PDA

View Full Version : adjustable back fin

chip
10-24-2007, 09:31
I have not had or purchased any fins recently; are the current adjustable backstrap fins durable and do they hold up with moderate use ?

MSilvia
10-24-2007, 09:55
In my experience, they hold up pretty well but are almost always inferior to spring straps. I recommend replacing the mfgr's straps ASAP.

ScubaToys Larry
10-24-2007, 09:58
I've had standard straps last for 5+ years -and that is with a lot of diving, and a lot of chlorinated pools.... But the springs are cool, but it is an add on you can do any time for about 30 bucks: Tilos Spring Straps, Fins, Tilos, Tilos Spring Straps (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=TilosProDiverSpringStraps)

Jipps
10-24-2007, 11:07
Yah, ive been diving w/ the standard straps since i got my fins (lil over a year) and I havent had any problems. I do however want to switch to spring straps.

chip
10-24-2007, 12:03
With the reply's so far, I see that the back strap is not just a cheap deal. What about an actual fitted fin. Which is really the best for the money ?

NitroWill
10-24-2007, 12:09
Well the problem with a full foot fin is you pretty much have to wear it barefooted or with a lycra sock at most - which is not ideal for the colder waters or where a shore entry is necessary over rocky and rough terrain. best bet for most diving is the open heel fin.

Jipps
10-24-2007, 12:28
With the reply's so far, I see that the back strap is not just a cheap deal. What about an actual fitted fin. Which is really the best for the money ?

and depending on the shape of your foot, a closed heel fin will not always fit you well. Where as a open heel fin gives you many more options to get a good fit, anywhere from strap selection to different types of boots. For example, i ahve a size 12.5 narrow, very rarely will i fit into a full foot fin. The only ones ive found were the Omer Longblades.

chip
10-24-2007, 12:35
Thanks for the responses. I have always used full foot fins in the past, but was in areas where there were no problems and at times with only warm water. This insight is good -:smiley32: