PDA

View Full Version : wife thinking on getting into scuba...

coralcrazed
10-24-2007, 09:13
hey guys... I purchased a whole bunch of stuff for me and now my wife wants to get her own and scuba as well. She never wanted to until now... I guess she sees that I'm shoping for myself and wants to shop for her as well :)

other than this part of scubatoys forum... is there any other support system that I can refer my wife to in terms of scuba for woman... In other words is there any magazine, publication, or web sites that she would appreciate? thanks for all of your help...

BobbyWombat
10-24-2007, 12:19
Dive Training magazine does a lot of articles pertinent to new divers. The current issue has an article on understanding fear. Also some useful tips for new divers and an "as an instructor" section.

You might pick up a copy and see what she thinks.

chace_nicole
10-24-2007, 13:37
Thats great news! Now you guys can dive together!
I can't think of anything women specific, but as above poster stated, dive training mag is good. I also like the magazine, scuba diving. I was glad to see many women featured in their articles & pictures and not just the ads for the guys to look at. This site had been my best source & I'm a newer diver.

cheebaweebie
10-24-2007, 22:00
Chase_nicole, I see your from OK. What kind of diving do you do in OK. Is it mainly cave diving or what... or do you take trips to the east or west coast to dive ?

caroln
10-25-2007, 10:22
That's really exciting that your wife wants to dive. The keys to her enjoying it are her comfort level in the water, and with her instructor. When my husband decided he'd join me in diving, I knew he was comfortable in the water, so I made sure to put him with an instructor I knew and knew he'd get along with and be able to work well with. For a guy who wouldn't even swim in the ocean when I met him, he's now a rescue diver, and enjoys diving even here where it's cold and lower viz.

coralcrazed
10-25-2007, 11:00
thanks to all that responded... we are pricing out a package deal now for her... she is getting excited.

chace_nicole
10-25-2007, 13:54
Chase_nicole, I see your from OK. What kind of diving do you do in OK. Is it mainly cave diving or what... or do you take trips to the east or west coast to dive ?

Murky green lake what diving :)
I've never been diving outside of Oklahoma, besides a discover scuba dive in Coz. I would love to travel to both east & west coast.
I graduate in Dec so travel will be something I do more often.

~Chace

Vegas
10-25-2007, 13:59
That's a beautiful thing!

My sweetheart got certified about 2 years ago...before we started diving together he had logged about 20 dives I think.

I got certified in April - together we've logged over 50 dives since then.

:)

It is....it's such a beautiful thing!

mitsuguy
10-25-2007, 16:45

Murky green lake what diving :)
I've never been diving outside of Oklahoma, besides a discover scuba dive in Coz. I would love to travel to both east & west coast.
I graduate in Dec so travel will be something I do more often.

~Chace

don't waste your time with US coast diving - if you travel that kind of distance to dive, go ahead and go Caribbean at least... haven't been to the east coast to dive and I'm sure there is some cool stuff out there, but if I am paying for plane tickets, I'm flying somewhere pretty :)

Disneymom
10-25-2007, 19:10
Good Luck to your wife, Coral. I second the Dive Training mag suggestion. It is full of excellent articles. You guys will have a great time diving together.

Kokomo
10-25-2007, 19:39
I think that the best support for your wife is you. My husband was into diving before me and encouraged me and we have a great time doing it together now!

cyclone
10-25-2007, 20:05
Scuba Board offers them all for free. This is where I got most of the the information that I need.

skippy11
10-29-2007, 23:21
My hubby and I are going through the same thing. I certified and he didn't. He has recently decided to get his OW (I think he didn't like the idea of me having a dive buddy that wasn't him.) Anyways, he has been reading every article he can get his hands on. The best thing we have come accros (besides each other and magazine articles) the Padi pre-certification video.

My husband registered to take the OW class and the Dive Shop sent a DVD home w/ us that he is suppose to watch before class begins. The DVD was very helpful. It talked about areas which may be frustrating at first or a little terrifying. Anyways, it helped him see that he was not alone. Other people have a lot of the same Concerns as a new diver.

lovesmexico615
10-30-2007, 08:47
I'm in the opposite boat- I'm certified and my husband isn't. Not sure if he'll ever really be interested. Right now he's intrigued because I've been out diving twice a week since I got certified, and he came to his first dive the other day (underwater pumpkin carving). I'd like for him to take the OW course, see if he likes it, but it has to be in his own time.

clayton
10-30-2007, 18:43
My wife and i both got certified at same time and did our advanced together and nitrox.We love diveing and doing it together brings us closre and makes holidays better,now we look for dive resorts instead of sandy beaches.:smiley31:

Chocoholic
10-30-2007, 19:46
I know it's not just info for women, but DAN Alert Diver has a lot of good info in it.