PDA

View Full Version : compass differences and preferences.

terfmop
10-23-2007, 22:19
I have an old gauge console, which has an old compass (circa 1992). I don't claim to be any expert at navigation, but it seems as if my compass is difficult to read at times and it seems as if it has to be absolutely level to read correctly. I can usually 'make do' with it, but I was curious about what I might expect with a new compass.

From reading a bit around the forum, the Suunto SK7 seems to have been highly rated. What are some other good compasses to look at? Do you prefer console, wrist, clip mounted? Or do you really not use your compass much and could care less? I was thinking about adding to my wrist, my Veo250 is getting lonely.

I dive in midwest lake/quarries most often (read cold and murky at times)

texdiveguy
10-23-2007, 22:22
I have used all types of compasses...but my favorite is a wrist mounted Suunto SK7.

RoadRacer1978
10-24-2007, 05:30
Switching to a wrist mount soon. I have a new compass on my three guage console and it sits at the top slightly tilted backward from the other guages. I have the hardest time getting the compass level. I think it would be much easier if it were mounted on my wrist.

ian
10-24-2007, 10:11
The Suunto is a fine compass. I prefer the Sherwood, though:

Compass Module, Accessories: Compass, Genesis, Compass Module (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=CompassMod)

Here's a link to the Suunto SK7:

Suunto - SK-7 Story - SK-7 Compass - Diving Instruments (http://www.suunto.com/suunto/main/product_long.jsp?CONTENT%3C%3Ecnt_id=1013419867394 1508&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=9852723697223379&bmUID=1147024784037)

The gimbaling is going to be better on newer compasses. The angle at which tey operate will be larger and the compass will rotate much easier. Eventually, with a lot of use, compasses wear out at the point at which they swivel.

I like the Sherwood because it seems to be easier on my eyes than the SK7. As far as quality, they are both in the same class. As far as $, the Sherwood is a bit easier on the wallet.

My 2 cents worth...

Capt Hook
10-24-2007, 10:23
The Sunnto SK7 is the best Ive seen yet, especially like the retractor version.

Jipps
10-24-2007, 10:28
for a stand alone compass i agree, go with the SK7. I would mount it on a retractor on ur BC shoulder strap, sometimes its inconvenient to get ur wrist perfectly flat and at the right angle to view the compass.

MSilvia
10-24-2007, 10:42
SK-7 wrist mount for me. I love that it still spins freely through 30 degrees of tilt!

CaribbeanDiver
10-24-2007, 12:29
I recently bought an Aeris that I clip to my BC with a retractor. On my last dive trip, I found it easy to use and reliable. Cost around $50 from ST minus the discount.
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/accessories/pics/compasstrio.jpg

Jipps
10-24-2007, 12:52
yup, the aeris compasses are nice. I do like the Suunto better though, you get more acurate readings at an angle. which is nice, because u cant always hold it level, lol.

terfmop
10-24-2007, 20:24
Hmmm, tried to find the SK7 on Scuba Toys; the don't seem to carry it. Leisure Pro has them, not sure what region they are for though.

mitsuguy
10-24-2007, 23:10
I am thinking a compass on a retractor stored in a pocket... it's not something I plan on using a lot, but definitely something I need... I figure if I store it in a pocket, but leave a retractor attached to it so I don't lose it when I need it...