PDA

View Full Version : Mammoth Lake

ertechsg
07-18-2007, 12:47
Hasanyone in the Texasareaknow anything about the new dive lake outsideHouston? I know there was a write up in one of the dive mags awhile back. Should be about open now if full of water. Looked like fun. Ofcourse, any place with water looks fun.

ertechsg
07-18-2007, 16:36
thought so last picks I'd seen needs alot of water

Vercingetorix
07-29-2007, 18:20
There was a presentation at SeaSpace 2007 about Mammoth Lake. It was still filling at the time and they anticipated that it would continue to fill until October. It would be open before then. Lots of stuff to explore. They showed photos of all the items in place while the water was still low; therefore, everything was above water.

It looks like a lot of fun. It would be great if we could organize a dive gathering there for a weekend. For instance, we'd drive down on Friday night (I live in Dallas). Dive on Saturday and Sunday and leave Sunday about 5 PM. Anybody interested?

Mammoth Lake (http://www.hydrosportsscuba.com)

EDIT: OK. The lake is not ready for divers (see ReefHound's post). Mabe next year, I guess.

fire diver
07-29-2007, 18:35
With all the rain lately, it's probably full and overflowing. It does look like a neat dive site. I wonder how long it will take for the sediment to settle out and the water to clear up? I know where you could get some zebra mussels!

FD

ReefHound
07-30-2007, 00:11
The owner Mike gives us a regular update on CHUM, last report was 3 days ago in this post (http://www.chumclub.org/forums/showpost.php?p=24928&postcount=122).

fire diver
07-30-2007, 00:43
sounds like a great report. Now if only I could do something about the distance I have to drive to get there....

FD

Bigg_Budd
08-03-2007, 17:42
Why build a scuba park 10 miles from the Gulf of Mexico? Is there a demand for that type of place? Does the diving stink out of Freeport? Is a boat trip to FGB the only option?

Don't get me wrong, I love me a good scuba park. It just seems like you could make more money if it was further inland. Like, say.......Dallas. I'm with you firediver, don't think I'll be making a trip down there any time soon.

ReefHound
08-03-2007, 20:32
Often people open businesses in a certain area just because that's where they happen to live. In this case, the park is being developed by longtime local dive ship owners of Hydrosports Scuba. Besides, you can't just "make" a scuba lake any ole place by digging a big hole, you have to take advantage of existing geography. This was a huge sandpit that was at the end of it's life, and a high water table that would naturally fill it. It was going to become a lake either way, so the guy got the permits, arranged for the underwater attractions, and made it a scuba park.

I think it's a pretty good location. The only decent gulf diving is at least 20 miles offshore so the only real option beside FG trips are day trips to the rigs. Those will run about $200. So nothing in the area for training or getting wet cheap. And offshore trips get blown out frequently so this could be a plan B for people who drove in from some distance for a FG trip.

The park will also draw well from Houston if it gets the expected viz of 15-25'. The only current options for Houston are Twin Lakes (10-15' max viz) and Blue Lagoon (hour north of Houston). Mammoth is only about half an hour further drive on open highway than Twin Lakes. I could get to Mammoth as quickly as to Blue Lagoon.

I have seen a lot of structural improvements at Twin Lakes in the past year and I think it is due to the expected competition.

Bigg_Budd
08-03-2007, 21:14
Well there you have it; there's a demand. Thanks for the schooling ReefHound.

Vercingetorix
06-09-2008, 13:32
Mammoth Park opened on 1 June 2008

donnajsd
06-09-2008, 14:33
hubby and i and a few friends are going to dive there on saturday june 21st. i'll post a report afterwards:)

TitaniumDiver
06-23-2008, 13:11
Where exaclty is mammoth lake, I live in richmond. just moved back recently after being gone for twelve years.

Coaster
06-23-2008, 14:57
Where exaclty is mammoth lake, I live in richmond. just moved back recently after being gone for twelve years.

Check out the link in page #3 of this thread.

wsodonnell
06-25-2008, 12:21
I Went To Mammoth This Past Sunday. There Is A lot To See And I Would Encourage Anybody Going To Twin Lakes (went There The Previous Weekend) To Blow Right Past And Go The Extra 30 Minutes To Mammoth. Shop Personnel Was Great, Quality Air Fills, Etc. I've Driven To The Blue Lagoon Twice With No One On The Air Fill Station And Nothing Really To See Underwater Anyway. The Vis At Mammoth Isn't Cozumel But Its About As Good As This Area Of Texas Is Going To Be And They Are Working To Improve Visibility. I Will Definitely Be Going Back To Spend A Couple Of Days. (and I Still Won't Be Able To Really See It All)

Vercingetorix
06-25-2008, 12:34
wsodonnell, thanks for the report. I'm trying to get the ScubaDillos to make a dive trip there for a long weekend.

//I See You Like To Use That Shift Key A Bunch...LOL