PDA

View Full Version : Travel and Weights

moodymermaid
10-24-2007, 11:45
This might sound like a stupid question, but since I've started the process of buying my own gear I seem to have a lot of them...

I've noticed that in the places I often dive (Caribbean, usually Belize, Costa Rica, etc) the dive shops give you weight belts if you rent equipment. I've never noticed what people do about weights when they have their own gear and are away from home... presumably they rent them.

I'm planning to buy a BC that is weight integrated and I'm curious about whether when people travel they wind up having to use weight belts anyway. I guess my question is, do most dive shops tend to have the small weights that are made for the pockets? If not, are there weight integrated BCs that are easier to fit the other weights in?

NitroWill
10-24-2007, 11:57
Most places here in Florida - charter fees include tank and weights. They know that most people travel here and weight is obviously a big concern..So chance are, the charter includes the weights in the price - but it never hurts to call and ask before booking!

dallasdivergirl
10-24-2007, 12:02
I was just in Bonaire and I dive with 6lbs of weight. The only problem was that the smallest weight they had was a 2# and I needed some 1#. I think from now on I will carry two 1# with me.

Capt Hook
10-24-2007, 12:52
My wife carries a couple of 1 1/2 lb ankle weights with her. Other than that we always use the resorts weights, even for our video housing.

ScubaJenn81
10-24-2007, 12:55
I brought my weight intetegrated BC to Florida with me and ended up bringing my own weights as. They were able to fit in my carry on and did not weight a ton. The only thing I needed was a tank. They had weights to rent there, but weight belts hurt my hips, and I paid good money for my BC that fits nicely. I was glad I brought my own stuff, but some people are not as picky.

terrillja
10-24-2007, 13:31
When I was diving in St. Thomas, USVI, the dive shop had soft weights for me, but I called ahead to make sure they would have them.

Defman
10-24-2007, 13:45
I've never been anywhere that tanks & weight/belt were not included. I agree with DDG that 1# weights are hard to come by and carrying your own 1#ers might not be a bad idea.

BobbyWombat
10-24-2007, 13:51
Generally speaking, when travelling, leave the weights at home and rent when you get there.

There are some exceptions, as noted above, but I personally don't enjoy carrying lead around. Much rather shell out a couple bucks for the convenience of not having to lug it around.

Steve Scuba
10-24-2007, 14:09
I'd say it's also gotta depend a little on where you're going as well. Heading out to, say, Monterey California, you're not going to want to carry all that weight to compensate for the much greater exposure protection.

ParrotheadDiver
10-24-2007, 15:20
I am not sure what BC you are looking at....I use a zeagle escape and I use mesh weight pouches that you can buy at Scuba Toys...since the weights tend to rub against your bc pockets....most packages in the caribbean etc include tanks and weight belts and weights....I never travel with mine I need all that extra weight space for dive gear etc...a lot of the resorts have 2lb weights but mostly they have 3lb and up....the weight intergrated bc should accomodate most weights

divnhank
10-24-2007, 16:10
Most places provide weights and tanks. The only place I dove that didn't were boats in Pueget Sound. There you bring everything, tanks, weights, etc. If you need 6lbs just use 2 3lbs in the front, not in the trim. You might also call/email ahead of time and ask for them.

divnhank
10-24-2007, 16:18
I was just in Bonaire and I dive with 6lbs of weight. The only problem was that the smallest weight they had was a 2# and I needed some 1#. I think from now on I will carry two 1# with me.

Hey DallasDiverGirl,

Like the new photo. The indigo hamlet is one of my favorites. Sorry I missed you in Bonaire. I think the day you were coming in was the day I broke my foot! Yup, carrying Judy's gear to the shore for her, slipped and dropped it, tank and all.

tarheeldiver
10-25-2007, 08:10
I just use whats at the shop that are included, here on the NC coast I have to take my own as they don't furnish anything

Aussie
10-25-2007, 08:29
All dive shops/charters that I have used normally include tanks and weight. Sometime they charge you for a weight belt if you loose it. But they never give you a reward if you find one (I always find weights and belts). Fishing charter boats that sometimes do scuba charter often dont have anything.

For domestic travel (non flying) I just bring my own. I made my own weights that suit me fine. Flying domestic and internationally.....leave it all behind and use whats there. Save the weight of your baggage for other dive gear, camera gear and duty free:smiley20:

Aussie

dallasdivergirl
10-25-2007, 08:45

Hey DallasDiverGirl,

Like the new photo. The indigo hamlet is one of my favorites. Sorry I missed you in Bonaire. I think the day you were coming in was the day I broke my foot! Yup, carrying Judy's gear to the shore for her, slipped and dropped it, tank and all.

Hank,

I am so sorry to hear what happened to you! So, I guess you didn't get to dive or you dove thru the pain?

I love the indigo hamlets. One of the first fish I asked my DM about. He just handed me the fish book & told me to figure it out. I did not see one of them while I was in Bonaire. :smiley19: I did see barred hamlets but it's not the same.

divnhank
10-25-2007, 10:30
Hank,

I am so sorry to hear what happened to you! So, I guess you didn't get to dive or you dove thru the pain?

I love the indigo hamlets. One of the first fish I asked my DM about. He just handed me the fish book & told me to figure it out. I did not see one of them while I was in Bonaire. :smiley19: I did see barred hamlets but it's not the same.

Yes, many barred hamlets, and I did see one Indigo Hamlet. I did marathon dives from boat and Capt Don's on Saturday anyway. I didn't know it was broken until I got home.

I have a link to some of my pics from the trip...

Picasa Web Albums - Henry - Bonaire 2007 (http://picasaweb.google.com/henrya8/bonaire2007)

Take a look. Hope you had fun!

gibson1525
10-26-2007, 10:38
i'd agree about bringing a few 1lb wights if you need them b/c they are pretty hard to find.

since weight integrated bcs are becoming so popular i think you'll see an increase in dive shops having the soft weights that wear less on your weight pockets. i've been to a few places that have them but it's not that common. if you don't want hard weights wearing on you bc i'd bring 2 small cloth bags that you can put hard weights into to prevent unwanted wear.

Tableleg
10-26-2007, 11:49
I'm curious about whether when people travel they wind up having to use weight belts anyway. I bought my BC soley for the purpose of never having to wear another weight belt in my life! I hate those things!!!:smiley36:

When I rent weights and they give me the weight in a belt, I usually just use it to carry the lead around when we're not diving. Makes it much easier to keep up with and seperate from other people's weight. :smiley20:

Scubakraut
10-26-2007, 13:43
you take the weights off the belt and stuff em in your BC, that's what I do. You get discounts for having your own equipment but they will give you some weights for free included in your dive trip.

diversteve
10-26-2007, 14:08
I've traveled to about a dozen Caribbean dive destinations, Hawaii, and a couple liveaboards. In all cases weights were provided with tank rentals or a dive package. I have a W/I Zeagle and travel with mesh weight pockets, makes it easier to hand up your weights getting back on the boat.

One consideration is the size/shape of the weight pocket. I've noticed some BC's have a longer, more rectangular pocket and seem designed more for softweights. My Ranger pockets take just about anything, I've used lead shot, soft weights and hard weights up to 6lbs ea. - all fit easily in the pockets. Even a couple rocks once...lol

One thing watch for when buying a W/I BC is that some of them use velcro to hold the weight pockets in place. My friend has lost a weight pocket 2 of the last 3 years on our trips. I think she has an Oceanic BC ? but I'm not certain. It appears that the velcro just gets too worn and dirty to hold the pockets properly after a couple of years. I saw a really slick system on another BC that was a zipper pocket which held any kind of weight and slid into the BC and locked in place with a quick release clip. Might've been a ScubaPro...

cyclone
10-26-2007, 17:34
This might sound like a stupid question, but since I've started the process of buying my own gear I seem to have a lot of them...

I've noticed that in the places I often dive (Caribbean, usually Belize, Costa Rica, etc) the dive shops give you weight belts if you rent equipment. I've never noticed what people do about weights when they have their own gear and are away from home... presumably they rent them.

I'm planning to buy a BC that is weight integrated and I'm curious about whether when people travel they wind up having to use weight belts anyway. I guess my question is, do most dive shops tend to have the small weights that are made for the pockets? If not, are there weight integrated BCs that are easier to fit the other weights in?
I am sure they will offer you both.

GlockGuy
10-27-2007, 08:31
I dive an Oceanic Probe QLR BC and it uses a quick release buckle AND velcro to keep the integrated pouches in place. However, I ALSO keep some weight on a weight belt. That way, if I have to dump either the belt or the pouches, I haven't just ditched ALL of my weight. Having said that, I have pouches on the back of the BC for non-dumpable weight as well. My own weights are all soft, ranging from 1-5 lbs. However, my last trip to Cozumel forced me to use hard lead ingot weights. I found that they fit in all of my pouches just fine. However, that was the one trip where I didn't use a belt, since I was only diving one half of my 2-piece 5 mil suit and just didn't need as much weight.
The final advantage, to me anyway, of using a belt along with your BC integrated weights is that it lets you fine tune where exactly your weight is positioned, which helps me to trim myself better. I'm guessing that's why some folks like ankle weights so much.

Zenagirl
10-27-2007, 09:07
That's another reason my husband sold his SeaQuest BC and bought a Zeagle...he got SO tired of trying to stuff weights into the narrow pockets on the SeaQuest....and watching me drop my weights into my Zeagle pockets. ;)

We've always had weights provided on all of our charters thus far, but I also bring two 1-pound weights to make sure I can trim out perfectly.

bversteegh
10-27-2007, 21:57
I have a Seaquest with the velcro pockets - hate them (weights falling out is not fun); only use weight belt now. New Zeagle BC when I hit 250 posts:smiley20:

I have never had to pay extra for weights on charters or liveaboards - but agree 1 lb are hard to find. Also, when you get overseas, lots of the weights are in kilos - so be sure you know the conversion (1 kg = 2.2 lb)

divechaplain-sara
10-28-2007, 00:05
You can fly with your weights in your checked baggage--just know that TSA will open up your bags when you do. I carried my weights with me on my last trip--it was funny when I warned the lady as I was checking my bags that they were heavy--she said, "why do you have lead in there?"-- "as a matter of fact I do"

bubba105
11-02-2007, 10:04
I carry 8 oz fishing weights, 4 of them. I dive with 7 lbs and I can usually scrounge 1 3lb weight and compensate with the fishing weights. If not I just go with 8lbs.