PDA

View Full Version : Vactions/diving/family....

terfmop
10-23-2007, 19:42
I'm a newly certified diver living in the midwest. Since my certification back in May, I've made my way around some various spots here in the midwest (from northern Wisconsin down to Kentucky). So far, I love my new hobby, even if my diving is in quarries or the cold Great Lakes. Someday I'll make it to the coast.
However, I am a single dad raising three kids and taking a week off for a liveaboard would be difficult to arrange. Do some of the various dive destinations offer childcare services? If so, have any of you utilized these services? Anyone have any good suggestions about going diving while on vacation but also taking along non-diving minors?
I don't think I'd know how to feel by diving without my 7mil. :)

Kokomo
10-23-2007, 20:05
How about something like a Disney cruise?

Athena2c
10-23-2007, 22:14
If you are thinking of a Caribbean/Mexican getaway, you can search all-inclusives that include diving. They usually have a kids' program where the kids cam have fun while you are on the boat. You also might want to look into Sea Camp-they do annual family dive programs in different locations (Bonaire, Curacao, Roatan) that have scuba/intro to scuba programs for kids while you are diving. You can just search Sea Camp to find them.

divingmedic
10-24-2007, 01:05
Yes most all inclusive resorts have child care programs and camps. I know that Anthony's Key Resort in Roatan has a great program for kids, but is costly. Fantasy Island Resort in Roatan has a program also. as Athena said search Sea Camp. Also there are the Beaches Resorts, but those cost out the wazoo. I know Cozumel as some good All Inclusive resorts and awesome diving and not very costly. Also search for a resort in Jamaica called FD Resort. Hope this helps.

caroln
10-24-2007, 09:16
The Iberostar in Cozumel had a kids program that seemed really fun. All the kids we saw participating there seemed like they were having a great time, and I could see a parent being able to get away and do a couple of dives while the kids enjoy themselves there. Especially because the Iberostar is far south, so very close to the dive sites, and the Iberostar dive op comes back to the hotel dock between dives so you could check on the kiddos then.

chip
10-24-2007, 12:09
Are there places in Cozumel where you can go snorkeling on your own, or do you need an excursion type deal ?

rsirvine
10-24-2007, 20:54
Try Aruba. Our family went there and there was something for everyone -- diver, non-diver and children. There's a write-up on our website www.scubafamily.ca

divnhank
10-25-2007, 10:41
Check out ClubMed. They have many designed for families with different needs. It's like camp for the family. There is one I took the family to in Eleuthera Bahamas. They have their activites, circus school, whatever, and you have your activities. You all get together for dinner and share the stories of the day.

caroln
10-25-2007, 12:54
Are there places in Cozumel where you can go snorkeling on your own, or do you need an excursion type deal ?

There are places to go on your own. If you see where they take the cruise passengers on snorkeling excursions, it's often the same sites you could swim to from shore for free. We snorkeled at Playa Corona, off the beach at the Iberostar, and a couple of other places. If you get the mapchick dive map of Cozumel, it has a guide to all the snorkeling sites too.