PDA

View Full Version : cert help

nimeister
10-23-2007, 16:33
Hello
I need to get certified in southern california. Any one know which cert is best naui etc? Also which local businesses in the santa monica area offer good programs? i was looking at scubahaus?
Thanks,
Nima:smiley29:

RoadRacer1978
10-23-2007, 16:57
Hello
I need to get certified in southern california. Any one know which cert is best naui etc? Also which local businesses in the santa monica area offer good programs? i was looking at scubahaus?
Thanks,

As you will find by searching here the consensus on the board is that the cert. agency doesn't matter as much as the quality of the instructors. Find good instructors and you will be much better off than trying to find the best cert. agency.

WaScubaDude
10-23-2007, 17:02
Hello
Thanks,

As you will find by searching here the consensus on the board is that the cert. agency doesn't matter as much as the quality of the instructors. Find good instructors and you will be much better off than trying to find the best cert. agency.

Agreed. See if you can talk with the instructor prior to signing on. See if there is a good fit.

Texas_Aggie06
10-23-2007, 17:21
apparently, LA County Scuba is an awesome agency according to some people over on scubaboard.

Texas_Aggie06
10-23-2007, 17:22
http://www.lascuba.com/

here's the link

jaldrich
10-23-2007, 17:56
Having just been certified, I have to say having a great instructor helped alot. My wife had some troubles with certain excercises and some equipment difficulties that sent her to the surface a few times. The instructor was very patient and helpful and really helped her get the skills down. The instructor for the other class that was there that day, although a nice guy, was more of what I would call an "adventure type" - which is all good, but I don't think he would have been as patient.
It was pure luck we ended up with the instructor that we had, but she really fit the bill for our needs. Knowing what I know now, I would have probably gone back and talked to a few instructors first and maybe get a feel for their styles. So I agree with the other folks here, a good instructor can really make the experience a good one.