PDA

View Full Version : OMS Slipstream fins

RECDiver
10-23-2007, 20:20
Anyone use the OMS Slipstream fins? They look like the Jet fins I have hanging on the wall in the garage, but these are made of different material. Thanks!!

willardj
10-24-2007, 12:14
Don't have a set but the difference is a lighter material. If you are feet heavy with normal Jet's they will make up for that. I use Jets for my 7mil and Quattro's for my 3mil for propper trim.

Jipps
10-24-2007, 12:24
I havent tried either the jet fins or the OMS fins, but would like to try them out, see how they compare to my splitfins. Anyone know of a shop around central florida that rents them?

Netsloth
10-24-2007, 12:27
I own Slipstreams. I have also owned Jets. The Slipstream fins are in every way superior. They are almost half the weight, more comfortable, and seem to have a snappier flex that, for me at least, translates to good speed with low effort.

I put a set of Manta springs on them, and they are the best fins I've ever owned by far.

medic001918
10-24-2007, 13:40
My wife got a set of slipstreams's with her drysuit since we couldn't find a pair of jets that fit her well with the suit. She loves them and they seem to be a nice pair of fins made from the same mold as the jets. The material is different though.

Shane

WalkinPaul
12-07-2007, 12:40
Facts:
I wear around size 9-10. Usually 9.5, but depends on the bootie. I have a size 10 pair of the hard soled short boot Tilos booties: Tilos Hard Soled Short Booties (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=TilosHardSoleShort)

Questions:
1. What would probably be the best size? XL or L? (why don't they state the size range?)
2. When are they coming out with the large?
3. What size spring strap?
http://forum.scubatoys.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

CompuDude
12-07-2007, 13:15
Facts:
I wear around size 9-10. Usually 9.5, but depends on the bootie. I have a size 10 pair of the hard soled short boot Tilos booties: Tilos Hard Soled Short Booties (http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=TilosHardSoleShort)

Questions:
1. What would probably be the best size? XL or L? (why don't they state the size range?)
2. When are they coming out with the large?
3. What size spring strap?
http://forum.scubatoys.com/images/icons/icon10.gif

I have the same size feet as you.

You want the XL. No brainer.

And yes, XL SlipStreams are nearly identical to XL Jets except made of a slightly lighter, slightly stiffer material. They use the same accessories (such as spring straps) as well. Note that size XXL for the two fins are very different, however... the Jetfin XXL is MUCH larger than the SlipStream XXL. This may be relevant for you if you move to a drysuit and need a larger fin to accommodate rock boots.

I use EZ Spring Straps from DiveSports (http://www.divesports.com/mall/innovative_acc_springstrapsjetfins.asp) for my Jet fins. I would use the same for my SlipStreams had I not purchased them used with ScubaPro spring straps already installed.

My second choice would be the XS Scuba straps from ScubaToys.

LCFrigon
12-11-2007, 09:13
I wear a size 11 shoe...what size would I be looking at to get?

LCFrigon
12-11-2007, 09:16
oops and what size of spring strap should I purchase with them? These will be used for tropical diving..not drysuit. Thanks

CompuDude
12-11-2007, 12:39
I wear a size 11 shoe...what size would I be looking at to get?

Hard to say, as it somewhat depends on your booties.

I wore a pair of 5mm Tilos booties, size 11, over my drysuit socks last weekend:

http://scubatoys.com/store/wetsuits/pics/Tilos_3mmZipTall.jpg

... and I fit fine, if a smidge snugly, in size XL Jet fins (identical to size XL SlipStreams).

So if your booties are any bigger than those booties, you may need a size up (XXL SlipStreams), but if they are the same or smaller, you would probably fit the XL's just fine.

I use these spring straps (http://www.divesports.com/mall/innovative_acc_springstrapsjetfins.asp), there is a sizing chart.

CaribbeanDiver
12-11-2007, 13:37
I have a pair of Jets, XS Scuba Power fins and OMS Slipstreams. I like the Slipstreams better than the other two because they seem to perform better.

terrillja
03-09-2008, 21:22
Anyone use the OMS Slipstream fins? They look like the Jet fins I have hanging on the wall in the garage, but these are made of different material. Thanks!!
Just got back from using my new slipstreams in key largo. They were amazing, rocket fast acceleration when you need it, but not overly tiring. My only gripe is that I have a [very] high arch and top to foot, and they caused my booties to chafe me a bit on the top of my foot, but other than that, I love them. I'm going to try and stuff my ski boots in them to hopefully bend the top of the foot pocket up just a bit.

scubachristo
03-09-2008, 21:49
i just got a pair of these (2 actually) a pair for my DS and a pair for my wetsuit, gonna try the Drysuit pair out this weekend

SHAGGY
03-10-2008, 07:32
I got a pair for my drysuit and they are one of the few fins available to fit my drysuit boots, but then again they are XXL. They work well for my drysuit, but I still prefer my twin jets for wet diving.

shaggy

Zenagirl
03-10-2008, 07:34
I have a pair of medium Jets that I wear without booties to dive. Since we're going to Bonaire this summer, I was forced to buy booties and will wear my husband's small Mares Quattros for this trip. I've already decided if I don't like his Quattros, I'm going to buy a pair of large Slipstreams to wear with my booties for the future. My Jets are simply too negative, but I love that they are short, wide, and stiff....which will make the Slipstreams a perfect alternative. ;)

jeepbrew
03-10-2008, 08:57
I am interested in getting a pair of these. I see that others are using a different brand of spring for their fins. Is there any reason not to just order them with the OMS springs? Are the others of better quality?

Currently I use Apollo BioFin XTs with Apollo springs. I used to have Jetfins and there are times when I miss them. This seems to be a great alternative.

frankc420
03-10-2008, 09:02
The question in these threads about OMS slipstreams should be...

Has anyone that has owned them disliked them? :) I love mine!

terrillja
03-10-2008, 10:03
I am interested in getting a pair of these. I see that others are using a different brand of spring for their fins. Is there any reason not to just order them with the OMS springs? Are the others of better quality?

Currently I use Apollo BioFin XTs with Apollo springs. I used to have Jetfins and there are times when I miss them. This seems to be a great alternative.
I have the OMS spring straps, and I have been very happy with them.

Chad
03-10-2008, 10:14

I also have the oms spring straps and love them. They have a wider heel cushion that is more comfortable than the other spring straps.

mark44883
03-10-2008, 10:20
they look fast!!!wish i had a set.

terrillja
03-10-2008, 10:25
they look fast!!!wish i had a set.
They actually look kind of comical next to a more "standard fin" like a dacor black tiger or mares quattro, since they are short and WIDE. One thing though, if you want to turn quickly, making a scissoring motion turns you on a dime, a real plus for wreck diving.

WV Diver
03-10-2008, 10:28
I am thinking I am going to order a pair of these in the next couple days. I will let you all know what I think.

jeepbrew
03-10-2008, 17:49
Thanks to the two that chimed in about the OMS spring straps. I just wanted to make sure they weren't of poor quality. I will probably go ahead and order a set. I am addicted to ScubaToys!

WV Diver
03-11-2008, 06:12
They have been ordered and are on the way. I hope I get to use them before the end of April but we will see what the weather holds in store for me. I will take them to the pool for sure before then.

CompuDude
03-11-2008, 20:13

If you have the Biofin straps, you might like the EZ Spring straps made for Jets. They're cheap (~$30), and very similar to the Biofin springs (same rubber heel cup, and a pull loop). That's what I use on my Jets.

jeepbrew
03-11-2008, 22:02

If you have the Biofin straps, you might like the EZ Spring straps made for Jets. They're cheap (~$30), and very similar to the Biofin springs (same rubber heel cup, and a pull loop). That's what I use on my Jets.

Well I wish you had seen this and replied earlier. I ordered them with OMS springs about 2 hours before you posted... Oh well!

texdiveguy
03-11-2008, 22:06

Well I wish you had seen this and replied earlier. I ordered them with OMS springs about 2 hours before you posted... Oh well!

The OMS springs are good quality!

CompuDude
03-12-2008, 11:52
Yup, there's no problem with the OMS springs whatsoever. Good quality.

Comparatively expensive, and no pull loop, but those aren't deal breakers at this point.

texdiveguy
03-12-2008, 12:58

Comparatively expensive, and no pull loop, but those aren't deal breakers at this point.

I prefer not having a loop of any sort at the heel of my foot while diving.

jeepbrew
03-12-2008, 13:28

I have found the pull loop on my Apollo fins to be quite helpful at times. Not to pull the fins off, but I have used the loop to clip my fins to a D-ring on my BC. It is especially helpful in rough seas... say 12 ft rolling waves. I have been in several off-shore experiences when it was challenging enough to hold on to the boat ladder and climb out. It would be even more challenging to do it with fins on. And nobody wants to throw a fin up to a crew member only to have that person drop your fin and it sink to the bottom of the ocean (I have seen that happen as well).

So, without rambling any more, those loops serve a great purpose for me at times...

terrillja
03-12-2008, 14:01

I'd agree, less to get snagged. My dad has the loops on his c-straps, but he may remove them so they are more clean. I never had any trouble with getting my slipstreams off, just put my hand in next to the outside of my foot and pull back. No issues at all, 1 handed operation.

CompuDude
03-12-2008, 14:10

I'd agree, less to get snagged. My dad has the loops on his c-straps, but he may remove them so they are more clean. I never had any trouble with getting my slipstreams off, just put my hand in next to the outside of my foot and pull back. No issues at all, 1 handed operation.

All but one pair of my fins have pull loops. I prefer having them over not having them, but it's not a huge deal: Set two out in front, and I know which I'll grab, but I'm not picky otherwise.

I have never had a "snagging" problem with the pull loops, nor has anyone I've ever asked. I've heard it mentioned as a "possible" concern, but honestly, if a small rubber pull loop on your heel is your biggest concern re entanglement, you're doing quite well. I'm all for eliminating risk, but at some point, reality is more important.

My GUE instructor had zero issues with my spring strap's pull loops. That, plus ordinary common sense, is good enough for me.

ReefHound
03-12-2008, 14:12
I think the loop is a non issue.

As for using it to clip off, anything you could use to clip through the loop you could use to clip through the bigger loop created by the springs themselves.

As for getting snagged, I've never seen anyone come close to getting snagged by the loop. That borders on paranoia when you consider all the odd shaped bulky gear we carry.

terrillja
03-12-2008, 15:24
I think the loop is a non issue.

As for using it to clip off, anything you could use to clip through the loop you could use to clip through the bigger loop created by the springs themselves.

As for getting snagged, I've never seen anyone come close to getting snagged by the loop. That borders on paranoia when you consider all the odd shaped bulky gear we carry.
Somehow my dad had hooked it under a boat seat on our boat. If he tried to do it a thousand times he could probably never do it again. Then again, he manages to take every piece of gear and mangle it somehow. We have established that I lead with the reel since he always tangles them, he has also lost 1 fin without realizing it, then did it again and we found the fin. (before he had spring straps). How he didn't realize he lost the fin is beyond me.

I'd agree that the chance of them getting stuck is close to none, but give anything to my dad and he will find some way to get it tangled.

ReefHound
03-12-2008, 15:31
I've gotten fins of all types hung up on stuff in the gear bag or on the boat. I'm not concerned about that. It's underwater where I am concerned about snagging and I just don't see where it's a risk to even worry about.

texdiveguy
03-12-2008, 16:58
Like I have always said....you gotta dive whats warm and fussy to you :) ........ I eliminate the shear chance of a snag at the heel which would not be the place you ever want it to occur in terms of correction. Entanglements in general just like DCS and OOG and a host of other possible diving situations are all rare, but it does not mean we should not be pro-active in our approaches...hey JMO...what do I know.

jeepbrew
03-12-2008, 20:43

Not the clip that I have on my D-ring. Sure, I could get a bigger clip with a bigger opening, but I don't want to. :)

ReefHound
03-12-2008, 22:08
You have a pic of this clip and how you clip it off?

jeepbrew
03-13-2008, 12:45

I can certainly take a picture and post it for you this evening.

jeepbrew
03-14-2008, 20:28

I will apologize in advance, but this is a dark picture. My garage is not well lit at night and all of my gear is black... not a good combo. Either way, it gives you an idea of what I was talking about. I like to clip off the fins when climbing a boat ladder in rough seas or when shore diving (just so I don't have to carry my fins, float, flag, reel, etc...).

Click on picture below to enlarge:

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/9269/pict0005ew7.th.jpg (http://img230.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pict0005ew7.jpg)

jeepbrew
03-14-2008, 23:26
Well $hit! UPS dropped off my XL Slipstreams this evening and I think they will end up being too small. I wear a size 10-11 bootie (have both soft and hard sole booties, 5mm & 7mm). The 7mm hard sole booties don't fit well in the XL fins. I am thinking I will have to replace them with XXLs. FYI, these XLs actually seem to have a smaller pocket than my Apolo BioFins (Size L).

WV Diver
03-15-2008, 06:51
I wear a size 10 shoe. I just got my slipstreams also and they are perfect for my shore diving boots and just a little tiny bit loose with my boat booties but overall I think they will be just fine. Then I only wear 3mm shore boots.

jeepbrew
03-15-2008, 07:24
I wear a size 10 shoe. I just got my slipstreams also and they are perfect for my shore diving boots and just a little tiny bit loose with my boat booties but overall I think they will be just fine. Then I only wear 3mm shore boots.

What size Slipstream did you order?

WV Diver
03-15-2008, 07:28

What size Slipstream did you order?XL of course, sorry I should have said.

jeepbrew
03-15-2008, 08:47

Well I assumed XL based on your response to my comment. I just wanted to make sure.

With size 11 7mm Henderson Insta Dry boots, I can only get half of my foot in the fin pocket. That just doesn't seem right. When I put my size 10 5mm ScubaPro boots on, the only part of my foot sticking out of the fin pocket is my heel. That feels much better. So, I guess if I want to wear my thicker boots in these fins, I am going to have to step up to a XXL.

WV Diver
03-15-2008, 08:58

Well I assumed XL based on your response to my comment. I just wanted to make sure.

With size 11 7mm Henderson Insta Dry boots, I can only get half of my foot in the fin pocket. That just doesn't seem right. When I put my size 10 5mm ScubaPro boots on, the only part of my foot sticking out of the fin pocket is my heel. That feels much better. So, I guess if I want to wear my thicker boots in these fins, I am going to have to step up to a XXL.

Sounds right. Go to the XXL.

I would bet that you can ditch the 5mm boots all together and wear the 7mm all the time without your feet getting too warm.

terrillja
03-15-2008, 09:15
I would bet that you can ditch the 5mm boots all together and wear the 7mm all the time without your feet getting too warm.
I dive with the 6mm bare ice boots (sz10) anytime I dive wet, haven't had any issues with being too warm, and they fit well in the xxl slipstream.

IrishSquid
03-15-2008, 10:18

I recently purchased a pair and got to try them out in the pool yesterday.
:smiley20:
I wear a size 9 - 9.5; so I got the XL, which fits fine. They are made and designed by an evil, sadistic, genius! Bejeezus, how did putting these fins on, create muscles in my ankles and lower legs I never had?
:icon_smile_big:
Talk about sore. It isn't the fins fault actually. I've always used split fins and must've gotten soft in my old age. Anyway, these suckas are great!
A few more sessions with them should get rid of MY weaknesses. Very responsive with plenty of power, and they just exude macho!:smiley2:

WV Diver
03-15-2008, 10:56
I dive with the 6mm bare ice boots (sz10) anytime I dive wet, haven't had any issues with being too warm, and they fit well in the xxl slipstream.

Exactly my point.

WV Diver
03-15-2008, 11:02
and they just exude macho!:smiley2:

Well...........................and then there is that......................which is always a plus. :smiley4:

jeepbrew
03-15-2008, 11:46

I have full intentions of doing so. I just got the 7mm boots 4 days ago... haven't had a chance to dive with them yet.

FYI, I called up ScubaToys and they are going to ship me the XXL fins. They told me to just return whichever fins I decide I don't want to keep.

WV Diver
03-15-2008, 14:27
That's what is cool about Scuba Toys. When I am unsure of sizes I often ask them to send me two different sizes and return the one I don't want.

jeepbrew
03-19-2008, 21:32
Well the XXL Slips are huge. They flop all around on my feet. I could probably put size 14+ feet in these bad boys. So, I guess the XXLs will be getting returned. I will either make the XLs work or just stick with my Apollo Biofins.

jeepbrew
03-19-2008, 21:44
Well just for the heck of it, I went ahead and installed a spring strap on each fin. The XXL is still huge (as you can see in the picture... it is on the left in case you can't tell) and the XL fits MUCH better. Not much more than my heel sticks out at this point. Is this about how everyone else's Slips fit?

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/3320/pict0030la1.th.jpg (http://img404.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pict0030la1.jpg)

One more question to those that have been diving in them. Do the fin pockets "break in" and stretch / loosen up a bit?

Edit: This picture comes complete with some of my 3 year old's coloring work and a view of my pajama pants.

CompuDude
03-19-2008, 22:15
The XL looks about right, and the XXL looks too big on you.

I haven't dove my Slips enough to know if they loosen up or not, but I'd be inclined to doubt it. They're pretty strong, and since they're all one material, if the pocket loosened rapidly, the rest would be floppy in short order as well.

jeepbrew
03-19-2008, 22:38
The XL looks about right, and the XXL looks too big on you.

I haven't dove my Slips enough to know if they loosen up or not, but I'd be inclined to doubt it. They're pretty strong, and since they're all one material, if the pocket loosened rapidly, the rest would be floppy in short order as well.

Thanks for your input. They way I look at it is they are only $80 (plus the cost of straps), so I will just give them a shot. If I don't like them, I will sell them and recoup some of my costs and then just go back to diving my Biofins full-time.

CompuDude
03-20-2008, 00:41
Sounds good, if you're game for it. You're aware that the flutter kick is not the ideal kick for Jet-style fins, right? Just want to make sure you give them a fair shake... if you try to swim your Slips like bio-fins, you're NOT gonna be happy with them. :)

jeepbrew
03-20-2008, 09:16
You're aware that the flutter kick is not the ideal kick for Jet-style fins, right? Just want to make sure you give them a fair shake... if you try to swim your Slips like bio-fins, you're NOT gonna be happy with them. :)

Yup. I used to dive ScubaPro Jets. The only reason I stopped using them was a puppy chewed them up a few years ago...
The only thing that would make me not like the Slips is if they hurt my feet from being too tight/small. So far I think I will be okay. I will post back after this weekend. I will be doing 14+ hrs of diving over the weekend so I should have a real good idea about how I feel about them by Monday AM.

j1j2j38
09-17-2009, 00:06
Just got the slipstreams with oms spring straps and will try them out in a week or two. They seem pretty but hard to say outside of the water. They're definitely much stiffer and shorter than my velocity duos. The spring straps are pretty nice. I went with XL fins and L straps and wear a size 10.5 shoe. I'm wearing them with 5mm wetsuit booties. I might be able to squeeze a thicker boot in if I get a rockboot at some point, but would maybe need the next size up.

remix
09-24-2009, 01:21
whats the proper way of safe keeping these fins?

CompuDude
09-24-2009, 12:35
whats the proper way of safe keeping these fins?

Don't run over them with a car? Don't leave them where they're likely to get stolen?

They're fins. Made of strong plastic. I wouldn't worry about them.

rongoodman
09-29-2009, 05:36
LeisurePro has the L Slipstreams in stock now. I got a pair from my LDS and am looking forward to trying them out next week in Bonaire.

tomich
10-25-2009, 06:59
Does anybody know if they ever plan on coming out with MEDIUMS?

DevilDiver
10-25-2009, 08:07
They do Make them in "M". It's just harder to find an LDS that stocks the size, should have no problem getting them special ordered.

OMS Drysuit Fins s (http://www.omsdive.com/fin.html)

rongoodman
10-25-2009, 11:03
Both M and L have been on their web site for at least 3 years, but were just vaporwear. The L finally appeared at the end of this summer but I've never heard of the M actually existing. Tomich, what's your shoe size? I'm a Euro 42-43 and L fits well over 5mm wetsuit boots or DUI ML Turbosoles.

They work like a charm, by the way. Compact and stiff, they're great for frog kicking, and make backing up easy. Just remember to get a set of spring straps--I like the ones from XS Scuba.