here in NorCal.

ScubaBoy
11-03-2007, 20:59
I'm only a novice, but I know that you won't find a suit that will work for both. Some people don't even need a suit for diving in the tropics, but many wear a 3mm or a 3/2mm, for both warmth and protection.

For southern Cal you might try layering over your 3mm suit, and a hood and gloves can make a big difference.

bubble-head
11-04-2007, 08:26
I love my Bare Artic suit. It would work well for So. Cal. but you would roast in the tropics. The dry suit idea is sound also for So. Cal.

Aspendiver
11-04-2007, 09:28
You might try a 3mm or 4mm for tropics, and then add a 5mm hood/vest, gloves, and booties for SoCal. ANY wetsuit can be too hot in the boat/sun, it's more about comfort and freedom of movement. I've seen people with 7mm diving in Cozumel- they just bring what they have.

Puffer Fish
11-04-2007, 14:39
You might try a 3mm or 4mm for tropics, and then add a 5mm hood/vest, gloves, and booties for SoCal. ANY wetsuit can be too hot in the boat/sun, it's more about comfort and freedom of movement. I've seen people with 7mm diving in Cozumel- they just bring what they have.

Boy, I'm sure not ready to dive in SoCal with 3mm, hooded vest, gloves and booties. I would be ok, if the suit was changed to a 7mm one.

In general, the thicker the suit, the more important fit is... I would suggest getting a good cold weather suit... and wait for a sale on a light weight one....it is sometimes possible, when they change models to get a really good deal on the old ones... I have three suits that were under $100, but they are 4mm and under. My thick suits were tried on first. I would bet, that ST would have one on sale within the next 6 months.

comet24
11-04-2007, 14:44
I have been very happy with Bare. I have three of there suits and am very happy. Different manufactures suits fit differently find the one that fits you. Fit is the most important thing.

alcedama
11-04-2007, 15:31
most of my diving is warm water,i have 2 bare wetsuits 3/2 and 7mm.In n.y. that water can make your toes tingle.Warm water if you like a shorty ok too.

CompuDude
11-04-2007, 19:23
I am a beginner, what is the best wetsuit for southern california and occasionally caribean diving
Thanks,
Nima

As other have noted, there's no such thing as the "best" wetsuit... that's like asking what the best car is... the answer will be different for everyone.

There's no way you can buy one wetsuit for both SoCal and the Caribbean. You'll need one for each... probably a 3mm for the Caribbean and a good 7mm suit for SoCal. And then eventually, you'll probably want a drysuit. SoCal is cold!

Fit overrules most other considerations, but if I had to pick out one wetsuit as "the best" for SoCal, as long as it fits you well, the "best" off-the-rack suit is probably the Xcel SCS Polar 9/6/5 full suit. On local charters, the only ones I see hitting the water for a fourth dive are generally those in that suit (and those in drysuits).

Custom will often give you the actual "best" suit. Arguably the best possible wetsuit for SoCal would be a custom made suit from Wetwear (http://www.wetwear.com/) made from real rubatex neoprene.

Personally, once you get into the 3mm suits, they're all so thin compared to what I'm used to it really doesn't matter which one you choose.

rach
11-04-2007, 19:32
i pretty much do nothing but caribbean diving and use a 3mm made by a waterskiing manufacturer...a lot of people here wear shortys but if you plan on diving at night you might think about the jellys...(because not everyone you dive with will know or remember the protocol)

good luck financing them both...if you live in the socal area i'd buy something heavier first....i can't wait to try a colder water dive!