PDA

View Full Version : Steel HP 80 for $125, good deal?

terrillja
10-23-2007, 18:01
I'm looking at a steel tank that was listed on craigslist, mfg in 1985, last hydro in 2004, trying to decide if it is a good deal or not.

mike_s
10-23-2007, 18:06
depends on the brand.

doesn't sound too bad though. I think the Divers Direct runs them on sale for $199 new every now and then for price comparison, but often they are more than that at most shops.

JahJahwarrior
10-24-2007, 13:43
It's a good deal. However, be aware that most shops unless you live in Cave Country won't give you a good fill. You'll probably end up with 70 cubic feet of air in the tank at the dive site. If you are going to go with a HP tank, I would advise a larger one, a 100 or a 120, so that you end up with 90 or 110 cubic feet respectively.

Otherwise, make sure to not pay for the fill unless it's up to par. 3442 when cold, or about 3700 hot. If the needle onthe guage isn't at 3700 and the tank feels warm, don't pay. Wait until the tank cools to the same temperature it was before they filled it, and it is atleast at 3442 psi. :) Offer to leave it overnight so they can top it off. Hot filling it to 3700 is not dangerous and won't hurt anyone or anything, seriously. The burst disk will go long before the tank will, and the tank shouldn't go until something like 10K psi. It's just no fun getting to a site and finding you only have 3k psi because the idiot tank monkey filled it to 3442 hot.

terrillja
10-24-2007, 15:09
It's a good deal. However, be aware that most shops unless you live in Cave Country won't give you a good fill. You'll probably end up with 70 cubic feet of air in the tank at the dive site. If you are going to go with a HP tank, I would advise a larger one, a 100 or a 120, so that you end up with 90 or 110 cubic feet respectively.

Otherwise, make sure to not pay for the fill unless it's up to par. 3442 when cold, or about 3700 hot. If the needle onthe guage isn't at 3700 and the tank feels warm, don't pay. Wait until the tank cools to the same temperature it was before they filled it, and it is atleast at 3442 psi. :) Offer to leave it overnight so they can top it off. Hot filling it to 3700 is not dangerous and won't hurt anyone or anything, seriously. The burst disk will go long before the tank will, and the tank shouldn't go until something like 10K psi. It's just no fun getting to a site and finding you only have 3k psi because the idiot tank monkey filled it to 3442 hot.

Yeah, my LDS likes to hot fill tanks, but by the time i get home, my 3k fill is down to 2500-2700. Now I know it will take a bit of time, so I have him hot fill, then wait a while, then have him top them off, instead of having him fill quickly and then leave.

Jipps
10-24-2007, 18:26
yah, not a bad price, just make sure you get a good fat fill. Divers direct sells them new for 199 dollars. It may be a good idea to have a tank inspector go w/ you and look at it, just to give a good opinion, and also have it VIPed before using.

terrillja
10-24-2007, 18:39
I'm thinking I may pass, since it would be in need of a hydro in 2009, and is old enough that the seller believes it is not galvanized. Ideally I'd like a bigger tank anyways.

cheebaweebie
10-24-2007, 21:50
Go new. Check out dive rite express. Bought my steel hp 120s there for 380 something a piece. best tanks I have ever dove

boat
10-30-2007, 19:21
Back in the early 80's, when I learned to dive, the steel tanks were rated at a certain pressure new. After their first hydro the allowable fill pressure was reduced. Is this no longer the case with the new HP steel tanks? I've still got two AL 80's from those days but I like the idea of the HP steel 80's when I replace them.

The tank the OP asked about was made in 85 so what markings would it have on it to show allowable fill pressure anyway?

terrillja
10-30-2007, 19:26
Back in the early 80's, when I learned to dive, the steel tanks were rated at a certain pressure new. After their first hydro the allowable fill pressure was reduced. Is this no longer the case with the new HP steel tanks? I've still got two AL 80's from those days but I like the idea of the HP steel 80's when I replace them.

The tank the OP asked about was made in 85 so what markings would it have on it to show allowable fill pressure anyway?

In the past a tank would be marked with a + if it could be overfilled, but new tanks now are marked with their correct fill pressures. So if it was 3000+, then it could be overfilled to i believe 3200, not sure of the correct overfill pressure. Now a tank just has a fill pressure, no +. Less ambiguity.

boat
10-30-2007, 19:37
Yeah, I just found my old PADI book that I scribbled tank marking notes in. If my notes were correct they said the tanks would be marked with a "pressure" and a + like you said. That the pressure indicated included the allowable overfill pressure when new, and would have to be decreased 10% after the first hydro. (I might have screwed that up though.) All I ever remember seeing back then were 72's and 100's in steel. One seemed too small and the other was a bear to haul around, so we always used the AL 80's. Thanks.