PDA

View Full Version : Zeagle Zena...

coralcrazed
10-24-2007, 10:15
wondering if any of you out there own this BC...? my wife is thinking of getting one. we read about it on theZeagle web site but wanted to get first hand exp. with it. how does it fit? is it adjustable and comfortable?

I need all the help in order to get her to stick to scuba ;) Thanks

SoSiouxme
10-24-2007, 12:09
I've had it for just over a year and put about 50 dives on it. It's comfortable and fits well -- the only criticism is that it is more difficult to get into because of the corset design than the cumberbund design. But I think the corset design is one of the reasons it fits so well and is so comfortable in the water.

Oh...and the pocket is useless. I just clip on everything I need but on dives where I take a lot of gadgets (light, slate, camera, SMB) I feel like a swimming yard sale.

Hope this helps,

--Sioux

ScubaToys Larry
10-24-2007, 12:32
I just did a quick search for Zena and there are probably at least 40 threads... Here's some highlights:

http://forum.scubatoys.com/bcs-buoyancy-compensators-stab-jackets/801-zeagle-zena.html

http://forum.scubatoys.com/womens-issues/5670-question-about-bcs.html

DennisW
10-24-2007, 15:27
My wife loves her Zena. She bought the extra pocket. It connects to the BC somehow at the top of the pocket and then straps to your thigh at the bottom of the pocket.

Zenagirl
10-24-2007, 16:28
I've had my Zena for over 3 years and put nearly 150 dives on it, and wouldn't dive any other BC. No cumberbun means that it doesn't ride up since the corset hugs your entire torso. Because it's a Zeagle there are 4 customizable components for a perfect fit everytime; as well as 6 points of fit on the Zena when donning, giving a custom fit regardless of the thickness of an exposure suit.

Personally, I think that it's easy to get into since you simply let out all the straps completely and lead into the "hole" with your elbow. It's also super easy to get out of, particularly in the case of a rescue course since it practically falls away once you unzip and unsnap! ;)

The only "disadvantage" that I've found is that you really can't adjust the fit properly on land (with a tank on). You have to do your final adjustments in the water, but that literally takes me less than a minute and I do it on my descent when I'm horizontal. Once I adjust my Zena, it never moves until I take it off at the end of the dive.

Like any BC, the Zena isn't for everyone and you really should try before you buy. Some people don't like the minimalist feeling and the lack of pockets, so everyone has to try for themselves.

coralcrazed
10-25-2007, 01:40
Thank you all for posting but, oh boy... My wife wants to order in colors. can anyone tell me if the BC is made in different colors. Looks, smells, and sounds like a custom order. At this point I'm just glad that shes even thinking about scuba so I'll have to keep the momentum going.

I guess I'll have to ask Larry about the color issue. Oh and what is the cost in a color? Thanks

ScubaToys Larry
10-25-2007, 04:53
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/bcds/pics/zeagle/zena.jpghttp://www.scubatoys.com/store/bcds/pics/zeagle/zenacolors.jpg

Zeagle Zena Womens BCD, BCDs-Womens BCDs, Zeagle, Zeagle Zena Womens BCD (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Zena)

coralcrazed
10-25-2007, 11:53
Larry...

ok, I did see those colors on the zeagle web site and she likes the grape or pink... but she now also wants the color on other parts of the BC like the bladder or straps. What would that cost to do?

Man, I thought I was bad with details... even I wasn't this particular though. Get ready Larry!

ScubaToys Larry
10-25-2007, 11:56
You can't do colors on that bladder. If you want a bladder with color - you have to go with a bagged bladder - like the ranger.

You can add color to the shoulder straps, pockets, etc - but it runs about $30 per panel you change - and will obviously be a special order and take about 2-3 weeks to be safe... sometimes faster.

Foo2
10-25-2007, 12:01
My vote is PINK!

Charlotte Smith
10-25-2007, 12:45
I have the Zena........it's a great BC and it is easy to get into in or out of the water and just tell her the color isn't going to make much difference under water and if she is tough enough to wear hers around with a tank strapped to it for everyone else to see topside then by all means tell her to color whatever she wants......BUT.....if she takes up spearfishing....no color is much better............

Zenagirl
10-25-2007, 14:14
Tell her that with the way the standard color is applied it will make her look slimmer. Seriously!! :D

coralcrazed
10-25-2007, 21:08
Tell her that with the way the standard color is applied it will make her look slimmer. Seriously!! :D
Oh I'm going to do that... maybe it will wok. we'll see.

h2oSOUKOUS
10-25-2007, 21:48
I like Pink.

kyfriedchipper
10-26-2007, 01:54
getting my wife one of these - going with black so colors won't fade

divechaplain-sara
10-26-2007, 02:12
I really like my Zena. I love that it fits around my curves. It is hard to zip once the tank is attached--especially after a second dive when things are wet--putting it on in the water makes it easy. I do wish it had better pockets--however, this way I have to only take what I really need.

chace_nicole
10-26-2007, 02:28
My wife loves her Zena. She bought the extra pocket. It connects to the BC somehow at the top of the pocket and then straps to your thigh at the bottom of the pocket.

Does this strap wrap around the thigh?

Zenagirl
10-26-2007, 08:28
I really like my Zena. I love that it fits around my curves. It is hard to zip once the tank is attached--especially after a second dive when things are wet--putting it on in the water makes it easy. I do wish it had better pockets--however, this way I have to only take what I really need.

Are you making sure to release all of the straps fully before you try to zip up? You should have enough slack in the straps to suit up even when wet.

bobbin-along
10-29-2007, 17:48
I had one, sold it.

I didn't like the corset thing at all. Some do love it though. It takes time to set it up and get it right, but since I dive dry and wet, plus all the pool classes it would require me to adjust it way too often.
I also didn't like how it fit with the dry suit.

Buying a BC is a big investment and it's great to take the time and try one before you dive one. Find someone local to borrow for a dive and see what you think.

divechaplain-sara
10-30-2007, 03:18

Are you making sure to release all of the straps fully before you try to zip up? You should have enough slack in the straps to suit up even when wet.

I think it was in part an issue with the angle being bad because I was on a boat and the tank was in a tank holder, etc, and my fingers being cold.:smiley5:

littledvr
10-31-2007, 17:36
just a quick thought.....maybe you could purchase a matching wet suit rather than special ordering the BCD. Women LOVE to coordinate everything.....and having options of your outerwear when diving is always a plus!

littledvr
10-31-2007, 17:38
just a quick thought.....maybe you could purchase a matching wet suit rather than special ordering the BCD. Women LOVE to coordinate everything.....and having options of your outerwear when diving is always a plus!

RonFrank
10-31-2007, 18:43
I am NOT female, nor do I own a Zena! :smiley20:

However I do own a Stiletto (Zeagle) and have nothing but great things to say about Zeagle in general. GREAT customer service! I've PM'd Scott Zeagle a couple of times, and guess who CALLED me back? Scott! Very solid product, competitive pricing, awesome service, what more can one ask for.

As to the Zena, I know several female divers who dive it, and love it. It's all about fit, and Zeagles are VERY modular, and adjustable.

I would recommend you also look at the LaZer. If it dives as well as my Stiletto, I can HIGHLY recommend that BC, and I've read reviews from female divers who speak highly of the Lazer. I think it maybe a bit more expensive vs. the Zena.

If you want your wife to continue diving, take her to someplace cool, like Coz, FL, Aruba, anywhere with good vis, warm water, and wonderful coral and marine life!

Anne Eastwell
10-31-2007, 19:38
I've only just got my Zena but the flexibility of fitting with corset and clips is great. It took about 5 minutes to feel comfortable with the lack of BC around my body.

The only thing that I have noticed with it (and it's to do with my physique rather than the BC), is that my right shoulder is much lower than my left and BC highlighted this. There's not enough adjustment over the shoulders to compensate.

Foo2
11-01-2007, 00:31
The only thing that I have noticed with it (and it's to do with my physique rather than the BC), is that my right shoulder is much lower than my left and BC highlighted this. There's not enough adjustment over the shoulders to compensate.

Anne,
That makes me wonder if you need a smaller shoulder piece. (I can't think of what to call it.:smiley36:)

Anne Eastwell
11-01-2007, 00:50

Anne,
That makes me wonder if you need a smaller shoulder piece. (I can't think of what to call it.:smiley36:)

That thought had crossed my mind very briefly just the other day, thanks for reminding me Foo2. I'll have to speak to my supplier and see what he says...