PDA

View Full Version : matching stages

jakeeib
10-24-2007, 14:42
I bought a cressi 1st and 2nd stage set last year, I love the way it breaths, but the purge valve is very hard to operate with gloves (didnt have them on in the store) since most of my diving was cold water this is an issue, anyway, I moved the Cressi to my back up and bought an Apex 2nd stage primary, which I also love.
Several people have seen my set up and tell me this is dangerous since the stages arent "matched"
Any input? I dont plan on changing anytime soon unless someone with some background or an expert tells me its unsafe.

Aussie
10-24-2007, 15:11
I bought a cressi 1st and 2nd stage set last year, I love the way it breaths, but the purge valve is very hard to operate with gloves (didnt have them on in the store) since most of my diving was cold water this is an issue, anyway, I moved the Cressi to my back up and bought an Apex 2nd stage primary, which I also love.
Several people have seen my set up and tell me this is dangerous since the stages arent "matched"
Any input? I dont plan on changing anytime soon unless someone with some background or an expert tells me its unsafe.

So your diving with a Cressi first stage and a Apeks second stage, correct.

I cant see the problem.

The line pressure from the first stage are approximately the same, the lp hose from the first to the second is the same.

You see people all the time with different occys dont you? Isnt that the same kind of thing too.

Its just normally people buy the first and second stage in one purcase.

Aussie

No Misses
10-24-2007, 15:12
I don't see a problem with it. I dive a Mares Abyss 2nd stage w/Mares MR22 1st Stage, and a Zeagle Envoy octo.

The MR22 has an IP (Intermediate Pressure) of ~145 PSI (9.8 to 10.2 BAR)
Both 2nd stages work well with this IP.

BobbyWombat
10-24-2007, 15:32
Yeah, not a big deal to mix. You just want to make sure that the IP (intermediate pressure) out from your 1st stage is not outside the spec of what your 2nd stage is designed for.

Some 1st stages have signficantly higher IP and wouldn't match well. I think Posiedon might be one brand like this.

Jipps
10-24-2007, 18:21
shouldnt have any problem with mixing stages. Most first stages use the same low pressure, or close to it, noramally 130-150psi so you dont have many problems, and since you have been using it its obvious that you havent so far so probably wont, lol.

Texas_Aggie06
10-24-2007, 20:16
will a Scubapro R190 work with an Apeks ATX50? are the IP's okay?

jakeeib
10-25-2007, 12:47
OK thanks, pretty much what I thought and next time I buy a new reg I will try it with my gloves on...lol