PDA

View Full Version : How do you clean your ears?

Venio
07-18-2007, 09:26
At the OW checkout dives this weekend Patrick was using alcohol to dry his ears, but before that there was one other solution he was using. I'm almost sure it was Hydrogen Peroxide, though I want to ask first before I pour something in my ears that may drill holes in them.

Thanks!

mwhities
07-18-2007, 09:54
If I need to clean my ears, I got to my ENT.

Otherwise, I try to keep infections away with a 50%/50% solution of distilled vinegar and water. Squirt it into my ears before a dive, wait five minutes on each side, go dive, finish the dive, 5 minutes of my solution in each ear again.

Michael

Cichlid
07-18-2007, 10:05
Is that part of every dive routine, or as needed?

jacewindu
07-18-2007, 10:10
50/50 vinegar, rubbing alcohol - works like a charm because it doesn't dry your ears out too much, so you can use it often without problems

i've been a swimmer and used it for a countless number of years without any problems, and the same has been true for diving.

mwhities
07-18-2007, 10:20

BOTH!

Dive routine and it's needed every time. ;)

Michael

reservecops
07-18-2007, 10:20

Typically, yes, but especially in fresh water (where bacteria tends to grow better).

TommyB
07-18-2007, 11:04
Went to the Dr's. Office yesterday.
Left ear he pulled like 1/4 lb of black tar wax out of it.
(what I don't understand is when I was there 1 month ago why he did not get that wax out when I got my diving physical)
No wonder I was having hard time getting ears to equalize.

Reason for visit, hurt my right ear on the OW dives at CSSP on the 15th.
Some reason right ear would not equalize right on the 2nd day.
I guess I has a block / squeeze , pinched my nose, and blew way tooo hard.
Can you say freight train hitting the breaks at 100 MPH, then loud pop)
(what it sounded like anyway)

So now I have barotrauma in Right ear :)

Anyone ever try to set an appointment up with an ENT.. Let's just say that the earliest anyone can see me is Mid-August. Glad I'm not dying or anything serious like a hole in the ear..(could be, but I doubt my GP would even know.
He cleaned some wax out, gave me 2 kinds of spays and some script, says "yep, little blood behind the eardrum and sent me on my way..

(Yea, I'm a DAN member, sent them a note.. The ENT they said to go see is the one that can not see me until Mid-august. Glad I paid 184 yearly membership for that :) ....Not their fault, but would have thought there would be more then 1 diving ENT in the whole entire collin county
(plano / allen / frisco / McKinney etc etc)

Oh well, sorry Venko.. Did not meant to steal your thread.. :)

cummings66
07-18-2007, 18:38
Any ENT could treat you, you don't need one for dive medicine at this point in time. Did your GP think you needed to see one?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I suspect you've now learned the hard way that gentle is how we do it, and often. Start at the surface and do it often as you go down, well before you feel the pressure.</DIV>

HoosierDaddy
07-18-2007, 21:46
Go pick up Swimmer Ear at any Drug Store or Pharmacy. It will dry out the water left in your ear after a dive. It may also kill some bacteria. That is what I use, not everytime, but often.

ScubaSteve
07-18-2007, 22:46
I've always had good luck with the 50/50 alcohol/vinegar mix also. Lakes and quarries are notorious for bacteria. Be especially cautious if you have piercings, particularly in cartilage (ears). My wife picked up a nasty infection in this area in one of her ears a few years back while doing her AOW at Travis. Landed her in the hospital for a few days and had to have surgery. The ear survived, but the piercings had to go.

CompuDude
07-18-2007, 23:07
50/50 vinegar, rubbing alcohol - works like a charm because it doesn't dry your ears out too much, so you can use it often without problems

i've been a swimmer and used it for a countless number of years without any problems, and the same has been true for diving.

Yes, 50-50 white wine vinegar and rubbing alcohol.

I use it after every dive. At least, I did after I started getting a series of ear infections. Since I started, not a single one. Until two weeks ago... got busy and forgot for the first time in a year. Yup, you guessed it, a few days later, BAM, and since then I've been on antibiotics and have to stay dry until Saturday. smileys/smiley6.gif

It's a very good idea for people who are prone to swimmers ear. Lots of people don't seem to get them, but if you're one who does (like me), it's a super-simple way of keeping the pills away. :-)

I've read a number of reports recommending against the commercial "swim ear" product, however, which is 95% alcohol and can severely dry out your inner ear tissues. The mix of white wine vinegar and rubbing alcohol seems to be just the right combination of PH balance and drying, according to various doctors I've spoken to.

tc_rain
07-19-2007, 14:39
Q-tips http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley4.gif

Joew
07-19-2007, 15:14
I've never had any problems with my ears, but I know people who use the vinegar/alcohol mix and swear by it. I know a guy who carries it in a baby bottle. He looks ridiculous, but the rubber nipple makes an affective applicator.

Venio
07-19-2007, 15:32
Q-tips http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley4.gif

I've heard that q-tips are big NO NO. However, no one mention anything about the Hydrogen Peroxide. I'd prefer to use it if it helps rather than the vinegar.

cgvmer
07-19-2007, 15:35
My 3 kids are competitive swimmers and get wet 5-7 days a week, they have used hydrogen peroxide when they felt water was in their ears and it seemed to help.

jacewindu
07-19-2007, 15:36
be careful with the store-bought swimmers' ear - it can dry your ears out so much that it becomes very uncomfortable if you use it too often.

i've never had problems with q-tips either; just don't jam them deep into the ear canal

CompuDude
07-19-2007, 15:43
50-50 white wine vinegar and rubbing alcohol. Really.

http://diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=48 (http://divers&#097;lertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=48)

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=49 (http://www.divers&#097;lertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=49)

TommyB
07-19-2007, 18:50
Any ENT could treat you, you don't need one for dive medicine at this point in time. Did your GP think you needed to see one?
<div></div>
<div>I suspect you've now learned the hard way that gentle is how we do it, and often. Start at the surface and do it often as you go down, well before you feel the pressure.</div>

Yep, learned the hardway.
ENT says,
Now no flying, diving etc for 2 weeks.
Gave me some spray, some predisone, said come back in a week.
Right ear is full of blood.

cyclical
07-19-2007, 22:19
sometimes after a dive if I use Swimmers Ear or something like that... my ear burns really bad.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I don't think that's a good thing.. </DIV>

thesmoothdome
07-20-2007, 00:40
<DIV></DIV>Auro-dri works well. I used to make my ownform of it out of 80%isopropyl alcohol and boric acid. If I don't use somethingafter every dive I get bad swimmer's ear and it sucks.

gunnarman
07-20-2007, 19:24
yes, patrick had hydrogen peroxide. i was there when he said it.

cutter77
07-22-2007, 17:36
Alcohol/Vinegar 50/50 ~ I put it in one ear for 5 minutes...turn and same with other ear just before bedtime. No problems thus far!

Rascal1933
07-22-2007, 18:40
What?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Yep... use the same as previous postings here:</DIV>
<DIV>Alcohol/Vinegar 50/50 </DIV>

jacewindu
07-22-2007, 19:28
Alcohol/Vinegar 50/50 ~ I put it in one ear for 5 minutes...turn and same with other ear just before bedtime. No problems thus far!

Wow, 5 minutes seems like quite a long time - usually a quick rinse for about 10-15 seconds per ear after each dive is good for me.

occasionally if it got bad i'd go one minute per ear and that would be fine. anyways, just trying to save you some time... :)

Lucky(AR)
07-22-2007, 23:25
vinegar and alchol( rubbing that is )...the best thing out there mix 50/50

CompuDude
07-23-2007, 12:26

Wow, 5 minutes seems like quite a long time - usually a quick rinse for about 10-15 seconds per ear after each dive is good for me.

occasionally if it got bad i'd go one minute per ear and that would be fine. anyways, just trying to save you some time... :)

Read the DAN articles I posted above.

Some people are more prone to ear infections than others. A quick rinse may be working for you, in which case you're lucky. For those highly prone to ear infections, the full treatment is called for.

94GTStang
07-23-2007, 13:42
I don't use anything at all... I suppose that's bad...

CompuDude
07-23-2007, 13:47

Only if you're getting ear infections. Like I said, some people are very prone to getting them after every dive if they don't use something to prevent it, and other people never get one.

If it hasn't been an issue, it probably won't be. Bodies change over time, however, it's good to know the info in case you start getting infections and need the knowledge in the future. Meanwhile, no need to start using a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.

94GTStang
07-24-2007, 00:26

Only if you're getting ear infections. Like I said, some people are very prone to getting them after every dive if they don't use something to prevent it, and other people never get one.

If it hasn't been an issue, it probably won't be. Bodies change over time, however, it's good to know the info in case you start getting infections and need the knowledge in the future. Meanwhile, no need to start using a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.
Ahh... that's right. Makes perfect sense. I do however carry some over the counter swimmers ear drops just in case anyone needs them. The safety seal is still on it. I'm just lucky to be the diver I am. I don't get sea sick, no problems getting down, no ear infections, don't get cold, etc. I just act like a 5 year old at the toy store when I get in the water smileys/smiley36.gif

DUnder
07-25-2007, 14:05
I use what most every one else is using, 50/50 mix of Alcohol and White Vinegar.

texdiveguy
07-25-2007, 16:29
I use what most every one else is using, 50/50 mix of Alcohol and White Vinegar.

Ditto!

Disneymom
07-25-2007, 20:52
How often can you use the 50/50 mixture - daily?

Doug B
07-25-2007, 21:39
I clean my ears once a year, whether they need it or not...
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>I use a pen from my cube-mate's desk at work... the one he is always putting in his mouth!http://www.scubatoys.com/forum/smileys/smiley2.gif</DIV>

CompuDude
07-26-2007, 03:48
How often can you use the 50/50 mixture - daily?
Use it at the end of the dive day, once you've finished diving. So once per day is all you need.

DiverBry
07-26-2007, 23:24
Another thing that helps is to dry your ears just a quickly as you can after getting out of the water, since bacteria thrive in warm, moist environments.

There are inexpensive ear driers (battery powered) available that gently blow air in your ear canal until they are dry (sort of like those air hand driers in public restrooms).

Drying your ears thoroughly keeps the bacteria colony from getting started in the first place.