PDA

View Full Version : What Knife?

lovesmexico615
10-24-2007, 10:41
I've decided it's time to buy a knife- better safe than sorry, right? I have the Mares Aliikai BC, which according to the literature can hold the Mares Force knife collection, which I can't seem to find anywhere. Plus, it seems that I should be able to find another knife that should fit on the BC. Not sure how it even attaches to the grommets though. Any input would be appreciated!
TIA!
Amanda

No Misses
10-24-2007, 11:07
I can not say for sure on your model of BC. On most BC's that have grommet holes for knife attachment, the holes are roughly 2-2.5 inches apart. This lines up with the 2 screw mounts on many knife sheaths. All you do is remove the "belt slide" and place it behind the grommets. Now re-install the 2 mounting screws that hold the belt slide to the back of the sheath. The grommets should now be sandwiched between the belt slide and the sheath. I hope this helped.

lovesmexico615
10-24-2007, 11:42
Got it- that makes sense. I'll have to check out my BC and see what the grommet span is.

datamunk
10-24-2007, 12:24
lots of people also get a knife and zip tie it, or even some have the right "parts" to mount to your inflator hose. that or put a smaller one there, and a larger on your leg which is how i roll ;)

BobArnold8265
10-24-2007, 12:28
I like to carry a small folding knife like the ScubaMax Folding Knife. I just keep it in a BC pocket.

terrillja
10-24-2007, 13:40
I have the oceanic spinner knives, which mount to the grommets on my oceanic probe lx bc. I love having them there within easy reach. If you can't find the mares knives, call ST and ask them if the spinner knives would fit.

BobbyWombat
10-24-2007, 13:57
You might be interested in this thread:

http://forum.scubatoys.com/accessories/4625-poll-dive-knife-vs-diving-shears.html

You might consider getting both some diving shears and a dive knife.

-BW

UCFKnightDiver
10-24-2007, 14:39
just a thouight its really really cheap but idk how good it is this knife

ScubaMax BCD dive Knife, Dive Knives, Scubamax, ScubaMax BCD dive Knife (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=ScubaMaxBCDdiveKnife)

terrillja
10-24-2007, 15:12
just a thouight its really really cheap but idk how good it is this knife

ScubaMax BCD dive Knife, Dive Knives, Scubamax, ScubaMax BCD dive Knife (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=ScubaMaxBCDdiveKnife)

How does it attach? I looked at them, but an have no clue how they attach, maybe I should call ST to ask. I had considered getting a few as backups.

WV Diver
10-24-2007, 15:26
Remora BC Knife, Dive Knives, Underwater Kinetics, Remora BC Knife (http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=Remora)

I love this remora knife. It mounts to the hose, to your BC or to your leg. The serrated edge always stays sharp, it's small, comes out easy but should never fall out and it's cheap. I have three, the one on my work rig is mounted to the LP hose, rec. diving I carry one on my leg.

Soon I will have two on my BC. I want to be able to reach a knife with either hand with my elbows against my side.

terrillja
10-24-2007, 15:34
Soon I will have two on my BC. I want to be able to reach a knife with either hand with my elbows against my side.

That's what I have, one on each side in a crossdraw setup, just in case one arm is pinned. Right now my right arm can't really reach in weird places since I just had surgery on my shoulder in august, so the knives need to be close.

lovesmexico615
10-24-2007, 22:09
Well, I was at my LDS tonight, ended up with an Atomic Aquatics Titanium knife. They gave me a good deal because one of the DM candidates was using it through the summer for some classes. 50% off, still razor sharp. It's a bit larger than what I was planning on, but at the price figured it would be a good start.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to attach it to my BC. The holster is larger than the grommet span, but the owner of the shop suggested zip-ties to secure it there. Then one of their other clients was telling me he has the same knife zip-tied to a d-ring on his shoulder. It's probably about 7-8 inches long, and would fit on the knife mount with some modification, so I will probably start there, unless anyone has any better ideas. I'm not looking for an ankle strap or anything like that.