PDA

View Full Version : Cheap computer

Wozzer
10-24-2007, 03:13
I'm looking for my first computer, not looking to spend much. I'm considering the Oceanic Veo 180, Mares M1, Uwatec Aladin One, Cressi-Sub Archimede II.

Is the Dacor Darwin the same as the Mares M1?

Any comments on the above computers? I basically picked the cheapest Nitrox computers I could find.

Defman
10-24-2007, 07:33
I think the Dacor & Mares are the same. Have considered buying a used computer?

reservecops
10-24-2007, 08:08
Veo 180 is a great entry level computer with great features and even supports single mix nitrox, has an audible alarm, (if you pick up the cable) can download the data to your computer, and (depending upon the sampling rate you set) can store up to 150 dives.

TRACI
10-24-2007, 08:55
I have the Cressi-Sub Archimede wrist computer, I have been using for almost a year, it is really user friendly, I have no complaints at all. I got it for 250.00 from Leisure Pro. So far , it has been a great computer!

floater
10-24-2007, 09:52
Just make sure that whichever computer you buy has nitrox and gauge modes, and user-changeable batteries. And most people seem to prefer wrist units. I personally like the Oceanic/Aeris deco algorithm because it's more liberal than some of the others.

Air only computers are cheaper of course, but when you start diving nitrox you'll have to upgrade unless you go DIR, leave the comp permanently in gauge mode and just dive according to depth averaging methods.

Jipps
10-24-2007, 10:26
the veo 180 is a good computer, however I would say to go ahead and save up for the 250, has aditional alarms that are handy to have.

reservecops
10-24-2007, 11:14
the veo 180 is a good computer, however I would say to go ahead and save up for the 250, has aditional alarms that are handy to have.Personally, I don't think that there are enough differences between the two units to warrant the extra expense.

They are nearly identical, with the 250 having a few more alarms. The MSRP on the Veo 250 in any configuration is roughtly 25% more than the Veo 180 and, IMHO, you get nothing but a few extra alarms for the $$.

If he's gonna save and get a BETTER unit, then (a) that puts him out of the 'less expensive' price range he wants to stay in and (b) there truly are computers that are BETTER than the Veo 180, but they are not in the price range of the Veo 180.

BobbyWombat
10-24-2007, 12:17
Veo 180 is a great entry level computer with great features and even supports single mix nitrox, has an audible alarm, (if you pick up the cable) can download the data to your computer, and (depending upon the sampling rate you set) can store up to 150 dives.

Second that. Oceanic/Aeris are nice little computers that are less expensive than most of the others. I have a VEO250 and have no complaints. I think it is a great DC.

Definitely go with a nitrox DC, so you don't have to buy another one later.

The data cable is nice, but not truly necessary, so you can hang on to that money, at least.

The VEO DCs can be console or wrist mounted, and have user changable batteries.

Jipps
10-24-2007, 12:18
the veo 180 is a good computer, however I would say to go ahead and save up for the 250, has aditional alarms that are handy to have.Personally, I don't think that there are enough differences between the two units to warrant the extra expense.

They are nearly identical, with the 250 having a few more alarms. The MSRP on the Veo 250 in any configuration is roughtly 25% more than the Veo 180 and, IMHO, you get nothing but a few extra alarms for the $$.

If he's gonna save and get a BETTER unit, then (a) that puts him out of the 'less expensive' price range he wants to stay in and (b) there truly are computers that are BETTER than the Veo 180, but they are not in the price range of the Veo 180.

I agree, but personally I prefer to have the extra alarms. I'm aware that saving up puts him out of a lower price range, but personally I prefer to save a little longer and buy something I most likely wont replace. I dove guages for almost a year before I had saved up to get my Pro Plus 2.

CaribbeanDiver
10-24-2007, 12:24
I am looking for a dive computer. I used a Smart Com and liked it although I do not think it is very user friendly. I gave it to my son who was recently certified.
I want Air Integrated; able to switch between 21% up to 40% EANx; LARGE display since my eyes are old; displays current depth, max depth, water/air temp, pressure, and BT Remaining.
I prefer console with a compass but prefer old fashioned compasses rather than digital compasses.
Of course looking for a million dollar computer but only want to spend much, much less.
Bought an Aeris Elite T3 but the display was too small, it didnt show water temp and didnt show max depth so I sold it at a loss before I even did one dive on it.
Wouldnt mind the Smart Com again but a Thousand bucks seems hefty (computer plus tax).
I looked at the Aeris AI and Oceanic DataMax Pro Plus II but they do not seem to show max depth or water temp. I gotta have max depth because I dive plan on the fly lots of times and that is a necessary piece of info.
Anyone have any recommendations?

reservecops
10-24-2007, 12:30
I'm aware that saving up puts him out of a lower price range, but personally I prefer to save a little longer and buy something I most likely wont replace.Would you have to 'replace' a Veo 180 any sooner than a Veo 250?

IMHO, the answer is a resounding 'No', which is exactly why the only question left for Wozzer to ask himself is: Is it worth the extra $70 to $170 for the SAME computer with a few more alarms?

Again, I say 'No', because his primary concern is price.

BobArnold8265
10-24-2007, 12:35
Check eBay. There are a lot of very nice used computers that will give you lots of features for fewer dollars. There are a lot of people who buy all of their dive gear even before getting certified only to discover that diving is not for them. There's also a lot of people who have to have the latest and greatest thing and will sell a perfectly good computer so they can "upgrade". Either way, there are a bunch of very nice, low usage used computers out there for your consideration !!

reservecops
10-24-2007, 12:48
I looked at the Aeris AI and Oceanic DataMax Pro Plus II but they do not seem to show max depth or water temp. I gotta have max depth because I dive plan on the fly lots of times and that is a necessary piece of info.
Anyone have any recommendations?The Aeris AI has a Max Depth Alarm. I can't imagine a computer with all the features of the AI that does NOT display max depth or water temp. Just because it's not shown on a website doesn't mean it doesn't have the feature.

I believe that Scubatoys Larry dives the AI. I would ask him.

Jipps
10-24-2007, 12:49
I dive with the pro plus 2. It will show you both the water temp and the max depth with the push of a button, they do this so they can keep dislpay the rest of the info w/ big numbers.

Wozzer
10-24-2007, 16:05
Thanks for the advice everyone, I am now also checking out ebay to see if I can get a good deal on something. I think I'm leaning towards a new device though just because of warranty support...

marchand
10-24-2007, 16:21
I'm looking for my first computer, not looking to spend much. I'm considering the Oceanic Veo 180, Mares M1, Uwatec Aladin One, Cressi-Sub Archimede II.

Is the Dacor Darwin the same as the Mares M1?

Any comments on the above computers? I basically picked the cheapest Nitrox computers I could find.

The Dacor Darwin is the same as the Mares M2. For the price I think that the Darwin is a good deal. The size does take a little getting used to, but after a few dives you will hardly notice its there. The batteries are really easy to change and you don't need to buy those darn button cells. Although, the batteries don't last as long as other computers. The display is on the larger size and the back lighting works great.

band
11-05-2007, 14:50
Some people found the buttons on M1 are "hard to press". Is this problem fixed with M2 and Darwin?

kyfriedchipper
11-05-2007, 15:20
I have toyed w/ going w/ the Veo 100 - but lack of Nitrox is pushing me away from that decision - trying not to repeat the scary scuba cycle of purchasing inadequate equipment, then upgrading!

lyonsce
11-06-2007, 07:04
You can also look at the Genesis React Pro. It is a nice basic computer with Nitrox and user replaceable batteries. It is a fairly fully featured non AI computer.

Defman
11-06-2007, 07:47
Check eBay. There are a lot of very nice used computers that will give you lots of features for fewer dollars. There are a lot of people who buy all of their dive gear even before getting certified only to discover that diving is not for them. There's also a lot of people who have to have the latest and greatest thing and will sell a perfectly good computer so they can "upgrade". Either way, there are a bunch of very nice, low usage used computers out there for your consideration !!

I'll ditto this. Picked up a used (3 dives) Sherwood Wisdom with QD & Compass for a couple hundred less than any advertised price I could find.

geoff127
11-06-2007, 18:34
I dive a Aeris XR1 Nx and it's not a bad little unit for 200 bucks.

The display is nice and large, it does a fairly good job of displaying all the information you want within 1 or 2 taps of the button and once you get use to the menus it actually is easy to use. Plus, it is air and nitrox to 40%.

For a first computer I've been very happy with it, and once I finally learned how to use it I've had no complaints.

CompuDude
11-06-2007, 19:17
I am looking for a dive computer. I used a Smart Com and liked it although I do not think it is very user friendly. I gave it to my son who was recently certified.
I want Air Integrated; able to switch between 21% up to 40% EANx; LARGE display since my eyes are old; displays current depth, max depth, water/air temp, pressure, and BT Remaining.
I prefer console with a compass but prefer old fashioned compasses rather than digital compasses.
Of course looking for a million dollar computer but only want to spend much, much less.
Bought an Aeris Elite T3 but the display was too small, it didnt show water temp and didnt show max depth so I sold it at a loss before I even did one dive on it.
Wouldnt mind the Smart Com again but a Thousand bucks seems hefty (computer plus tax).
Anyone have any recommendations?

All computers show max depth, you may just have to press a button to change screens to see it.

If your eyes are a problem, the Oceanic Pro Plus 2 is hard to beat. The only other comp I can think of with as big of a display is the $1500 Uwatec Galileo Sol.

rfreddo
11-06-2007, 22:55
Some people found the buttons on M1 are "hard to press". Is this problem fixed with M2 and Darwin?

I have not dived the M2 with gloves on yet, but based on button resistance without gloves, I assume it is not going to be very easy. Even out of the water with no gloves on the button resistance is very high. This is the one major con I've come up with on the M2. Otherwise I really like it.

reeldive
11-23-2007, 14:32
I have toyed w/ going w/ the Veo 100 - but lack of Nitrox is pushing me away from that decision - trying not to repeat the scary scuba cycle of purchasing inadequate equipment, then upgrading!

Got 2 veo 100 and one veo10 nx have had excelent luck with them1 I dive 100+/yr. The veo 100 nx does nitrox and has a gage mode. No audiable alarms and only stores the last 12 dives. The veo 100 is air only but shows the date of the last 12 stored dives. Buying another veo 100 nx so that the wife and I both have a backup in the water with us. We do a lot of dive trips and local dives and don't want to have to stay dry for 24hrs because of a failure.
Had Sherwood Profiles before. Had two failures during dives. One the result of flooding and the other a overheated battery. The back cover on that one got soft took on a little water then ruptured outward upon accent. The oceanic look to be the same case/computer as the Profiles but haven't had a problem with them yet. I lost a third while playing victum durring a rescue class.

Kabniel
11-27-2007, 14:11
I dived with the M1 for a year and loved it. Big display, cheap user-changeable batteries :smiley20: just watch out for the o-ring when you change the batteries :smiley9: